xp registry alternate copy problem

Very often, when first booting up, I get a message that there was a problem
with some of the registry data and an alternate copy was used. What is the
cause of this problem and how can I eleminate it?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
--
techy613

Hi techy613,

It seems that that error is caused by the KB818133 hotfix or the KB840987
security update (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-032). Have a look at this
MSKB article, "You receive a One of the files in the registry database had
to be recovered message when you connect a Windows XP-based client computer
to a Windows NT 4.0 domain":
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=843426

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"techy613" <techy613@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Very often, when first booting up, I get a message that there was a
problem
> with some of the registry data and an alternate copy was used. What is the
> cause of this problem and how can I eleminate it?
> Thanks in advance for your advice.
> --
> techy613

We need more specific information to assist you. Open Event Viewer (Control
Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer) and look for the details about
the error. Post the details here.

You may also want to consider starting your computer from the 'last known
good' configuration:

"How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration
feature in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852
--
Ted Zieglar