Wireless Router connecting to a hub question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 4, 2005 1:08:53 AM

This seems like an easy enough question hopefully there is an answer
out there. I have a Netgear MR814 and it is connected to the internet
and a couple of wireless laptops. Several classrooms away I have a
network of 8 computers with static IPs using 3 uplinked Zonet ZFS3008P
Switch/Hubs. Note that in that classroom I am able to receive the
wifi signal from the Netgear. Here is what I would like to do without
having to buy wireless network cards for all the computers or having
to wire the Zonet to the Netgear. How can I get the 8 computers hooked
up to the internet and obtain DHCP ip adresses from the wireless
netgear. What device must I purchase? Specifics would be
appreciated.

THS
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 3:38:51 PM

On 3 Jan 2005 22:08:53 -0800, t_splinter@hotmail.com (Thomas H
Splinter) wrote:

>This seems like an easy enough question hopefully there is an answer
>out there. I have a Netgear MR814 and it is connected to the internet
>and a couple of wireless laptops. Several classrooms away I have a
>network of 8 computers with static IPs using 3 uplinked Zonet ZFS3008P
>Switch/Hubs. Note that in that classroom I am able to receive the
>wifi signal from the Netgear. Here is what I would like to do without
>having to buy wireless network cards for all the computers or having
>to wire the Zonet to the Netgear. How can I get the 8 computers hooked
>up to the internet and obtain DHCP ip adresses from the wireless
>netgear. What device must I purchase? Specifics would be
>appreciated.
>

>THS
One easy way is to buy 2 wireless Access Points(APs). Hook 1 AP into
the router and then connect the other AP into a hub where all the
"remote" computers are located. Set the 2 APs to "bridge mode" and it
should work just fine. I did this sucessfully and it works well. I
have a 3 story house, including basement, and my router is on the top
floor, while most of the comptuers are in the basement. One AP plugged
into the router, one AP plugged into a hub in the basement, and they
are good to go. The experts say to pick an alternate channel for the
APs to be on than the router, if it is wireless. I have them all on
the same channel and they all work fine.
One VERY IMPORTANT though is to buy EXACTLY the same brand of AP as
your router. NOT ALL are compatable with each other. If you buy one
and it does not work, that is another trip to the store to trade for
another brand! Stick with, in your case, Netgear.
No buying just one AP will NOT work! You need to plug something into
the hub and then have it connect back to the router, this is what APs
in bridge mode are made for!
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 8:59:50 PM

f/f george <george@yourplace.com> wrote:

> The experts say to pick an alternate channel for the
> APs to be on than the router, if it is wireless.

For WDS, the APs *must* use the same channel. For roaming -- access
points connected to each other by wire -- channels should be spaced to
avoid radio interference.

> One VERY IMPORTANT though is to buy EXACTLY the same brand of AP as
> your router.

This applies to WDS but not to roaming, for which different brands of
APs may be used.

From the Reference Manual for the Netgear MR814, I find no indication
that it can do WDS. Few (if any) of the older 802.11b-only devices can.
The OP will have to get two newer wireless boxes (of the same brand) to
create a WDS bridge.
January 5, 2005 5:24:58 AM

"Thomas H Splinter" <t_splinter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This seems like an easy enough question hopefully there is an answer
> out there. I have a Netgear MR814 and it is connected to the internet
> and a couple of wireless laptops. Several classrooms away I have a
> network of 8 computers with static IPs using 3 uplinked Zonet ZFS3008P
> Switch/Hubs. Note that in that classroom I am able to receive the
> wifi signal from the Netgear. Here is what I would like to do without
> having to buy wireless network cards for all the computers or having
> to wire the Zonet to the Netgear. How can I get the 8 computers hooked
> up to the internet and obtain DHCP ip adresses from the wireless
> netgear. What device must I purchase? Specifics would be
> appreciated.
>

> THS

I have just plugged a DO-Link DWELL 700AP into the switch of the wired
network and set it to client mode (it works in three different modes, AP,
client or repeater). 700AP then picks up the wireless connection from
router and all PC's can access internet/share files etc. It comes with a
crossover cable as standard so you would have to plug it into an uplink port
else use a normal cable and plug it into any other port.
!