Windows restore

My computer is acting funny. If it's running andI don't do anything on it
for 5 minutes or so it freezes up. I've been told that I may be infected
with some virus and I should try windows restore to some point in time before
this started happening. If I do that, what happens to all the info I've
added to computer in the interim. For example I use a program to keep my
accounting for my business. Will I lose everything I've inputed following
the restore point? Do I need to save everything in that program first and
then put back in? and what about programs. For example, I just paid to add
a new version of my security program.. What will happen to that? Last , but
not least, is there a better solution to try to fix this problem?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows restore

    Do not use System Restore if you think you have a virus.
    The virus may have also infected the System Restore points.
    Instead, perform the following:

    Download Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites

    3 Simple Steps to Insure the Security of Your PC

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Wesill" wrote:

    | My computer is acting funny. If it's running andI don't do anything on it
    | for 5 minutes or so it freezes up. I've been told that I may be infected
    | with some virus and I should try windows restore to some point in time before
    | this started happening. If I do that, what happens to all the info I've
    | added to computer in the interim. For example I use a program to keep my
    | accounting for my business. Will I lose everything I've inputed following
    | the restore point? Do I need to save everything in that program first and
    | then put back in? and what about programs. For example, I just paid to add
    | a new version of my security program.. What will happen to that? Last , but
    | not least, is there a better solution to try to fix this problem?

    "Last, but not least, is there a better solution to try to fix this
    problem?"

    I suppose you could install antivirus software and learn how to use it.

    "Protect Your PC"
    www.microsoft.com/protect
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Wesill" <Wesill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer is acting funny. If it's running andI don't do anything on it
    > for 5 minutes or so it freezes up. I've been told that I may be infected
    > with some virus and I should try windows restore to some point in time
    before
    > this started happening. If I do that, what happens to all the info I've
    > added to computer in the interim. For example I use a program to keep my
    > accounting for my business. Will I lose everything I've inputed following
    > the restore point? Do I need to save everything in that program first and
    > then put back in? and what about programs. For example, I just paid to
    add
    > a new version of my security program.. What will happen to that? Last ,
    but
    > not least, is there a better solution to try to fix this problem?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP