Should you use a surge protector w/ DSL and Cable?

I am checking on high-speed and looking into my options and trying to
understand how to set it up. One question is that I currently have a Belkin
Surgemaster Protector that includes cable and DSL protection. Is it a
good idea to use it? Does it impact performance in any way? Should it be
placed between the wall jack and the splitter?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I don't know if a surge protector will impact performance on DSL or cable,
but if you get a surge and aren't protected *that* could effect performance.

[[Under the lightning, the caption reads: "It's not if ... it's when."]]
How to Use a Surge Protector
http://www.aarp.org/learntech/computers/howto/Articles/a2003-03-13-surgeprotectors.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:OC2Ed.8246$c13.337@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Mark Williams <MWilliams@att.net> hunted and pecked:

"Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
>I am checking on high-speed and looking into my options and trying to
> understand how to set it up. One question is that I currently have a
> Belkin
> Surgemaster Protector that includes cable and DSL protection. Is it a
> good idea to use it? Does it impact performance in any way? Should it
> be
> placed between the wall jack and the splitter?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!

Try running speed tests from somewhere like http://www.dslreports.com/stest
with the surge protector in circuit, then without it. Make sure you run
several tests for each line state from the same provider - and see if your
average upload and download speeds are affected.

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)