Using backup in a computer with no floppy drive

January 9, 2005 7:59:01 AM

Does anyone know how you can use the Microsoft backup utility that comes with
Windows XP professional to perform a full system backup if the computer has
no floppy drive. My new DELL 8400 has no floppy dirve. I sucessfully
performed the backup to an external hard drive, but recieved the error noting
that there was no 1.44 drive to create the Automated System Recovery set. I
was hoping to be able to put that information on a CD or a USB drive, but I
see no option for doing that. I'm assuming I cannot perform a restore without
the Automated System Recovery set. Any comments or suggestions?
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:26:35 PM

"jesal321" <jesal321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know how you can use the Microsoft backup utility that comes with
>Windows XP professional to perform a full system backup if the computer has
>no floppy drive. My new DELL 8400 has no floppy dirve. I sucessfully
>performed the backup to an external hard drive, but recieved the error noting
>that there was no 1.44 drive to create the Automated System Recovery set. I
>was hoping to be able to put that information on a CD or a USB drive, but I
>see no option for doing that. I'm assuming I cannot perform a restore without
>the Automated System Recovery set. Any comments or suggestions?

The ASR wizard needs a floppy drive. Use third-party backup solutions
if this is not available.

--
(tm)
May 18, 2005 1:46:00 PM

I'm trying to create ASR discs using a floppy for the boot disc and a CD
burner for 'everything else'. XPPRO-SP2 refuses to allow me to designate a
cd burner with a blank disc in it. Does it have to be a CD-RW?

The documentation on this is DISMALLY LACKING, considering everyone has a cd
burner and its the OBVIOUS choice versus 18 floppies!

A little help from a 'guru' would be appreciate.

"jesal321" wrote:

> Does anyone know how you can use the Microsoft backup utility that comes with
> Windows XP professional to perform a full system backup if the computer has
> no floppy drive. My new DELL 8400 has no floppy dirve. I sucessfully
> performed the backup to an external hard drive, but recieved the error noting
> that there was no 1.44 drive to create the Automated System Recovery set. I
> was hoping to be able to put that information on a CD or a USB drive, but I
> see no option for doing that. I'm assuming I cannot perform a restore without
> the Automated System Recovery set. Any comments or suggestions?
May 20, 2005 2:44:27 AM

The Backup utility does not recognize CD/DVD drives as backup devices.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255#appliesto

Please do not send email directly to this alias as it is used for newsgroup
participation only.
"bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to create ASR discs using a floppy for the boot disc and a CD
> burner for 'everything else'. XPPRO-SP2 refuses to allow me to designate
> cd burner with a blank disc in it. Does it have to be a CD-RW?
>
> The documentation on this is DISMALLY LACKING, considering everyone has a
> cd
> burner and its the OBVIOUS choice versus 18 floppies!
>
> A little help from a 'guru' would be appreciate.
>
> "jesal321" wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how you can use the Microsoft backup utility that comes
>> with
>> Windows XP professional to perform a full system backup if the computer
>> has
>> no floppy drive. My new DELL 8400 has no floppy dirve. I sucessfully
>> performed the backup to an external hard drive, but recieved the error
>> noting
>> that there was no 1.44 drive to create the Automated System Recovery set.
>> was hoping to be able to put that information on a CD or a USB drive, but
>> see no option for doing that. I'm assuming I cannot perform a restore
>> without
>> the Automated System Recovery set. Any comments or suggestions?
May 2, 2011 5:55:54 PM

My own choice would be to instal a fresh copy of Windows and then run
restore using that. I've found many first-hand claims online that this
works.

Alternatively, you can try using freeware software called "virtual floppy",
or try burning an image of the ASR floppy to CD (fooling windows into thinking
you've got floppy).
!