  • Backup
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
January 9, 2005 6:21:03 PM

I have a 250 gig harddrive and it was acting slow. So we made a backup of our
important information and put the backup on the other half of the partitioned
harddrive, not knowing when you restore that it does the WHOLE harddrive.
Therefore we lost ALOT of information, and we where wondering if theres
software that can go back and find the files on the computer. We were told
that they had a $ kind of symbol in front of it. We were wondering if anyone
could give us information on how to get those files
--
Thanks

More about : find backup file restore

January 9, 2005 9:34:44 PM

Check the ads in "PC Magazine" or "Computer Shopper" for companies that
recover lost harddrive data. It will cost you BIG BUCKS.

"JuseFliesLow" <JuseFliesLow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 250 gig harddrive and it was acting slow. So we made a backup of
>our
> important information and put the backup on the other half of the
> partitioned
> harddrive, not knowing when you restore that it does the WHOLE harddrive.
> Therefore we lost ALOT of information, and we where wondering if theres
> software that can go back and find the files on the computer. We were told
> that they had a $ kind of symbol in front of it. We were wondering if
> anyone
> could give us information on how to get those files
> --
> Thanks
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:40:33 PM

"JuseFliesLow" <JuseFliesLow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a 250 gig harddrive and it was acting slow. So we made a backup of
our
> important information and put the backup on the other half of the
partitioned harddrive,

-- If I read correct, you have 2 Partitions of 125G each, and backed-up your
system partition( all your programs and data) to a blank partition? What
kind of backup software did you use and what backup procedure did you use
( Mirror, image, full backup, incremental etc...)

> not knowing when you restore that it does the WHOLE harddrive.

- did you check your backup? or was "file verification" enabled in the
backup software?

> Therefore we lost ALOT of information,
--So, some is still available? ( How much?) Does your system starts w/h
problem? Are programs missing or is only data?

> and we where wondering if theres
> software that can go back and find the files on the computer. We were told
> that they had a $ kind of symbol in front of it. We were wondering if
anyone
> could give us information on how to get those files

-- How much activity was there already on the computer after restore? What
actions were performed after the backup on the first partition? ( format &
reinstall?)
- Is there still anything on the second partitions? Is it readable?

&re
!