Thoughts on Norton Internet Security 2005?

I heard a lot of good things about Norton Internet Security 2005 and was
very impressed by the write-up and comparison to McAfee in PC Magazine.
Norton Antivirus worked well for me, but my BlackIce was starting to give me
problems, so I decided to give it a try. It has been installed less than 2
weeks and it blew me out of the water. After the update on Wednesday night,
Microsoft Outlook was no longer able to send/receive any e-mails. Turning
off the firewall corrected the problem. I tried everything to correct the
problem, but eventually had to uninstall and reinstall NIS 2005 to get
everything working again. In working the problem, NIS 2005 also ended up
hanging number of times when I was trying to make simple changes among the
various options.

I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this was
just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

pj

I've had problems with NIS 2005 too, I had to reinstall it 4 times before it
finally worked, but even now it occasionally blocks all Internet access and
prevents me logging onto MSN & sending emails!!

"Mark Williams" wrote:

> I heard a lot of good things about Norton Internet Security 2005 and was
> very impressed by the write-up and comparison to McAfee in PC Magazine.
> Norton Antivirus worked well for me, but my BlackIce was starting to give me
> problems, so I decided to give it a try. It has been installed less than 2
> weeks and it blew me out of the water. After the update on Wednesday night,
> Microsoft Outlook was no longer able to send/receive any e-mails. Turning
> off the firewall corrected the problem. I tried everything to correct the
> problem, but eventually had to uninstall and reinstall NIS 2005 to get
> everything working again. In working the problem, NIS 2005 also ended up
> hanging number of times when I was trying to make simple changes among the
> various options.
>
> I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this was
> just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

carlos

Distinguished
May 5, 2002

Mark,
I installed Norton Internet Security 2005 about a month
ago and the only problem I have had is forwarding one Hot
Mail to a friend. Are you aware that at installation you
need to disable the WindowsXP firewall? Perhaps your
problem is something you did not follow at installation.
Also, the product has to be activated within certain
number of days.

Symantec has a very good online support at
www.service.symantec.com/drm
Carlos
..

jw

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115939,pg,1,00.asp

Norton Internet Security was not rated highly in the article above.
Furthermore, neither Norton Internet Security nor McAfee Internet
Security were recommended or received an Editors' Choice. Details of
specific problems are included in the article.

I know how you feel though. I was lured into buy a PC Mag Editors'
Choice once. Found out later that SpySweeper only runs on one account
(the account it was installed on), and the memory-resident always-on
protection only runs on one account (the account it was installed on).
So my PC fills up with spyware, if i use an account other than Admin.

Mark Williams wrote:
> I heard a lot of good things about Norton Internet Security 2005 and was
> very impressed by the write-up and comparison to McAfee in PC Magazine.
> Norton Antivirus worked well for me, but my BlackIce was starting to give me
> problems, so I decided to give it a try. It has been installed less than 2
> weeks and it blew me out of the water. After the update on Wednesday night,
> Microsoft Outlook was no longer able to send/receive any e-mails. Turning
> off the firewall corrected the problem. I tried everything to correct the
> problem, but eventually had to uninstall and reinstall NIS 2005 to get
> everything working again. In working the problem, NIS 2005 also ended up
> hanging number of times when I was trying to make simple changes among the
> various options.
>
> I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this was
> just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

Unfortunately I was looking at PC Magazine's November 30, 2004, issue. It
was in First Looks Utilities section. They compared McAfee and Norton new
internet security software packages. NIS 2005 had and overall 4 and half
circles. MIS 2005.7.0 was only give an overall of 3 circles. They
indicated "For those making a fresh start, we'd recommend the Norton entry
instead." I was having trouble with BlackIce and already had Norton
Antivirus, so I jumped in.

"JW" <JustPostYourReply@ToThisNewsGroup.pls> wrote in message
> http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115939,pg,1,00.asp
>
> Norton Internet Security was not rated highly in the article above.
> Furthermore, neither Norton Internet Security nor McAfee Internet Security
> were recommended or received an Editors' Choice. Details of specific
> problems are included in the article.
>
> I know how you feel though. I was lured into buy a PC Mag Editors' Choice
> once. Found out later that SpySweeper only runs on one account (the
> account it was installed on), and the memory-resident always-on protection
> only runs on one account (the account it was installed on). So my PC fills
> up with spyware, if i use an account other than Admin.
>

> Mark Williams wrote:
>> I heard a lot of good things about Norton Internet Security 2005 and was
>> very impressed by the write-up and comparison to McAfee in PC Magazine.
>> Norton Antivirus worked well for me, but my BlackIce was starting to give
>> me problems, so I decided to give it a try. It has been installed less
>> than 2 weeks and it blew me out of the water. After the update on
>> Wednesday night, Microsoft Outlook was no longer able to send/receive any
>> e-mails. Turning off the firewall corrected the problem. I tried
>> everything to correct the problem, but eventually had to uninstall and
>> reinstall NIS 2005 to get everything working again. In working the
>> problem, NIS 2005 also ended up hanging number of times when I was trying
>> to make simple changes among the various options.
>>
>> I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this was
>> just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have tried 3 times to install but every time it hangs at a different point.
I have used symntec support site which is really good but am still trying to
install...extremely frustrated. If I sort it I will let you know

"Mark Williams" wrote:

> Unfortunately I was looking at PC Magazine's November 30, 2004, issue. It
> was in First Looks Utilities section. They compared McAfee and Norton new
> internet security software packages. NIS 2005 had and overall 4 and half
> circles. MIS 2005.7.0 was only give an overall of 3 circles. They
> indicated "For those making a fresh start, we'd recommend the Norton entry
> instead." I was having trouble with BlackIce and already had Norton
> Antivirus, so I jumped in.
>
> "JW" <JustPostYourReply@ToThisNewsGroup.pls> wrote in message
> > http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115939,pg,1,00.asp
> >
> > Norton Internet Security was not rated highly in the article above.
> > Furthermore, neither Norton Internet Security nor McAfee Internet Security
> > were recommended or received an Editors' Choice. Details of specific
> > problems are included in the article.
> >
> > I know how you feel though. I was lured into buy a PC Mag Editors' Choice
> > once. Found out later that SpySweeper only runs on one account (the
> > account it was installed on), and the memory-resident always-on protection
> > only runs on one account (the account it was installed on). So my PC fills
> > up with spyware, if i use an account other than Admin.
> >

> > Mark Williams wrote:
> >> I heard a lot of good things about Norton Internet Security 2005 and was
> >> very impressed by the write-up and comparison to McAfee in PC Magazine.
> >> Norton Antivirus worked well for me, but my BlackIce was starting to give
> >> me problems, so I decided to give it a try. It has been installed less
> >> than 2 weeks and it blew me out of the water. After the update on
> >> Wednesday night, Microsoft Outlook was no longer able to send/receive any
> >> e-mails. Turning off the firewall corrected the problem. I tried
> >> everything to correct the problem, but eventually had to uninstall and
> >> reinstall NIS 2005 to get everything working again. In working the
> >> problem, NIS 2005 also ended up hanging number of times when I was trying
> >> to make simple changes among the various options.
> >>
> >> I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this was
> >> just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

TRENDING THREADS