Sign in with
Your question

Completely Locked Out from Windows, Please Help!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 10, 2005 8:57:10 PM

I think I screwed up royally last night. I was setting up a cable connection for my friend and noticed when his PC reboots, I saw *Your password expires today, do you want to change it? I click no and head into the Passwords/Users section in the control panel (Win2000Pro) and tried to set it up so it wouldn't ever ask for a password.

Well, I think I locked out ALL of the users including the Administrator on his computer. His password will not work. It will not let me into windows now no matter what I do.

I tried using some linux boot cd that changes passwords, but since I'm locked out on ALL users, it didn't work.

I'm sure I get the Bonehead of the year award, somebody please help!

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>
July 11, 2005 2:07:11 AM

There are some util progs out there that will let you boot and reset the pw. Just look around.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
July 11, 2005 2:16:55 AM

Just found:

"These tools work by modifying the SAM file on your computer. Manually renaming the SAM files at C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM and C:\WINNT\REPAIR\SAM should also reset the local Administrator password to blank [and would also probably delete all other local accounts which you had created on your computer].

This can be done by booting from a DOS or Windows 9x boot floppy [though if your hard drive is formatted in NTFS format, you can't rename files this way unless you purchase NTFSDOS Pro from www.winternals.com ]."

And the best I would use:

"You can also rename the SAM files by moving the hard drive from the computer to another Windows 2000/XP/NT computer, or by installing a second copy of Windows 2000/XP/NT to a different folder on the computer. "

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
July 11, 2005 5:00:30 AM

i tried that linux utility for it, but i think i locked out even the admin user, is that even possible? the SAM utility told me that all my accounts were locked out. will a PW reset be able to fix that?

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>
July 11, 2005 1:11:57 PM

Using the recovery console in XP, you can reset the admin password that way. You'll have to look that up on the web though.

Start up Safe Mode, load into Windows, log in as Administrator with your expired password.. that might do the trick. Safe Mode doesn't show expired passwords. You can change it at that point.
July 12, 2005 12:36:10 AM

XP? Think it will work for 2000Pro? Im gonna try it anyway tonite and see what happens

July 12, 2005 12:48:10 PM

Should work.. techniques are the same.. recovery console should go.. if not, safe mode hopefully will. Or the other way around since that might be easier first.
July 12, 2005 2:18:08 PM

I installed another instance of windows 2000 on the same hard drive. From the second installation I was able to get to all the files from the first installation. His Disk is FAT32 still, so im just gonna back up all his files and format his drive NTFS and put his files back on there.

July 12, 2005 4:57:07 PM

There was something about renaming a .SAM file with the 2nd install of Windows XP, then rebooting and logging in..

I have a CD at home that cracks XP passwords. I'll have to make an ISO of it and get one of the guys with the List to add that ISO out there.. it's a free program anyhow.
!