NAC MOU????

Last response: in Network Providers
December 18, 2004 8:22:26 PM

About a year ago (after some persistence) I switched my national single rate
plan to "national access minutes of use ". I did this so I could access the
express network when I couldn't access my WI-FI connection. The other day I
was unable to connect to my express network and had to call tech support at
verizon. I was informed that minutes of use national access was no longer
available and that I had erroneously acquired it in the beginning, and that
they were now removing me from that system. The rep them told me that I
would have to sign the for one of their data plans... At what I considered
an extravagant cost. Based on what the rep informed me, viewing for example
a one-page web site such as eBay on a per kB plan would cost me
approximately $45 just to view that page, however they could sign me up for
a per month unlimited plan at about 80 bucks. After a much heated discussion
and a threat to cancel Verizons service he agreed to switch me back to the
plan I had before (national access minutes of use).

I did get connected to the express network and did my business , but now
have some trepidation that the representative may have canceled my national
access minutes of use plan and put me on the per kB data plan.. Which would
entail a charge of approximately $750 (based on the reps estimate). Is the
national access minutes of use plan dead in the water or did I get a
confused tech rep? Right now I am scared to use my express network for fear
of excessive charges. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

--
CorkyF

--
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -miserable, as all spoiled
children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill- disciplined, despotic and

More about : nac mou

December 18, 2004 8:22:27 PM

Hi,
I am having the same problem, but am getting nowhere with customer service,
they say they have never heard of MOU. My connection has stopped working.
Any help appreciated!
Steve

"Roughrider50" <corkyf56@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> About a year ago (after some persistence) I switched my national single
> rate plan to "national access minutes of use ". I did this so I could
> access the express network when I couldn't access my WI-FI connection. The
> other day I was unable to connect to my express network and had to call
> tech support at verizon. I was informed that minutes of use national
> access was no longer available and that I had erroneously acquired it in
> the beginning, and that they were now removing me from that system. The
> rep them told me that I would have to sign the for one of their data
> plans... At what I considered an extravagant cost. Based on what the rep
> informed me, viewing for example a one-page web site such as eBay on a per
> kB plan would cost me approximately $45 just to view that page, however
> they could sign me up for a per month unlimited plan at about 80 bucks.
> After a much heated discussion and a threat to cancel Verizons service he
> agreed to switch me back to the plan I had before (national access minutes
> of use).
>
> I did get connected to the express network and did my business , but now
> have some trepidation that the representative may have canceled my
> national access minutes of use plan and put me on the per kB data plan..
> Which would entail a charge of approximately $750 (based on the reps
> estimate). Is the national access minutes of use plan dead in the water or
> did I get a confused tech rep? Right now I am scared to use my express
> network for fear of excessive charges. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> CorkyF
>

> --
> At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -miserable, as all spoiled
> children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill- disciplined, despotic and
> useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." -P J O'Rourke

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 8:22:28 PM

Steve wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having the same problem, but am getting nowhere with customer
> service, they say they have never heard of MOU. My connection has
> stopped working. Any help appreciated!
> Steve

INTERNET CONNECTIVITY TUTORIAL (V8/22/04)

Over the past two+ years I have been "surfing" the internet
10 to 15 HOURS (600 -900 minutes) each WEEK through my cell
phone coast to coast and border to border and my
recommendation for Internet access is as follows:

Get the Verizon nationwide "America's Choice" Plan. You
will have Unlimited free Night & Weekend minutes, unlimited
free mobile-to-mobile minutes, and free internet access with
the Verizon "Quick 2 Net" (Q2N). Also, Verizon is your ISP
at no additional cost. There is no need to pay monthly for
an ISP like AOL or Earthlink unless you just want to keep
the same email address, or you have a "home base' with
landline connectivity. With two mouse clicks, Verizon
internet access takes about 8 seconds then the Verizon
"QuickLink Mobile" software starts Internet Explorer and
your Home page begins to load. Or, if during the day
when minutes are ticking, you can click on Outlook
Express (or other Email program) as your Home page
loads and send/download your email in a minute or two.

