mouse pointer erratic

January 9, 2005 8:33:01 PM

When i get logged in on my winxp hm ed my mouse pointer will go crazy and fly
all-over the screen when i am using it...this is very random and very erratic
and a pain to deal with...pls note when i am not moving the mouse pointer it
is still and does not take off and fly arnd the screen...is this a virus or
bad driver or what???

Pls note when i scan for virus none are detected...also this is not a
wireless mouse if that matters.

Thanks for helping me out.

csmith@duo-county.com

More about : mouse pointer erratic

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:46:10 PM

Is it an optical mouse? Optical mice are sensitive to mouse pads, try using
your mouse on another surface

"csmith@duo-county.com" <csmith@duo-county.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:92A3D201-808C-4C88-BDEB-81103F3E1FCF@microsoft.com...
> When i get logged in on my winxp hm ed my mouse pointer will go crazy and
fly
> all-over the screen when i am using it...this is very random and very
erratic
> and a pain to deal with...pls note when i am not moving the mouse pointer
it
> is still and does not take off and fly arnd the screen...is this a virus
or
> bad driver or what???
>
> Pls note when i scan for virus none are detected...also this is not a
> wireless mouse if that matters.
>
> Thanks for helping me out.
>
> csmith@duo-county.com
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:53:28 PM

Hi, csmith.

What happens if you unplug your microphone?

No, I'm not joking. Several users have found that erratic mouse movements
were caused by their voice-recognition software trying to make sense of
random sounds coming in through the sound card, and feed those signals to
the mouse driver.

If that's not it, then fall back on the old faithful: make sure you have
the latest and best driver for your mouse. If you tell us the make and
model, there's a good chance that someone here will recognize it and know
which driver you should be using. (Of course, it could be a small defect in
the cable, too.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"csmith@duo-county.com" <csmith@duo-county.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:92A3D201-808C-4C88-BDEB-81103F3E1FCF@microsoft.com...
> When i get logged in on my winxp hm ed my mouse pointer will go crazy and
> fly
> all-over the screen when i am using it...this is very random and very
> erratic
> and a pain to deal with...pls note when i am not moving the mouse pointer
> it
> is still and does not take off and fly arnd the screen...is this a virus
> or
> bad driver or what???
>
> Pls note when i scan for virus none are detected...also this is not a
> wireless mouse if that matters.
>
> Thanks for helping me out.
>
> csmith@duo-county.com
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:44:10 PM

Hi there,

Disconnect and reconnect the mouse firmly back to the computer and see if
the problem persists. You may also boot Windows XP in safe mode and check if
the mouse continues to act crazy. Below site has information about booting
to the safe mode, visit:
http://www.winxptutor.com/safemode.htm

Finally, in case you have a spare mouse then, try the same in the computer
to help narrow down this issue to the original mouse.

HTH
Venkatesh

!