I lost 5 Gb!!! after running chkdsk

I wanted to "merge" two partitions of my hard disk using "PartitionMagic",
but en error appeared and suggested me to use CHKDSK to fix it. I did it and
chkdsk worked for about 15min "repearing" the partition.
But awful surprise!!! When my PC started to work again, 5 GB of my personal
information where gone!!!!
I'm desperate... I've tried to use many undelete softwares, but none of
them worked. What did chkdsk do to my files?!?!?

HELP ME PLEASE!!!
2 answers Last reply
More about lost running chkdsk

    MCarabelli wrote:
    > I wanted to "merge" two partitions of my hard disk using "PartitionMagic",
    > but en error appeared and suggested me to use CHKDSK to fix it. I did it and
    > chkdsk worked for about 15min "repearing" the partition.
    > But awful surprise!!! When my PC started to work again, 5 GB of my personal
    > information where gone!!!!
    > I'm desperate... I've tried to use many undelete softwares, but none of
    > them worked. What did chkdsk do to my files?!?!?
    >
    > HELP ME PLEASE!!!

    There's no telling what might have happened, because you didn't provide
    enough information (what kind of files, e.g.) but if you were trying to
    merge two partitions without first backing up important data...

    Hi, MCarabelli.

    An alternative to the big-bucks data recovery services that Jerry mentioned,
    you might try something like R-Studio, from www.r-tt.com. It worked for me
    to recover about 10 GB of data from a Chkdsk scramble of a 25 GB volume a
    year or two ago. I see by their website that things have changed a little
    since I bought it. Now you can buy a version for NTFS or for FAT for $50
    each, or the version that works on both for $80.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "MCarabelli" <MCarabelli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I wanted to "merge" two partitions of my hard disk using "PartitionMagic",
    > but en error appeared and suggested me to use CHKDSK to fix it. I did it
    > and
    > chkdsk worked for about 15min "repearing" the partition.
    > But awful surprise!!! When my PC started to work again, 5 GB of my
    > personal
    > information where gone!!!!
    > I'm desperate... I've tried to use many undelete softwares, but none of
    > them worked. What did chkdsk do to my files?!?!?
    >
    > HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Chkdsk Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP