Skyrim engine?

Does Skyrim use the exact same engine as oblivion and fallout 3/new vegas? Or is it different or a modified version?
22 answers Last reply
More about skyrim engine
  1. its pretty much exactly the same engine as fallout new vagas, which isnt the same engine as oblivion. as far as i know... if you listen you will hear a lot of the fallout audio. but there is nothing in the game that is from oblivion as far as i know.
  2. ambam said:
    Does Skyrim use the exact same engine as oblivion and fallout 3/new vegas? Or is it different or a modified version?


    No.

    " Skyrim is powered by Bethesda's own Creation Engine which is the company's entirely new engine." Quoted from Skyrim's Wikipedia page, check that one for more info on this engine.
  3. Eldd said:
    No.

    " Skyrim is powered by Bethesda's own Creation Engine which is the company's entirely new engine." Quoted from Skyrim's Wikipedia page, check that one for more info on this engine.



    This could explain the many bugs people are experiencing - New engine running on hundreds of thousands of different hardware setups is bound to be buggy. Unless it's

    made from a company that actually finish the engine before launching games with it (Valve, Blizzard and more)
  4. Most likely you're right. What's really bad is that a lot of respected companies lately launch half-baked software (games), don't know who to trust anymore.

    But at least for me, this engine runs very smooth for now, unlike Fallout's.
  5. The creation engine might be built from the ground up, but looks more like a modified version of the engine used to create Oblivion, fallout, etc. New vegas was a glitchy, sad pile of crap made by obsidian. At least skyrim has a devout following of modders willing to fix every issue before bethesda does.
    Skyrim, even when maxed still looks like a pixelated port, but is still a phenomenal game nonetheless
  6. FlintIronStagg said:
    The creation engine might be built from the ground up, but looks more like a modified version of the engine used to create Oblivion, fallout, etc. New vegas was a glitchy, sad pile of crap made by obsidian. At least skyrim has a devout following of modders willing to fix every issue before bethesda does.
    Skyrim, even when maxed still looks like a pixelated port, but is still a phenomenal game nonetheless



    This link has detailed information on the Creation Engine.

    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim/b/xbox360/archive/2011/01/17/the-technology-behind-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx
  7. tekmage said:


    Skyrim feels like a modified and graphically tweaked oblivion.

    It graphically looks leaps and bounds better than oblivion.
  8. I really don't think Skyrim looks that bad other than some shadow issues and some poor textures that could do with patching/modding.

    Skyrim as a whole package looks amazing imo, sure it doesn't have the best technical graphics but the landscape and detail is gorgeous. When I first explored Skyrim I was in awe, and just didn't seem to experience or encounter the problems that people were reporting.

    In the last couple of days however problems seem to of gotten worse since the last patch.
    The main problems for me are the constant CTD and odd purple textures, which I just can't get rid off and hope Bethesda fixes these issues in the next patch.
  9. Gothams Finest said:
    I really don't think Skyrim looks that bad other than some not shadow issues and some poor textures that could do with patching/modding.

    Skyrim as a whole package looks amazing imo, sure it doesn't have the best technical graphics but the landscape and detail is gorgeous. When I first explored Skyrim I was in awe, and just didn't seem to experience or encounter the problems that people were reporting.

    In the last couple of days however problems seem to of gotten worse since the last patch.
    The main problems for me are the constant CTD and odd purple textures, which I just can't get rid off and hope Bethesda fixes these issues in the next patch.


    Those are the EXACT same problems I am having. I get CTD every 10-15 minutes and CONSTANTLY have to reboot.
  10. Yeah there seems to be a lot of people getting the same problem.
    Theres a new patch coming out beginning of next week so hopefully that will fix it.
  11. Gothams Finest said:
    Yeah there seems to be a lot of people getting the same problem.
    Theres a new patch coming out beginning of next week so hopefully that will fix it.

    They need to fix the cpu dependency on this game. My gpu should be handling alot more than just pixel generation
  12. FlintIronStagg said:
    They need to fix the cpu dependency on this game. My gpu should be handling alot more than just pixel generation


    Yes I agree, they really need to sort optimization out.
    I'm not holding my breath though, Bethesda don't seem too keen on fixing there games.
  13. no not really, esp when they have a community of fans that do all the optimization/tweaks for them. Upgrqading my cpu did wonders for the game though, go figure
  14. Well Skyrim offloads shadow rendering to the CPU which is why the CPU gets hammerd so much, so I'm not surprised it improved performance for you. What CPU did you get?
  15. I took a chance and got the FX 4100. it was a steal on sale and i am surprised the gains i have over my old phenomII with the ridiculous black cloud surrounding BD ATM. 4Ghz stable on stock voltages. I know the next stepping will be better but for 109 bux i gambled a bit.
  16. Gothams Finest said:
    Well Skyrim offloads shadow rendering to the CPU which is why the CPU gets hammerd so much, so I'm not surprised it improved performance for you. What CPU did you get?



    It's a bit odd to me that they would offload the shadow rendering to the cpu when you would think that a GPU would be more capable in most instances to handle it better.
  17. Yeah it is odd.
    Bethesda really need to sort the optimization out.
  18. ambam said:
    Those are the EXACT same problems I am having. I get CTD every 10-15 minutes and CONSTANTLY have to reboot.


    Have you tried some of the tweaks/fixes I posted in my thread? It's "skyrim experience". I keep it updated pretty frequently as more mods and solutions popup for the game. I'm hoping Bethesda fixes a lot of these issues this coming friday.
  19. Friday? I thought the new patch was coming out at start of the week.
  20. Gothams Finest said:
    Friday? I thought the new patch was coming out at start of the week.


    Well, it was mentioned that it was due out 1 week after thanksgiving so I'm guessing that as friday. :(
  21. Ahh, I read its going live first half of this week so fingers crossed they sort the CTD, purple textures and poor optimization issues out.
  22. Fallout 3 and New Vegas run on Gamebryo, by the way.

    So the answer to the actual question is: no, Skyrim uses Bethesda's Creation Engine; Fallout 3 and New Vegas run on Gamebryo.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Engine Oblivion Skyrim Video Games