Asus P2B and new cpu possibilities

G

hi. i haven't been on here or kept up with things too much since my board was new, so forgive me for my ignorance. however, i've got a question and i know that you guys are the best people to ask.

i have the asus p2b motherboard and an inwin a600 (i think its a600, looks like the q600 on their www site -- case mentioned incase specs on size/spacing make a diff?). it's a full tower if you're unsure of it. anyway, i've been running a p2 350 for quite some time and i figure now is the time to upgrade to something faster. i want to keep using this motherboard, and i know that it can push faster speeds than it could when i bought it. the asus site lists the cpu's it accepts at:

"Single Slot 1 for Intel Pentium® II 233MHz ~ 450MHz and Pentium® III 450MHz~600+MHz processors with 512KB integrated L2 Cache"

my main thing is, i don't know when that site was last updated -- possibly when the p3 600 was brand new.. so that could affect what is listed. what i'd like to do, is buy the fastest possible cpu (im -not- looking for a celeron, and i -wont- be overclocking) that i can make it support. so what im asking is several things. how fast of a cpu can i get? i'm also unsure if i could use a p4? im assuming not, but i wanted to ask to be sure. and..does that 600+ (the + is my main question) mean i can use ANY p3 [even the fastest they make -- and what is the fastest p3?]?

also...since this motherboard is a slot1 motherboard, i'm pretty sure ill need a slocket/slotket (i've seen it spelled both ways). i know almost nothing of them (which is why i gave case specs) except that they're converters and what they look like. i'm curious about any info on them...what brands are good and what kind of specs i should be interested in?

anyway, please give me any experiences and advice you can on my motherboard and a good cpu + slocket combination.

thanks in advance

G

search the CPU and overclocking forum for my nick taikin
or asus p2b. the post with my nick is the answer to all ur questions because i had been bugging crashman for almost a month hahaha

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The fastest CPU you can use is the PIII 1000EB, using the 133MHz FSB and the 1/4 PCI divider. You may find a Slot 1 version if you look hard enought, or you can use a Slotket.

I don't recommend the slower 1000E with the 100MHz FSB, the memory performance compared to the CPU speed is awfull.

For more information on this subject than anyone wants to know, look at taikin's post.

You will need PC133 memory to use the 1000EB.

You said you wouldn't be overclocking, but you may want to reconsider, as the 700E will go to 933 quite easiliy and is still available in the U.S. The 933EB is a good choice but at least 1/3 more expensive than the 700E.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Chrispix272

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2001
I own a asus p2b. first off before u do anything, flash the bios! a p3 won't work unless u do. As far as supported processor speeds, it should run anything with a fsb of 100 mhz. 133 is sketchy, even though the board will go to 133 via jump config, i have never gotten any of my p3's with 133 fsb to run stable. I might just have a crappy board, but i put a 800 w/fsb 100 mhz and it runs just fine. I have also not had much luck with slocket cards, they work but arent that stable... again i may just have a crappy board. if u do choose a slocket card, go for a name brand one like the ASUS one. Also just to be sure check with your owners manual to see the highest clock ratio jumper setting is, because if it doesnt give u one for something like 10x , u wont be able to run a 1ghz cpu (@100fsb anyways) . if this doesnt make any sense to just post another question or something. i know it would be nice to get the ram speed improvements if u were running 133 but for me, stability of system being my highest concern, i just opted for the 100fsb, besides that board gets shitty ram speed anyway compared to todays ddr setups. if anyone out there with an ASUS p2b is reading this and thinks i am wacked out, let me know cause i may just have a shity board. but it is 3.5 years old now so...

good luck