Defragging XP

Tags:
  • Defragment
  • Windows XP
January 8, 2005 1:01:02 PM

I recently had XP installed on two computers. Previously, with ME on the one
older computer, to defrag effiiciently I needed to disconnect from the
internet, disable my screen saver, and use CTRL/ALT/DLT to terminate any
programs running in the background besides Explorer and SysTray. I needed to
defrag once a week to keep ME running smoothly, or I'd start to run into
problems. Doing it this way (turning everything off), the defrag took an hour
or 90 minutes. Otherwise, it would go on forever.

How often is it recommended to defrag Windows XP? Do I still need to turn
off the screensaver, disconnect from the 'net, and terminate background
programs? I'm not sure how to terminate the background programs in XP. Can
someone tell me? Or does the Windows defragmenter tool in XP handle the
program termination for you?

Thanks,
Syd13

More about : defragging

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 2:50:09 PM

Best practices

Before Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?u...

Disk Defragmenter

Running the Disk Defragmenter Snap-in

Tips for Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools

Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:8AFF4FE0-0D2F-43D7-9026-464D4073F2A3@microsoft.com,
Syd13 <Syd13@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I recently had XP installed on two computers. Previously, with ME on
> the one older computer, to defrag effiiciently I needed to disconnect
> from the internet, disable my screen saver, and use CTRL/ALT/DLT to
> terminate any programs running in the background besides Explorer and
> SysTray. I needed to defrag once a week to keep ME running smoothly,
> or I'd start to run into problems. Doing it this way (turning
> everything off), the defrag took an hour or 90 minutes. Otherwise, it
> would go on forever.
>
> How often is it recommended to defrag Windows XP? Do I still need to
> turn off the screensaver, disconnect from the 'net, and terminate
> background programs? I'm not sure how to terminate the background
> programs in XP. Can someone tell me? Or does the Windows defragmenter
> tool in XP handle the program termination for you?
>
> Thanks,
> Syd13
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:22:34 PM

You should defrag your hard drive at least once
a month. It would be best if you simply booted
into Safe Mode, then perform a defrag.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Syd13" wrote:

| I recently had XP installed on two computers. Previously, with ME on the one
| older computer, to defrag effiiciently I needed to disconnect from the
| internet, disable my screen saver, and use CTRL/ALT/DLT to terminate any
| programs running in the background besides Explorer and SysTray. I needed to
| defrag once a week to keep ME running smoothly, or I'd start to run into
| problems. Doing it this way (turning everything off), the defrag took an hour
| or 90 minutes. Otherwise, it would go on forever.
|
| How often is it recommended to defrag Windows XP? Do I still need to turn
| off the screensaver, disconnect from the 'net, and terminate background
| programs? I'm not sure how to terminate the background programs in XP. Can
| someone tell me? Or does the Windows defragmenter tool in XP handle the
| program termination for you?
|
| Thanks,
| Syd13
January 8, 2005 3:26:02 PM

Syd13 wrote:
> I recently had XP installed on two computers. Previously, with ME on
> the one older computer, to defrag effiiciently I needed to disconnect
> from the internet, disable my screen saver, and use CTRL/ALT/DLT to
> terminate any programs running in the background besides Explorer and
> SysTray. I needed to defrag once a week to keep ME running smoothly,
> or I'd start to run into problems. Doing it this way (turning
> everything off), the defrag took an hour or 90 minutes. Otherwise, it
> would go on forever.
>
> How often is it recommended to defrag Windows XP? Do I still need to
> turn off the screensaver, disconnect from the 'net, and terminate
> background programs? I'm not sure how to terminate the background
> programs in XP. Can someone tell me? Or does the Windows defragmenter
> tool in XP handle the program termination for you?

Depends how you use the machine.. I defragment once every 3-6 months, if
that much.
You must have had a large amount of data on a large drive.. I have a very
full 600GB and it takes just about as long as you say your Windows ME took.

All of that should NOT have been necessary before, so no - you don't HAVE to
do it now.. Unless those applications are accessing and changing large
amounts of data on the disk, you should make it through a disk
defragmentation without issue.

--
<- Shenan ->
January 8, 2005 3:45:02 PM

Thanks everyone who replied. I'll look up those websites, Wesley

Carey, how does one boot into Safe Mode?

Shenan, the hard drive on the old ME machine was only 40
whatever-they're-called. :)  The new machine is 160. But the kids used the old
machine extensively (exclusively now, they're not on the new one at all), and
if I didn't run Ad-Aware and defrag once a week, I was reformatting the hard
drive every 5 months. With the defragging once a week, the comp. went 18
months without reformatting until we installed XP recently.

Thanks,
Syd13

!