Can a Boot Log be Generated in XP to debug NO BOOT blank s..

January 7, 2005 8:47:03 AM

In Windows 95/98 you could start Windows in such a way to generate a boot log
so you could track which activities were started. Can this be done in
Windows XP?

I am having a problem similar to the ones that are listed in the discussion
group with Blank Screen - NO BOOT. I get the Windows XP Splash Screen with
the green tracking light progress bar, but instead of the welcome screen, I
get a blank black screen with the mouse pointer.

I've tried booting in safe mode - result blank screen with "Safe Mode" in
the four corners. I can boot from a bootable floppy and the reinstallation
CD that came with the computer. I don't get the recovery consol when trying
to use the repair feature.

The owner of the PC that I'm helping recently uninstalled/reinstalled some
software and I'm thinking that there's something in the start up sequence
that doesn't exist any more.

--
Magic Mike
Anonymous

Hi

Try this:

Go into msconfig, click on the Boot.ini tab and then enable '/BOOTLOG'.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Magic Mike" <magicmike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 39E179B-4645-4599-8592-57B4F3C236BB@microsoft.com...
> In Windows 95/98 you could start Windows in such a way to generate a boot
> log
> so you could track which activities were started. Can this be done in
> Windows XP?
>
> I am having a problem similar to the ones that are listed in the
> discussion
> group with Blank Screen - NO BOOT. I get the Windows XP Splash Screen
> with
> the green tracking light progress bar, but instead of the welcome screen,
> get a blank black screen with the mouse pointer.
>
> I've tried booting in safe mode - result blank screen with "Safe Mode" in
> the four corners. I can boot from a bootable floppy and the
> reinstallation
> CD that came with the computer. I don't get the recovery consol when
> trying
> to use the repair feature.
>
> The owner of the PC that I'm helping recently uninstalled/reinstalled some
> software and I'm thinking that there's something in the start up sequence
> that doesn't exist any more.
>
> --
> Magic Mike
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 4:54:02 PM

Can this be done if the PC boots to a DOS Prompt? I'm not at the machine yet
so I can't try it now.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Try this:
>
> Go into msconfig, click on the Boot.ini tab and then enable '/BOOTLOG'.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Magic Mike" <magicmike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 39E179B-4645-4599-8592-57B4F3C236BB@microsoft.com...
> > In Windows 95/98 you could start Windows in such a way to generate a boot
> > log
> > so you could track which activities were started. Can this be done in
> > Windows XP?
> >
> > I am having a problem similar to the ones that are listed in the
> > discussion
> > group with Blank Screen - NO BOOT. I get the Windows XP Splash Screen
> > with
> > the green tracking light progress bar, but instead of the welcome screen,
> > get a blank black screen with the mouse pointer.
> >
> > I've tried booting in safe mode - result blank screen with "Safe Mode" in
> > the four corners. I can boot from a bootable floppy and the
> > reinstallation
> > CD that came with the computer. I don't get the recovery consol when
> > trying
> > to use the repair feature.
> >
> > The owner of the PC that I'm helping recently uninstalled/reinstalled some
> > software and I'm thinking that there's something in the start up sequence
> > that doesn't exist any more.
> >
> > --
> > Magic Mike

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:55:57 AM

Try reading your screen - like where you choose safe mode. Or ask help.

http://www.uscricket.com

!