Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My neighbor go her new Dell today. $1000, got a P4 1600 (uh, that's 1600REAL MHz BTW), on an 845 motherboard! Damn I almost laughed. But the Video card, it was a...a...ATI RAGE 128! DID YOU HEAR ME? A RAGE 128! ON a NEW $1000 system!
Worst part is her husband wants to use it for GAMING! LMAO! I would have sold her a cheap CELERON system with an old TNT2 card that would have WASTED her new system for gaming-for only $500. But there's more!
She specifically did NOT want any advice for purchasing a new system. Why? Because her employer is a tech geek, and she's tired of hearing him go on about things.

She said the most important thing to her was that the computer, monitor, keyboard, and mouse all had the same brand name on them!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Pretty sad. People like that are the reason Intel will continue to dominate the market. They don't want to know anything, they just want to buy something with as little effort as possible. I guess you can't force knowledge down someone's throat if they're not interested.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Too bad the "MORON" brand on her forehead isn't the same "DELL" brand on her computer!

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I told her that it's about as fast as a PIII 1000, but that's still not too bad for what she does. I also told her she can get a video card upgrade if needed.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
same thing happened to my friend...
he bought a new dell, well his family did...
it was a p4, 1.7 ghz, and it has a 13 gig hd, a tnt (not tnt2...at least as far as i could tell) a cd burner, and 128 megs of ram.
the mouse is a 2 button logitech...with a ball.
the monitor is pretty nice. decent 17"
the case is the only thing i like...the way it opens..
heh...
but my 900 athlon raped his computer when it came to gaming...even sometimes when it came to just computing...i had it running right next to his so i could back some of his files up on mine..
.the only thing that his can do that mine cant right now, is burn cds...
eh...
that can easily be fixed....a poorly performing system cannot really be fixed that easily.
i really pity the people that get sucked in by the "dude, you're gettin a dell" ad campaign.
sure worked for dell, but sure raped the customers.
unless of course, all they care about is there being the same name on all the parts.
hey...but you could have made that celeron computer do that too, all you would have to do is write "CRASHMAN" on the side of the case, on the keyboard by the leds, on the mouse, where it says microsoft(if it is microsoft), and on the monitor...next to the power button.
simple solution, and would solve the problem.
heh...
then they can say, "DUDE, YOU'RE GETTIN' A CRASHMAN!"
or "DUDE, YOU'RE GETTIN AN HONEST JHON!"
or "DUDE, YOU"RE GETTING A __________!"
insert name
it would be a greater solution than wasting money on a dell.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, I'm thinking about starting a new company, called the Guillemot Computer Systems, or GCS. Now I know that Guillemot is a registered name, but GCS is NOT. I can put in the Game Theater and use Guillemot to refer to the sound system, and put Guillemot Computer Systems on the back! The name would help me sell computers, and I could go around copywrite infringements that way. What do you say?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
might work!
but..they might say that because you are putting their product in there, and have their "NAME" on the computer, they might get pissed.
but then again, they might not..
if you were to really do this, then i would say to talk to a lawyer first, before selling a computer.
hey, maybe i can be your southern california support...heh

-DAvid

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
OMG thats pathetic. Add my athlon xp 1700+ with mere Gforce MX, which I built for around $500 to the whoopin list over that 1k dell.

Some of my friends are caught up in that whole 'dell culture', you know "dude your getting a dell!" and when i tell one buddy about my computer (like when i got my athlon xp instead of my old athlon B 700 one of the aluminum ones blah oh well i killed it o/c'n and kinda was hopin it'd go hehe) he simply says, Yes, but its not a dell.

Now thats what I call admitted ignorance!
LMAO.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Some people simply does not like to take advice. My uncle too. He spend $1500 for a HP system in July 2001. He get an 1GHz Pentium III on a 810 chipset with 128 MB of RAM and a 15in monitor.

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
While back I saw the computer with the following specs being promoted as "lightning-fast gaming machine" and "best home computer ever" by local biggest comp. manufacturer: P4/1.7Ghz, 64Mb PC-600 RDRAM, TnT2 M64 video, 10Gb Quantum icl10 HDD (4500RPMS, 128Kb cache), 17" monitor capable of 1024x768@75Hz max. Compared to this, Dell actually looks pretty decent.. :)

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I wonder why Dell hasn't snapped <A HREF="http://www.riddleme.com/html/cow.html" target="_new"> this </A> up yet? (Major war with Gateway looms on horizon!!!)

Wabbit season! Duck season! AMD season! INTEL season!
Hmmmph--whatever...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
eh...ok
prolly work then.
and if you got a nice customer base, then you could make some bank off this.
as for that flash movie about the farmer with the cow...now that is a gateway comercial...hehe
instead of having the cow decorating the barn...they should show this.
roflmao.......
and i dont think that there is an excuse for people not knowing about computers.
it is really quite simple.
and most people probably know someone who could build them a really nice computer for half of what they pay for a dell or gateway.
"DUDE, YOU'RE GETTING RAPED BY DELL!"
new slogan for dell...

-DAvid

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
that isn't the point though. like crash said with his neighbor "as long as all the parts have the same name". see, for instance, my computer chair, is all mesh and rubberbands (really comfortable). now i got it at staples for $190, but a couple miles away they had the same EXACT chair (same company, etc) at some fancy "home depot expo" center, for $399!! and do you think home depot sells it? damn right they do, why? because people are ignorant, whether they know or not. they figure if they are paying "top-dollar" they are sure to get the best product on the market. people are crazy, society in general is fruity, that's why i spend alot of time on the computer (it's safe infront of this thing.) :D

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, but it sure is interesting to watch people be crazy, and fruity.
heh...
and i understand what you are saying about how people assume since they are paying that much, they are getting what they are paying for.
they do get pretty good support to back it up...but eventually, that support will run out, or they offer to extend it for like 30 bucks a month.
i would still urge people to either build their own, or have someone they know build it for them.
unless the people they know, or themselves are morons.
it isnt that hard to build a computer...
almost self explanitory for the most part.
and what isnt, is easily learned...
and as far as no time to do it?
the day i built the computer i am on now, i had to go to the ucla/berkely football game at the rose bowl...and had to be done with my computer, and my friends by about 5:00.
i almost finished both, but i got mine done, and most of my friends.
the only thing that he had to do wa install windows.
pretty simple...
i dunno...i might just be pissed, well, maybe not pissed, just confused, as to why people can see that people who build their own have nice computers, and their computer runs great...and then go cough up ridiculous ammounts of money for something that, sure it works...but try and upgrade that thing...either you will void the warranty, which is what most of the money is paying for, or you will get incompatibility problems.
it just doesnt make sense.

-DAvid

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
hehe, too true. my brother, last fall, after all the stuff i told him about what my computer had and how much you can build one for, went out and bought a dell. granted it actually isn't that bad of a system. but from day one, i've heard nothing but complaints from him. everything from "why are they putting all this aol/prodigy crap on my computer!", to "this is so damn slow".

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
oh man, that was wrong!
but i think that is what getting delled is....roflmao!
and yeah....i wonder what rcf84 would do to get it back....hmmmmm...
it could get UGLAY!

-DAvid

dhlucke

Polypheme
I don't know how many times I have to tell people to build their own system or buy from a local manufaturer rather than the big boys who rip you off. People are stupid though. I think Dell has gone down hill with the components they ship as part of their "deals". They're screwing everyone. I think Dell stopped shipping their systems with PC600 at least. That memory and the SDRAM videocards really ruined the whole system. They were outdated before even being shipped. It doesn't help to laugh at people though.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>