Advice on setting up a GA-7VTXH and XP1800+?

Thorin

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
I've put together and upgraded machines in the past, but never had to install a brand new motherboard and set it up from scratch before.
I've recently bought a gigabyte GA-7VTXH motherboard, and an AMD XP 1800+, along with 512MB Crucial DDR RAM (in two 256MB sticks). I've a good cooler, an AMD approved power supply, and followed the correct instructions for applying Arctic Silver II when installing the cooler and the chip. I had difficulty working out the right settings for the multiplier and the System Bus, after booting the machine, discovering it was running at just over 1Ghz, I attempted to adjust the System Bus speed in the BIOS (which I realise now was the wrong thing to change - the benefits of hind sight and all), when I rebooted, my system wouldn't POST, and nothing I could change would get it to POST. I have now had all the components replaced, and I'm ready to try again. The manual doesn't tell me how to set the multiplier and system bus correctly for my chip (or at least it doesn't explain it plainly enough for me to understand it). I know where the jumpers are on the motherboard etc, and how to change the multiplier and system bus, but I'm just not sure what I need to change them *to* to get the chip to run at 1.53Ghz as it should do. Oh, while everything was up and running, the processor was running at 36 degrees C, which I believe is a reasonable temp for it to run at, so I don't think it over heated.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Thorin

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Thorin on 11/30/01 01:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
the clear cmos jumper should work, no you don't want to set your fsb higher than 133 (unless you're overclocking). for the xp1800 set it to either auto or 11.5, you take the multiplier and times it by the fsb, 11.5*133=1.529. i have an xp1700 and the ga-7vtx-p. i left the multiplier on auto and set the fsb on the dip switch. the board had no troubles recognizing anything.