Spontaneous reboots driving me crazy!

G

I just bought a new Athlon XP system running on an Epox 8KHA+ mobo, and I've been having problems with my computer suddenly wanting to go to sleep. I'll be in the middle of doing something very important, when all of a sudden, my computer reboots. The error message that I'm getting during the bootup sequence is that the Primary channel has no 80 conductor cable installed. What does this mean and how can I fix it? Also, Is it ok if my Athlon cpu runs at 115 degrees farenheit. Is that normal? Thanks for all the advice in advance.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
More details, please, such as what's in your new computer, what operating system, etc.

Make sure the jumpers for your hard drive are set correctly. If it's the only one, make sure it's set as a Master.

Also, unplug and reseat the IDE cable on both ends - the hard drive and the motherboard. Are you using the end connector of the IDE cable, and the motherboard is connected to the blue connector?

In the BIOS, make sure the Primary Master is in Auto Detect.

What's the degrees in °C? I can't convert... :lol: Plus, how are you monitoring your CPU temp? The motherboard sensor isn't too accurate for any motherboard, for that matter.

Problem solved. Please check out <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin/" target="_new">My Website</A>.

dhlucke

Polypheme
just for the record, www.weather.com can convert temps if you ever need to :)

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i think 115 = 45 in c...i am just guessing...
but that sounds like an ok operating temp...
the 80 wire conductor refers to the ide cable, if you go to the store, there should be three different types of cables.
scsi, which you dont need.
ata-33, with fat wires.
and ata-66/100, with small wires, about double that of the ata-33.
if you bought your drive as a retail box, it should come with an 80 wire cable.
even the mobo should have come with one.
this random reboot problem sounds like it might be related to the psu.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

JasonSw2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
http://www.metroglass.co.nz/page86.html

Look on the bottom right of this table for C to F and F to C conversion.

Keeping things under 55C / 131F under full maximum abusive load seems to be a realistic limit.

45C / 113F would be a realistic "perfect" temp under full maximum abusive load.

Note: maximum abusive load would be running several highly CPU intensive operations like Prime95 and SETI@Home and Sandra all at the same time for 30 minutes or so. Just running Quake3 for 10 minutes is not enough of a stress test.

CPU temp nirvana would be the same at room temperature. But to get there will cost ya...

-JasonSw2

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
running all three things at once might cause problems on any system........
or at least it will take FOREVER for them to complete.
prime95 by itself is usually used to test the stablility, or get the high temps of a cpu.
you dont need to run them all at once!
plus, to really test how hot the cpu is going to get, you would have to wait until the hottest day of the year, and then run prime95 or seti or something.
that will raelly let you know what your highest temps are going to be.

-DAvid

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
That temperature is just fine. Your problem is probably your power supply? What's it rated and what's its brand name?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

svol

Champion
Also check your settings for power saving in the BIOS menu.
And what are the voltage readings in the BIOS PC Health menu?

Do not make illegal copies of this post :wink:

G

In-Win S506 300watt psu
Vcore 1.8 V
Vagp 3.3 V
+5 Volts 5.05 V
+12 Volts 12 V
Vdimm 2.68 V
5 VSB 5.53 V

Win2k
Maxtor HD
2 cd-rom drives
floppy disk drive
AMD 1700+
Epox EP-8KHA+

Is it possible that it could just be my ide cable. I'm not using the one that came with the mobo. Please Diagnose!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
it could be the ide cable.
i have had problems that i couldnt understand, and it ended up being the ide cable...
try a different one...and try just hooking up the hard drive, and then one by one hook up the cd-roms.

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
it could be the ide cable.
i have had problems that i couldnt understand, and it ended up being the ide cable...
try a different one...and try just hooking up the hard drive, and then one by one hook up the cd-roms.just to trouble shoot it.

-DAvid

svol

Champion
You've no strange voltages, so I think it isn't the powersupply.
You can buy an 80 conductor cable at your local hardware shop. It's a IDE cable with much thinner wires then the standard ones and specially made for ATA66/100.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .