Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU Bottleneck?

Last response: in Video Games
November 24, 2011 12:28:56 PM

So I have an oldish Core 2 Quad and a new GTX 560 Ti that's been OC'd. The particular Core 2 Quad I have is the Q8300 and my GTX 560 Ti has 944Mhz Core Clock, 1888Mhz Shader Clock, and 2200Mhz memory clock. I've been running at high but other people with GTX 560 Ti's claim that they can run at Ultra with no problems! Is my CPU the bottleneck or is the GTX 560 Ti just not that powerful?
Thanks. (I ask too many questions....)
Edit: oops I forgot to say the game I'm talking about is Skyrim :p 

More about : cpu bottleneck

Best solution

November 24, 2011 12:57:51 PM

iTryHard said:
So I have an oldish Core 2 Quad and a new GTX 560 Ti that's been OC'd. The particular Core 2 Quad I have is the Q8300 and my GTX 560 Ti has 944Mhz Core Clock, 1888Mhz Shader Clock, and 2200Mhz memory clock. I've been running at high but other people with GTX 560 Ti's claim that they can run at Ultra with no problems! Is my CPU the bottleneck or is the GTX 560 Ti just not that powerful?
Thanks. (I ask too many questions....)
Edit: oops I forgot to say the game I'm talking about is Skyrim :p 

It really depends on your tolerance for low frame rates. Some people want all the eye candy and are prepared to endure significant variations in frame rate, whilst other need frame rates to be more consistent.

I have a pair of 560 Tis in SLI and can tell you for certain that I would certainly not run Skyrim in ultra at 1080p if I had a single one. Those who do will get a choppy experience in the cities.

So with a single 560 Ti, I'd say go for high, not ultra, and be prepared to drop the AA down a notch.

There's one other thing. Skyrim is a more CPU limited game than most. This means with a relatively old C2Q, some of the choppiness will be due to your CPU. To test this, try dropping the resolution. If the framerate is still choppy, the CPU is bottlenecking your system. If not, it's your 560Ti. If your CPU is the problem, then the good news is that you can increase the eye-candy/resolution without penalty. The bad news is that there's little you can do about it except upgrade your CPU!
November 24, 2011 1:01:59 PM

I only have a 1600x900 monitor so that's what I'll running.
Okay I'll try what you suggested.
Related resources
November 24, 2011 1:07:03 PM

Aw man, I think it's the processor :(  I guess I'll have to invest in a new mobo and a processor and other things... Any suggestions? lol
November 24, 2011 6:09:21 PM

wait for ivy bridge to come out
November 24, 2011 6:30:18 PM

iTryHard said:
Aw man, I think it's the processor :(  I guess I'll have to invest in a new mobo and a processor and other things... Any suggestions? lol

Yep, suspected as much.

I'd strongly recommend an i5.

Cheap option is: H67 mobo, i5 2400

Or if you're into overclocking: P67/Z68 mobo, i5 2500k

If it were me and I wasn't interested in overclocking, I'd be very happy with the first of these options. My second system has an i5 2400 and it's incredibly quick.
November 30, 2011 11:15:25 PM

Best answer selected by iTryHard.
!