I lost 5 Gb!!! after running chkdsk

January 9, 2005 4:03:02 PM

I wanted to "merge" two partitions of my hard disk using "PartitionMagic",
but en error appeared and suggested me to use CHKDSK to fix it. I did it and
chkdsk worked for about 15min "repearing" the partition.
But awful surprise!!! When my PC started to work again, 5 GB of my personal
information where gone!!!!
I'm desperate... I've tried to use many undelete softwares, but none of
them worked. What did chkdsk do to my files?!?!?

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

More about : lost running chkdsk

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:04:54 PM

MCarabelli wrote:
> I wanted to "merge" two partitions of my hard disk using "PartitionMagic",
> but en error appeared and suggested me to use CHKDSK to fix it. I did it and
> chkdsk worked for about 15min "repearing" the partition.
> But awful surprise!!! When my PC started to work again, 5 GB of my personal
> information where gone!!!!
> I'm desperate... I've tried to use many undelete softwares, but none of
> them worked. What did chkdsk do to my files?!?!?
>
> HELP ME PLEASE!!!

There's no telling what might have happened, because you didn't provide
enough information (what kind of files, e.g.) but if you were trying to
merge two partitions without first backing up important data...
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:02:15 PM

Hi, MCarabelli.

An alternative to the big-bucks data recovery services that Jerry mentioned,
you might try something like R-Studio, from www.r-tt.com. It worked for me
to recover about 10 GB of data from a Chkdsk scramble of a 25 GB volume a
year or two ago. I see by their website that things have changed a little
since I bought it. Now you can buy a version for NTFS or for FAT for $50
each, or the version that works on both for $80.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX