Can a Boot Log be Generated in XP to debug NO BOOT blank s..

In Windows 95/98 you could start Windows in such a way to generate a boot log
so you could track which activities were started. Can this be done in
Windows XP?

I am having a problem similar to the ones that are listed in the discussion
group with Blank Screen - NO BOOT. I get the Windows XP Splash Screen with
the green tracking light progress bar, but instead of the welcome screen, I
get a blank black screen with the mouse pointer.

I've tried booting in safe mode - result blank screen with "Safe Mode" in
the four corners. I can boot from a bootable floppy and the reinstallation
CD that came with the computer. I don't get the recovery consol when trying
to use the repair feature.

The owner of the PC that I'm helping recently uninstalled/reinstalled some
software and I'm thinking that there's something in the start up sequence
that doesn't exist any more.

--
Magic Mike
3 answers Last reply

    Hi

    Try this:

    Go into msconfig, click on the Boot.ini tab and then enable '/BOOTLOG'.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Magic Mike" <magicmike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In Windows 95/98 you could start Windows in such a way to generate a boot
    > log
    > so you could track which activities were started. Can this be done in
    > Windows XP?
    >
    > I am having a problem similar to the ones that are listed in the
    > discussion
    > group with Blank Screen - NO BOOT. I get the Windows XP Splash Screen
    > with
    > the green tracking light progress bar, but instead of the welcome screen,
    > get a blank black screen with the mouse pointer.
    >
    > I've tried booting in safe mode - result blank screen with "Safe Mode" in
    > the four corners. I can boot from a bootable floppy and the
    > reinstallation
    > CD that came with the computer. I don't get the recovery consol when
    > trying
    > to use the repair feature.
    >
    > The owner of the PC that I'm helping recently uninstalled/reinstalled some
    > software and I'm thinking that there's something in the start up sequence
    > that doesn't exist any more.
    >
    > --
    > Magic Mike

    Can this be done if the PC boots to a DOS Prompt? I'm not at the machine yet
    so I can't try it now.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Try this:
    >
    > Go into msconfig, click on the Boot.ini tab and then enable '/BOOTLOG'.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Magic Mike" <magicmike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In Windows 95/98 you could start Windows in such a way to generate a boot
    > > log
    > > so you could track which activities were started. Can this be done in
    > > Windows XP?
    > >
    > > I am having a problem similar to the ones that are listed in the
    > > discussion
    > > group with Blank Screen - NO BOOT. I get the Windows XP Splash Screen
    > > with
    > > the green tracking light progress bar, but instead of the welcome screen,
    > > get a blank black screen with the mouse pointer.
    > >
    > > I've tried booting in safe mode - result blank screen with "Safe Mode" in
    > > the four corners. I can boot from a bootable floppy and the
    > > reinstallation
    > > CD that came with the computer. I don't get the recovery consol when
    > > trying
    > > to use the repair feature.
    > >
    > > The owner of the PC that I'm helping recently uninstalled/reinstalled some
    > > software and I'm thinking that there's something in the start up sequence
    > > that doesn't exist any more.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Magic Mike

    Try reading your screen - like where you choose safe mode. Or ask help.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Magic Mike" <magicmike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D39E179B-4645-4599-8592-57B4F3C236BB@microsoft.com...
    > In Windows 95/98 you could start Windows in such a way to generate a boot log
    > so you could track which activities were started. Can this be done in
    > Windows XP?
    >
    > I am having a problem similar to the ones that are listed in the discussion
    > group with Blank Screen - NO BOOT. I get the Windows XP Splash Screen with
    > the green tracking light progress bar, but instead of the welcome screen, I
    > get a blank black screen with the mouse pointer.
    >
    > I've tried booting in safe mode - result blank screen with "Safe Mode" in
    > the four corners. I can boot from a bootable floppy and the reinstallation
    > CD that came with the computer. I don't get the recovery consol when trying
    > to use the repair feature.
    >
    > The owner of the PC that I'm helping recently uninstalled/reinstalled some
    > software and I'm thinking that there's something in the start up sequence
    > that doesn't exist any more.
    >
    > --
    > Magic Mike

Boot Windows XP