HELP - Send/Receive E-mail Problem after Norton (NIS 2005)..

Two weeks ago I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. Everything worked
great, including my e-mail. After the Norton Live Update on Wednesday, I can
no longer download and send e-mail. I am on Windows XP and use Outlook 2002
for e-mail. The e-mail is on a POP3 server (access is needed to ports 465
and 995). Outlook was set in Norton Internet Security Programs Control with
'Automatic' Internet Access and 'Multiple' for Category. I have also tried
'Permit All." If I turn off the firewall, I am able to download and send
e-mail. The error I am getting is ""Sending and Receiving' reported error
(0x8004210A): 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the
receiving (POP) server"

Please help!
2 answers Last reply
More about help send receive mail problem norton 2005

    "Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
    > Two weeks ago I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. Everything worked
    > great, including my e-mail. After the Norton Live Update on Wednesday, I
    > can no longer download and send e-mail. I am on Windows XP and use Outlook
    > 2002 for e-mail. The e-mail is on a POP3 server (access is needed to ports
    > 465 and 995). Outlook was set in Norton Internet Security Programs Control
    > with 'Automatic' Internet Access and 'Multiple' for Category. I have also
    > tried 'Permit All." If I turn off the firewall, I am able to download and
    > send e-mail. The error I am getting is ""Sending and Receiving' reported
    > error (0x8004210A): 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from
    > the receiving (POP) server"
    >
    > Please help!

    Mark,
    I had a very similar problem and it happened in the last two weeks.
    I cleared it by uninstalling Norton Internet Security 2005 completely and
    then
    reinstalling it and then rerunning Live Update.
    Everything else I tried by enabling the ports etc failed.

    Dave W

    "Dave Waller" <David.Waller1@Blueyonder.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
    >> Two weeks ago I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. Everything
    >> worked great, including my e-mail. After the Norton Live Update on
    >> Wednesday, I can no longer download and send e-mail. I am on Windows XP
    >> and use Outlook 2002 for e-mail. The e-mail is on a POP3 server (access
    >> is needed to ports 465 and 995). Outlook was set in Norton Internet
    >> Security Programs Control with 'Automatic' Internet Access and 'Multiple'
    >> for Category. I have also tried 'Permit All." If I turn off the firewall,
    >> I am able to download and send e-mail. The error I am getting is
    >> ""Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A): 'The operation
    >> timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server"
    >>
    >> Please help!
    >>

    > Mark,
    > I had a very similar problem and it happened in the last two weeks.
    > I cleared it by uninstalling Norton Internet Security 2005 completely and
    > then
    > reinstalling it and then rerunning Live Update.
    > Everything else I tried by enabling the ports etc failed.
    >
    > Dave W

    You were correct. I tried everything to not have to uninstall and
    re-install, but to no avail. I then reluctantly did it, went through 33 MG
    of Live Updates and am now up and running. I did find one workaround of
    making the IP a trusted site, but did not really want the security hole. I
    heard a lot of good things about NIS 2005 and PC Magazine rated it very
    high. I have only had it two weeks and boom. In working the issue today,
    it also ended up hanging number of times when I was trying to make simple
    changes in the various options. It would be interesting if others are
    having similar challenges or if this was just a fluke.

    Thank you for your help and advice!

Norton Internet Security Email Windows XP