Verizon America's Choice Plan coverage can be seen at:

1. Verizon Digital & Analog voice coverage:
http://tinyurl.com/24mp7
2. Verizon Digital-ONLY Coverage (Voice & Internet):
http://tinyurl.com/37r2l
3. Verizon High speed "National Access" (1XRTT) coverage:
http://tinyurl.com/246v6

Verizon Single Rate Plan (no free minutes) coverage:
http://tinyurl.com/z9sk

Verizon, AT&T, Cingular & Sprint comparison
http://tinyurl.com/5trrx

The America's Choice Plan is $39.99/mo w/400 regular
minutes; or $49.99 w/500 regular minutes, or $59.99 w/800
regular minutes, etc. Your only other expense would be a
one-time purchase of the Verizon "Mobile Office Kit" for
about $40 which I highly recommend. It will have; (1) a
cable to connect your phone to your laptop (or desktop), (2)
"Quicklink Mobile" software to automate internet access,
along with other utilities, and (3) the Verizon/Smith Micro
Venturi accelerator software which works on the Verizon low
speed Quick2Net (Q2N), as well as on the current Verizon
high speed data net now called "National Access".

For any internet access on any Verizon data network you must
have a digital signal. Internet "access" on the "Q2N" is
free with ANY Verizon Wireless account. "Time" on-line on
the Q2N is also free when accessed during free minute
nights, weekends and certain holidays. During the day, time
counts against regular Plan minutes. There are three plans
(extra $$) for access to the high speed "National Access"
net. However, new subscribers are automatically having a
feature called "National Access Extended Service Access"
added to their America's Choice Plan at no monthly cost
when they purchase their phone and service. Having this
feature provides "backdoor" internet access for just
"Minutes of Use" on your Plan. Use of the high speed data
network (and the Q2N) is therefore free on nights,
weekends and certain holidays with an America's Choice Plan.

If you are an existing subscriber you can also get the no
cost 'National Access Extended Service Access" feature added
to your plan. Just call 611 and ask for the feature so that YOU
CAN USE GIN (Get-It-Now) STUFF". (GIN stuff relates to
downloading (for a fee) Ring Tones, Games, Pictures, and
other items.) DO NOT ask for it in order to access the
Internet with your computer. Do NOT complain that all NEW
subscriber Plans include the feature. Do NOT discuss the
issue if refused; just call again.

Verizon Wireless does not currently provide email addresses
for cell phone accounts. SKP's can get a "Free For Life"
email account through the Escapees Club
(http://mail.escapees.com ). I primarily use the Lycos.com
"Premium Service" for $1.67 a month. (Excite & Yahoo, MSN,
etc also have "Premium".) With any of these Email accounts
you can send/download your mail in under a minute or so
during the day when minutes are ticking, then read/compose
off-line using Outlook Express, Eudora, etc. Another very
useful (free) service is "Efax". You can be assigned a 10
digit fax number by "Efax" by going to:
>> https://www2.efax.com/efax/twa/signupFree <<
Folks can then send you a fax from their home or office
machine; it comes in as an attachment to an email.

Be sure to go to a Verizon "Company" store. DO NOT go to a
Verizon "Partner" store like Radio Shack , Circuit City, nor
even a Verizon kiosk in a Mall. Generally, the sales reps
at these locations do not have a clue about internet access
with a cell phone; they just sell 'em!. Also, the
"proprietary" and manufacturer" connectivity kits that
"partner" stores sell do not include the Verizon/Venturi
accelerator software, nor will these non-Verizon kits
necessarily work properly for both of the Verizon data
networks. IF THERE IS NOT a "Company" store nearby, CALL
1-800-2-Join-In; you will have your phone and Mobile Office
Kit in two days. If they just do not offer a Mobile Office
Kit for your phone, there may be workable alternatives; ask
on the InternetByCellPhone Forum.

But first, you need to chose a phone. Here are the current
"Tri-mode" choices available except for the high end
PDA/Smartphones. But NOT ALL are available in all Verizon
markets. You can check these phones in more detail at
www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php . If a phone you like is
not available at your store or on the Verizon Website for a your
Zip Code ( www.verizonwireless.com ), it can probably be obtained
by ordering directly from Verizon at 1-800-2-Join-In.

Audiovox CDM-8600
Audiovox CDM-8900 (Camera Phone)
LG VX-7000a (Camera Phone)
Motorola C343a
Motorola V60s
Kyocera KX414
Nokia 3589i / 3587i
Samsung SCH-A650

There are still a lot of "Analog" areas around the country
so be sure your phone supports "AMPS 800", as well as
Digital "CDMA 800 & CDMA 1900", as well as High Speed Data
"CDMA 2000 1XRTT". You can not even call 911 if in an
Analog area with a "Digital Only" phone.

Then later, when talking with a Verizon sales Rep, BE SURE
your choice has a companion Verizon "Mobile Office Kit"
available. Some phones do not.
December 18, 2004 8:22:29 PM

I have the Americas Choice Plan, and mobile office, and was connecting as
you say with no problem, however it suddenly stopped working. Have good
connection between laptop and phone, just wont connect.
Steve

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> not available at your store or on the Verizon Website for a your
> Zip Code ( www.verizonwireless.com ), it can probably be obtained
> by ordering directly from Verizon at 1-800-2-Join-In.
>
> Audiovox CDM-8600
> Audiovox CDM-8900 (Camera Phone)
> LG VX-7000a (Camera Phone)
> Motorola C343a
> Motorola V60s
> Kyocera KX414
> Nokia 3589i / 3587i
> Samsung SCH-A650
>
> There are still a lot of "Analog" areas around the country
> so be sure your phone supports "AMPS 800", as well as
> Digital "CDMA 800 & CDMA 1900", as well as High Speed Data
> "CDMA 2000 1XRTT". You can not even call 911 if in an
> Analog area with a "Digital Only" phone.
>
> Then later, when talking with a Verizon sales Rep, BE SURE
> your choice has a companion Verizon "Mobile Office Kit"

December 18, 2004 8:22:30 PM

Steve wrote:
> I have the Americas Choice Plan, and mobile office, and was
> connecting as you say with no problem, however it suddenly stopped
> working. Have good connection between laptop and phone, just wont
> connect.
> Steve

It won't connect even on the Q2N !?!?!??!?!?! (Quick to Net). If not thats a
totally separate problem. Just to be sure, see if it will connect via Q2N
(don't do anything that slow, but at least see if it works).

May also depend where you are. They are updating areas for EVDO on weekends,
and sometimes temporarily cut off 1x while they switch over.

(happened to me a few month ago in vegas when they switch to
EVDO/broadband... data (not voice) was down for a weekend)
December 18, 2004 8:22:31 PM

Won't connect to either Express or Q2N, despite good phone conection, says
computer that I am connecting to does not respond.

> Steve wrote:
>> I have the Americas Choice Plan, and mobile office, and was
>> connecting as you say with no problem, however it suddenly stopped
>> working. Have good connection between laptop and phone, just wont
>> connect.
>> Steve
>>

> It won't connect even on the Q2N !?!?!??!?!?! (Quick to Net). If not thats
> totally separate problem. Just to be sure, see if it will connect via Q2N
> (don't do anything that slow, but at least see if it works).
>
> May also depend where you are. They are updating areas for EVDO on
> weekends,
> and sometimes temporarily cut off 1x while they switch over.
>
> (happened to me a few month ago in vegas when they switch to
> EVDO/broadband... data (not voice) was down for a weekend)

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 8:22:32 PM

If your phone works for voice, but not for Q2N stuff, then your software is
screwed up. No way Quick 2 Net (the slow Q2N) won't work if voice does. Try
deleting it and then reinstalling it. (or if you have two puters, try
installing it fresh on another one).

Did you my any change install any other software or a firewall since you
last used it?

Steve wrote:
> Won't connect to either Express or Q2N, despite good phone conection,
> says computer that I am connecting to does not respond.
>
> Steve
>
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Steve wrote:
>>> I have the Americas Choice Plan, and mobile office, and was
>>> connecting as you say with no problem, however it suddenly stopped
>>> working. Have good connection between laptop and phone, just wont
>>> connect.
>>> Steve
>>>

>> It won't connect even on the Q2N !?!?!??!?!?! (Quick to Net). If not
>> thats a
>> totally separate problem. Just to be sure, see if it will connect
>> via Q2N (don't do anything that slow, but at least see if it works).
>>
>> May also depend where you are. They are updating areas for EVDO on
>> weekends,
>> and sometimes temporarily cut off 1x while they switch over.
>>
>> (happened to me a few month ago in vegas when they switch to
>> EVDO/broadband... data (not voice) was down for a weekend)
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 8:22:32 PM

Not that I doubt you that are having problems but it's important to note
that
serial port issues can simply be a real bugger to resolve, and the hoaky
USB to emulated serial port drivers sometimes need to be re-installed etc.

You need to add a generic modem, pointing at the appropriate serial
port with the correct speed. 19,200 is correct for QNC. 115,200
is typical for 1X (although 230,400 can work if your serial driver
also supports).

