pagefile.sys?

I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However, it
says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive. I
have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the virtual
memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on F:
and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C: pagefile.sys
via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported as
being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.
22 answers Last reply
More about pagefile

    You can’t delete PF from F: as long as it exists on C:
    Just remove PF completely (No paging file) from all drives.
    Restart computer.
    Defragment the drive few times with restarts in-between.
    And then set PF back.

    Related (assuming Windows XP):
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308417

    Good Luck!
    ---
    How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
    for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com

    Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
    (Links to online virus scans on the same page)

    I have cleared my computer of all pagefiles, and then defragged, and then
    reset the pagefile to where I want it. I will try it again later when I get
    a chance, but that sounds exactly like what I did to move it in the first
    place. Thanks for the suggestion.

    "r" wrote:

    > You can’t delete PF from F: as long as it exists on C:
    > Just remove PF completely (No paging file) from all drives.
    > Restart computer.
    > Defragment the drive few times with restarts in-between.
    > And then set PF back.
    >
    > Related (assuming Windows XP):
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308417
    >

    > Good Luck!
    > ---
    > How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
    > for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
    > http://www.fixyourwindows.com
    >
    > Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
    > http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
    > (Links to online virus scans on the same page)

    I should also add that following defragmentation, the pagefile.sys is always
    the only file that could not be defragmented.

    "Shaun" wrote:

    > I should also add that following defragmentation, the pagefile.sys is always
    > the only file that could not be defragmented.

    With Hibernation enabled you may have another file (hiberfil.sys) that you
    can't defragment. ;)

    I do have the hiberfil.sys on C:\. Is there any way I can move this one to
    another drive as well without screwing things up? Under the power
    properties, all I can see is a checkbox to enable hibernation, but no path
    for the file.

    "r" wrote:

    > "Shaun" wrote:
    >
    > > I should also add that following defragmentation, the pagefile.sys is always
    > > the only file that could not be defragmented.
    >

    > With Hibernation enabled you may have another file (hiberfil.sys) that you
    > can't defragment. ;)

    Download Sysinternal's PageDefrag
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

    or consider purchasing a very thorough Disk Defragmenter
    such as PerfectDisk:
    http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
    >I do have the hiberfil.sys on C:\. Is there any way I can move this one to
    > another drive as well without screwing things up? Under the power
    > properties, all I can see is a checkbox to enable hibernation, but no path
    > for the file.

    I have not found a way to change hiberfil.sys.

    BTW, if this is a desktop, I can't think of a good reason to use Hibernate
    anyhow.

    Well, let's answer the easier question first: There is no point to
    defragmenting your page file, so the page file is excluded from
    defragmentation. The paging file is a temporary storage space that your
    computer uses when and as needed.

    There is a specific method to moving the page file. If you don't follow the
    correct method, Windows will ignore what you are trying to do and maintain a
    page file on the system drive. It's all explained in this article from
    Microsoft's knowledge base:

    "How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482.

    Keep in mind that while there is a theoretical advantage to having the
    paging file on another physical disk, you are unlikely to notice any
    performance improvement unless the disk with the paging file is much faster
    than the disk with the system partition and the disk with the paging file is
    normally accessed much less frequently.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However,
    it
    > says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive.
    > have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the
    virtual
    > memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on
    F:
    > and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C:
    pagefile.sys
    > via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
    > defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
    > indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
    > matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported
    as
    > being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thanks for the quick response. I have my partition on a separate drive to
    conserve space on my C drive. I have followed all the directions that are
    listed on the MS page. I am confused because going through a command prompt,
    there is no listing of a pagefile on that drive, but there is on the drive
    that I moved it to.

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Well, let's answer the easier question first: There is no point to
    > defragmenting your page file, so the page file is excluded from
    > defragmentation. The paging file is a temporary storage space that your
    > computer uses when and as needed.
    >
    > There is a specific method to moving the page file. If you don't follow the
    > correct method, Windows will ignore what you are trying to do and maintain a
    > page file on the system drive. It's all explained in this article from
    > Microsoft's knowledge base:
    >
    > "How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482.
    >
    > Keep in mind that while there is a theoretical advantage to having the
    > paging file on another physical disk, you are unlikely to notice any
    > performance improvement unless the disk with the paging file is much faster
    > than the disk with the system partition and the disk with the paging file is
    > normally accessed much less frequently.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However,
    > it
    > > says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive.
    > > have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the
    > virtual
    > > memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on
    > F:
    > > and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C:
    > pagefile.sys
    > > via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
    > > defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
    > > indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
    > > matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported
    > as
    > > being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Just uncheck the box, and file will disappear.
    If you use Hibernation, check the box after you are done playing with
    Defrag, and Windows will recreate the file.

