Skyrim FPS drops after a few days absence

neze

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Not sure whether this is well documented, or even very common (I only found one thread that was vaguely similar), but basically, Skyrim ran pretty much flawlessly on medium on my system (I like having 60 FPS at all times) from the day it was released, and all of a sudden after not playing for a few days, my FPS has dropped by quite a considerable amount, not to mention the constant stuttering when moving/turning my camera. Sprinting shows VERY noticeable frame skips as well. I'm not sure whether there was a patch or something that may have changed some sort of integral setting, but literally not a single piece of software has changed on my system since Skyrim's release. I tried updating my ATI drivers, but it hasn't done anything. Temps are totally normal, and they're exactly the same as they were before. Not a single setting has been changed since the patch, and lowering my settings doesn't seem to do anything. Basically I could run through Riften without a single drop of FPS EVER, and now it's sitting at around 35-40.

System specs:

i7 2600 3.40ghz
HD6970
P8P67PRO
8gb DDR3 (can't remember the speed)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Thanks.

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Steam did an update to the executable for Skyrim. Ever since then, the stuttering and frame skips have been noticed on majority of systems high , mid and low end systems.

neze

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Ah, alright. The FPS has dropped even when stationary, as well. I could stand anywhere in any of the cities and get 60 FPS, now it's almost always under 40. Can only hope for a fix, I guess..