You also need to make your port speed match on both sides. i.e. if the
laptop says port speed is 115,200 then you need the tethered phone's
data mode to say 115,200.

In addition if you have a 1X capable phone, in general, you will need
to send it an init string to connect via QNC. Add a generic 19,200
modem and add this string under extra settings: AT$QCMDR=2

Anyway, both 1X and circuit switched minutes of use continue to work
for me here in Eugene. Everyone seems panic'd about losing this feature.

If you've been using it for months without charge, and you even have
"national access" listed on your bill under feature codes, then I would
find it very hard for Verizon to bill you -- at least the first time. I
mean
you can show them past statements where you were not billed for the
same service as an example. This doesn't protect you indefinitely--
it basically tends to get charges removed exactly once. Once they
tell you a feature is no longer available, and removed the charges once
it's basically understood that using the service again would result in
charged you'd have to pay. Not to worry, necessarily- they certainly
have not done this across the board at this time.

With the new Cingular allowing folks to tether with the unlimited $20/month
plan (where it doesn't even use minutes) now would be a poor time
for Verizon to decide to remove this feature. For one, they'd lose
my business over this issue if they removed all free forms of data.

QNC is fine for my needs, and it was all I was promised when I
signed. At that time, included data was officially support via
an offer called "Mobile Office for Circuit Switched Data"

The so-called high speed, doesn't have much effect on my SSH
connections, infact latency tends to be higher so I tend to prefer
QNC...

-Dan

PS: Mr. Navas is a long-term guru of serial port and modem
issues. Suffice it to say, there are many technical reasons
why a connection can stop working that really have nothing to
do with Verizon policy. I suspect at least some of the folks
worried about the loss of MOU are experiencing this rather
than a policy change..

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

This must be a pretty old map as WI still shows Sprint coverage as digital.
They took Sprint off of the PRL quite awhile ago and even when they had it
included, nothing worked and I mean nothing other than making a call and
receiving a call, not even callerID.

> 2. Verizon Digital-ONLY Coverage (Voice & Internet):
> http://tinyurl.com/37r2l
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 12:15:25 AM

Roughrider50 wrote:
> About a year ago (after some persistence) I switched my national single rate
> plan to "national access minutes of use ". I did this so I could access the
> express network when I couldn't access my WI-FI connection. The other day I
> was unable to connect to my express network and had to call tech support at
> verizon. I was informed that minutes of use national access was no longer
> available and that I had erroneously acquired it in the beginning, and that
> they were now removing me from that system. The rep them told me that I
> would have to sign the for one of their data plans... At what I considered
> an extravagant cost. Based on what the rep informed me, viewing for example
> a one-page web site such as eBay on a per kB plan would cost me
> approximately $45 just to view that page, however they could sign me up for
> a per month unlimited plan at about 80 bucks. After a much heated discussion
> and a threat to cancel Verizons service he agreed to switch me back to the
> plan I had before (national access minutes of use).
>
> I did get connected to the express network and did my business , but now
> have some trepidation that the representative may have canceled my national
> access minutes of use plan and put me on the per kB data plan.. Which would
> entail a charge of approximately $750 (based on the reps estimate). Is the
> national access minutes of use plan dead in the water or did I get a
> confused tech rep? Right now I am scared to use my express network for fear
> of excessive charges. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

I think you had a clueless rep. The vzw website still lists the
National Access data/voice plan. You may have gotten caught in a
network problem related to the EVDO upgrade.

Art
December 19, 2004 12:15:26 AM

My connection suddenly doesn't work, no changes. Tried reinstalling
software, no help! Your thoughts?
Steve

"Art" <art@nospam.org> wrote in message news:N51xd.2729$tG3.1409@trnddc02...
> Roughrider50 wrote:
>> About a year ago (after some persistence) I switched my national single
>> rate plan to "national access minutes of use ". I did this so I could
>> access the express network when I couldn't access my WI-FI connection.
>> The other day I was unable to connect to my express network and had to
>> call tech support at verizon. I was informed that minutes of use national
>> access was no longer available and that I had erroneously acquired it in
>> the beginning, and that they were now removing me from that system. The
>> rep them told me that I would have to sign the for one of their data
>> plans... At what I considered an extravagant cost. Based on what the rep
>> informed me, viewing for example a one-page web site such as eBay on a
>> per kB plan would cost me approximately $45 just to view that page,
>> however they could sign me up for a per month unlimited plan at about 80
>> bucks. After a much heated discussion and a threat to cancel Verizons
>> service he agreed to switch me back to the plan I had before (national
>> access minutes of use).
>>
>> I did get connected to the express network and did my business , but now
>> have some trepidation that the representative may have canceled my
>> national access minutes of use plan and put me on the per kB data plan..
>> Which would entail a charge of approximately $750 (based on the reps
>> estimate). Is the national access minutes of use plan dead in the water
>> or did I get a confused tech rep? Right now I am scared to use my express
>> network for fear of excessive charges. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
>
> I think you had a clueless rep. The vzw website still lists the National
> Access data/voice plan. You may have gotten caught in a network problem
> related to the EVDO upgrade.
>
> Art
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 12:15:27 AM

Steve wrote:
> My connection suddenly doesn't work, no changes. Tried reinstalling
> software, no help! Your thoughts?
> Steve

If it still doesn't work after reinstallation, sounds like your hardware may
have taken a dump. If you reinstalled the software, doesn't work on Q2N, and
you can call voice, has to be between/including the port on the computer and
the connector on your phone. Is there another puter you can try it on?
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 3:02:11 AM

But my account now says "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" rather than "National
Access", like it used to. Haven't tried a data connection recently, but
I wonder if they are in the process of disabling tethered National Access
unless you are on a data plan, otherwise only allowing the internal apps
(Picture Messaging, GetItNow).

If a lot of people are finding their tethered access suddenly not working,
it makes you wonder.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 3:02:12 AM

CharlesH wrote:
> But my account now says "Natl Enhanced Svc Access" rather than
> "National Access", like it used to. Haven't tried a data connection
> recently, but
> I wonder if they are in the process of disabling tethered National
> Access unless you are on a data plan, otherwise only allowing the
> internal apps (Picture Messaging, GetItNow).
>
> If a lot of people are finding their tethered access suddenly not
> working, it makes you wonder.

Nope.. my bill says that too.. they changed the name... Heck when I first
got it years ago, it used to say Express Network...

Quit with passing on scare stories.... there are 100's of thousands of
people that use it EVERY DAY and have no problem.. Out of the two here, one
for sure has a technical problem... Low speed quick 2 net doesn't even
work...(but voice does)... absolute postive that it's a
software/hardware/installation error...

It's hysterical that a few little ole girly men start a rumour, and other
people continue it on, even though there is not one iota of intent or proof
for the fallacies..

(PS in case you are curious, many hundreds of thousands of RV'rs have been
using it nationwide for years, and not a single one of em worries)
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 3:34:08 AM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>It's hysterical that a few little ole girly men

No need for personal remarks.

>start a rumour, and other
>people continue it on, even though there is not one iota of intent or proof
>for the fallacies..
>
>(PS in case you are curious, many hundreds of thousands of RV'rs have been
>using it nationwide for years, and not a single one of em worries)

I'm sure one or two of them worry.

As another data point, I tried the 3G network earlier tonight myself,
and it still worked.

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbon
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:34:52 AM

Jack Hamilton wrote:
> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> It's hysterical that a few little ole girly men
>
> No need for personal remarks.
>
>> start a rumour, and other
>> people continue it on, even though there is not one iota of intent
>> or proof for the fallacies..
>>
>> (PS in case you are curious, many hundreds of thousands of RV'rs
>> have been using it nationwide for years, and not a single one of em
>> worries)
>
> I'm sure one or two of them worry.
>
> As another data point, I tried the 3G network earlier tonight myself,
> and it still worked.
>

> ==
> Jack Hamilton
> jfh@acm.org
>
> ==
> In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and
> security. And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and
> security. Edward Gibbon
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:43:12 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:22:26 GMT, Roughrider50 wrote:

> About a year ago (after some persistence) I switched my national single rate
> plan to "national access minutes of use ". I did this so I could access the
> express network when I couldn't access my WI-FI connection. The other day I
> was unable to connect to my express network and had to call tech support at
> verizon. I was informed that minutes of use national access was no longer
> available and that I had erroneously acquired it in the beginning, and that
> they were now removing me from that system. The rep them told me that I
> would have to sign the for one of their data plans

Sounds strange to me. I have a NSR plan with NA-MOU, but they recently
changed the name to "National Enhanced Service Access". Still works fine,
and no additional charge.

I'd cancel the data plan, then call 611 and tell them you want the NESA
added to be able to load GIN apps faster. Don't mention anything about
using a computer with your phone. They automatically go into the the "data
plan" mode when they hear "computer".
!