Odd Skyrim AA Lag

patricknlondon

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Ok so i have played skyrim for about 50 hours with no lag on my PC, but suddenly, out of the blue, it starts lagging terribly.

So i decide to do a bit of settings science and investigate what was making it lag.
After a lot of meddling i put the lowest settings possible on skyrim but put antialiasing on the highest and it lags very badly. And when i put skyrim on the highest settings with no AA it runs fine. So I put it down to AA.

What could be causing this to make it lag out of nowhere? To be honest it doesent make too much of a difference putting AA on the lowest however this is damaging my computer ego horrifically. But anyway, are there any solutions or answers?
It would be nice to have my nice ultra high settings back.

Rig is:

CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x4 955
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850
RAM: 4GB
Windows 7 64 bit

I can run crysis dx9 on highest graphics and have previously run skyrim with no lag so this is unusual.

Patrick

Thegeek

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I'm using the same card as you. I'm running it on high settings with X2 AA and only get a little bit of lag depending on where I am. Just stick with X2AA.

AA will require a lot of GPU power and will knock down your frame rates loads if you put it on high AA.

patricknlondon

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011

Ok thanks for the response and advice

patricknlondon

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
OH DEAR!

It appears TF2 has also began lagging terribly - even on lowest settings, and no this is not because of my connection. So evidently it may not be just skyrims fault, are there any graphics card problems or hardware that may cause this?

Thegeek

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Over heating of the graphics can cause lag, maybe you should check your temperatures while playing games, see how hot your GPU gets. Also, when I play games with steam online, I get lagg, so I set it to offline and the lagging stopped. I started doing that ever since I played on Fallout: NV.