Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

No.

" Skyrim is powered by Bethesda's own Creation Engine which is the company's entirely new engine." Quoted from Skyrim's Wikipedia page, check that one for more info on this engine.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

This could explain the many bugs people are experiencing - New engine running on hundreds of thousands of different hardware setups is bound to be buggy. Unless it's

made from a company that actually finish the engine before launching games with it (Valve, Blizzard and more)

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Most likely you're right. What's really bad is that a lot of respected companies lately launch half-baked software (games), don't know who to trust anymore.

But at least for me, this engine runs very smooth for now, unlike Fallout's.

The creation engine might be built from the ground up, but looks more like a modified version of the engine used to create Oblivion, fallout, etc. New vegas was a glitchy, sad pile of crap made by obsidian. At least skyrim has a devout following of modders willing to fix every issue before bethesda does.
Skyrim, even when maxed still looks like a pixelated port, but is still a phenomenal game nonetheless

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

This link has detailed information on the Creation Engine.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim/b/xbox360/archive/2011/01/17/the-technology-behind-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Skyrim feels like a modified and graphically tweaked oblivion.

It graphically looks leaps and bounds better than oblivion.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I really don't think Skyrim looks that bad other than some shadow issues and some poor textures that could do with patching/modding.

Skyrim as a whole package looks amazing imo, sure it doesn't have the best technical graphics but the landscape and detail is gorgeous. When I first explored Skyrim I was in awe, and just didn't seem to experience or encounter the problems that people were reporting.

In the last couple of days however problems seem to of gotten worse since the last patch.
The main problems for me are the constant CTD and odd purple textures, which I just can't get rid off and hope Bethesda fixes these issues in the next patch.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Those are the EXACT same problems I am having. I get CTD every 10-15 minutes and CONSTANTLY have to reboot.

They need to fix the cpu dependency on this game. My gpu should be handling alot more than just pixel generation

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Yes I agree, they really need to sort optimization out.
I'm not holding my breath though, Bethesda don't seem too keen on fixing there games.

I took a chance and got the FX 4100. it was a steal on sale and i am surprised the gains i have over my old phenomII with the ridiculous black cloud surrounding BD ATM. 4Ghz stable on stock voltages. I know the next stepping will be better but for 109 bux i gambled a bit.

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

It's a bit odd to me that they would offload the shadow rendering to the cpu when you would think that a GPU would be more capable in most instances to handle it better.

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Have you tried some of the tweaks/fixes I posted in my thread? It's "skyrim experience". I keep it updated pretty frequently as more mods and solutions popup for the game. I'm hoping Bethesda fixes a lot of these issues this coming friday.

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Well, it was mentioned that it was due out 1 week after thanksgiving so I'm guessing that as friday. :(

David Wiita

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Fallout 3 and New Vegas run on Gamebryo, by the way.

So the answer to the actual question is: no, Skyrim uses Bethesda's Creation Engine; Fallout 3 and New Vegas run on Gamebryo.