Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Choppy gameplay: nVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti

Last response: in Video Games
November 24, 2011 11:26:53 PM

Hello,
Does anyone have any ideas on why games like Skyrim, Rage and Oblivion are choppy and eventually unresponsive? They start out fine then after about 20 minutes it gets choppy and often freezes up. I have an nVidia GTX 550Ti video card and added a rear case fan to try and help the problem. I also installed a new hard drive (Seagate 500GB 7200 rps. Here is the dxdiag:
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Studio XPS 8000
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12280MB RAM
Page File: 1740MB used, 22815MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Any ideas would be much appreciated. The only components I haven't replaced are the motherboard and processor. (I checked the thermal paste and it was just fine too).
November 25, 2011 12:22:21 AM

If you have a spare GPU I would try it out and see if the problem persists. Also, if you haven't already done so I suggest you update your GPU drivers to the latest version.
Score
November 25, 2011 6:36:19 AM

Yup. Update drivers, if that doesn't work then try another GPU if you can. Given the time lapse before the problem appears, it might be that the GPUs cooling is faulty in some way. If the drivers don't fix it, RMA the card.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

November 25, 2011 11:09:41 PM

gretchenk said:
Hello,
Does anyone have any ideas on why games like Skyrim, Rage and Oblivion are choppy and eventually unresponsive? They start out fine then after about 20 minutes it gets choppy and often freezes up. I have an nVidia GTX 550Ti video card and added a rear case fan to try and help the problem. I also installed a new hard drive (Seagate 500GB 7200 rps. Here is the dxdiag:
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Studio XPS 8000
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12280MB RAM
Page File: 1740MB used, 22815MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Any ideas would be much appreciated. The only components I haven't replaced are the motherboard and processor. (I checked the thermal paste and it was just fine too).

Try the driver 285.7? beta not the 285.62 it has a bug in it. In the dells except the alien rigs you are going to have a lot of heat and the GTX 550 Ti will heat up fast. I have two of them in my rig now. I have to monitor the temps all the time. I use the MSI afterburner so I can adjust fan speed on the GPU. I also have 7 case fans to help cool. Also depending the the frame rate will set how hot it will get. I wish I had gotten the GTX 560 Ti's, but I was skiping corners. You should have a 400w power supply or better. Three things Heat, Power, and the drivers to check. Good luck
December 3, 2011 1:21:48 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I installed the MSI Afterburner program and the fan on the video card was at 0. If I take it off auto I can set the fan to run at whatever speed I want and it stays on. I'm thinking I should see if I can exchange the card since it's only a few months old.
Score
December 3, 2011 4:11:45 AM

on the propertys screen you can set when your fan when it gets to a ceriten Temp it will start to incress in speed. and yes you can take it off auto and put it at what ever speed you want. and do the exchange thing on the card.
Score
December 13, 2011 1:16:19 AM

Best answer selected by gretchenk.
Score
!