mouse pointer erratic

When i get logged in on my winxp hm ed my mouse pointer will go crazy and fly
all-over the screen when i am using it...this is very random and very erratic
and a pain to deal with...pls note when i am not moving the mouse pointer it
is still and does not take off and fly arnd the screen...is this a virus or
bad driver or what???

Pls note when i scan for virus none are detected...also this is not a
wireless mouse if that matters.

Thanks for helping me out.

csmith@duo-county.com
3 answers Last reply
More about mouse pointer erratic

    Is it an optical mouse? Optical mice are sensitive to mouse pads, try using
    your mouse on another surface

    "csmith@duo-county.com" <csmith@duo-county.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:92A3D201-808C-4C88-BDEB-81103F3E1FCF@microsoft.com...
    > When i get logged in on my winxp hm ed my mouse pointer will go crazy and
    fly
    > all-over the screen when i am using it...this is very random and very
    erratic
    > and a pain to deal with...pls note when i am not moving the mouse pointer
    it
    > is still and does not take off and fly arnd the screen...is this a virus
    or
    > bad driver or what???
    >
    > Pls note when i scan for virus none are detected...also this is not a
    > wireless mouse if that matters.
    >
    > Thanks for helping me out.
    >
    > csmith@duo-county.com

    Hi, csmith.

    What happens if you unplug your microphone?

    No, I'm not joking. Several users have found that erratic mouse movements
    were caused by their voice-recognition software trying to make sense of
    random sounds coming in through the sound card, and feed those signals to
    the mouse driver.

    If that's not it, then fall back on the old faithful: make sure you have
    the latest and best driver for your mouse. If you tell us the make and
    model, there's a good chance that someone here will recognize it and know
    which driver you should be using. (Of course, it could be a small defect in
    the cable, too.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "csmith@duo-county.com" <csmith@duo-county.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:92A3D201-808C-4C88-BDEB-81103F3E1FCF@microsoft.com...
    > When i get logged in on my winxp hm ed my mouse pointer will go crazy and
    > fly
    > all-over the screen when i am using it...this is very random and very
    > erratic
    > and a pain to deal with...pls note when i am not moving the mouse pointer
    > it
    > is still and does not take off and fly arnd the screen...is this a virus
    > or
    > bad driver or what???
    >
    > Pls note when i scan for virus none are detected...also this is not a
    > wireless mouse if that matters.
    >
    > Thanks for helping me out.
    >
    > csmith@duo-county.com

    Hi there,

    Disconnect and reconnect the mouse firmly back to the computer and see if
    the problem persists. You may also boot Windows XP in safe mode and check if
    the mouse continues to act crazy. Below site has information about booting
    to the safe mode, visit:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/safemode.htm

    Finally, in case you have a spare mouse then, try the same in the computer
    to help narrow down this issue to the original mouse.

    HTH
    Venkatesh

    "csmith@duo-county.com" <csmith@duo-county.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:92A3D201-808C-4C88-BDEB-81103F3E1FCF@microsoft.com...
    > When i get logged in on my winxp hm ed my mouse pointer will go crazy and
    fly
    > all-over the screen when i am using it...this is very random and very
    erratic
    > and a pain to deal with...pls note when i am not moving the mouse pointer
    it
    > is still and does not take off and fly arnd the screen...is this a virus
    or
    > bad driver or what???
    >
    > Pls note when i scan for virus none are detected...also this is not a
    > wireless mouse if that matters.
    >
    > Thanks for helping me out.
    >
    > csmith@duo-county.com

Mice Pointer Windows XP