    I don’t think it’s required, but keep restarting after changing
    enable/disable .

    "Shaun" wrote:

    > I do have the hiberfil.sys on C:\. Is there any way I can move this one to
    > another drive as well without screwing things up? Under the power
    > properties, all I can see is a checkbox to enable hibernation, but no path
    > for the file.
    >
    > "r" wrote:
    >
    > > "Shaun" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I should also add that following defragmentation, the pagefile.sys is always
    > > > the only file that could not be defragmented.
    > >

    > > With Hibernation enabled you may have another file (hiberfil.sys) that you
    > > can't defragment. ;)
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However, it
    >says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive. I
    >have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the virtual
    >memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on F:
    >and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C: pagefile.sys
    >via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
    >defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
    >indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
    >matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported as
    >being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

    Pagefile fragmentation is an issue that ranks right up there with
    Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy - lots of hype and very
    little substance.

    The page file is not read as an entire file - only sections of it are
    read from or written to. And there is no way to guarantee that the
    specific sections used for any given read or write operation will be
    contiguous even if the page file itself is entirely unfragmented.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    what does

    dir /a c:\*.*

    show?

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15C278B9-D037-4A5C-A42B-8453D058FCDE@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for the quick response. I have my partition on a separate drive to
    > conserve space on my C drive. I have followed all the directions that are
    > listed on the MS page. I am confused because going through a command prompt,
    > there is no listing of a pagefile on that drive, but there is on the drive
    > that I moved it to.
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    >> Well, let's answer the easier question first: There is no point to
    >> defragmenting your page file, so the page file is excluded from
    >> defragmentation. The paging file is a temporary storage space that your
    >> computer uses when and as needed.
    >>
    >> There is a specific method to moving the page file. If you don't follow the
    >> correct method, Windows will ignore what you are trying to do and maintain a
    >> page file on the system drive. It's all explained in this article from
    >> Microsoft's knowledge base:
    >>
    >> "How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP"
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482.
    >>
    >> Keep in mind that while there is a theoretical advantage to having the
    >> paging file on another physical disk, you are unlikely to notice any
    >> performance improvement unless the disk with the paging file is much faster
    >> than the disk with the system partition and the disk with the paging file is
    >> normally accessed much less frequently.
    >> --
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>

    >> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However,
    >> it
    >> > says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive.
    >> > have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the
    >> virtual
    >> > memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on
    >> F:
    >> > and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C:
    >> pagefile.sys
    >> > via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
    >> > defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
    >> > indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
    >> > matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported
    >> as
    >> > being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thanks for the suggestion David. Actually, when using the /a switch, it does
    list the pagefile.sys on c:\... but the date associated with it is
    02/11/2004, and it is 804409344 bytes. Right now, I have removed the
    pagefiles on all drives in windows in the virtual memory allocation window,
    but this still shows up. Any thoughts on this one? I'd love to free up
    750M... Thanks.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > what does
    >
    > dir /a c:\*.*
    >
    > show?

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15C278B9-D037-4A5C-A42B-8453D058FCDE@microsoft.com...
    > > Thanks for the quick response. I have my partition on a separate drive to
    > > conserve space on my C drive. I have followed all the directions that are
    > > listed on the MS page. I am confused because going through a command prompt,
    > > there is no listing of a pagefile on that drive, but there is on the drive
    > > that I moved it to.
    > >
    > > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Well, let's answer the easier question first: There is no point to
    > >> defragmenting your page file, so the page file is excluded from
    > >> defragmentation. The paging file is a temporary storage space that your
    > >> computer uses when and as needed.
    > >>
    > >> There is a specific method to moving the page file. If you don't follow the
    > >> correct method, Windows will ignore what you are trying to do and maintain a
    > >> page file on the system drive. It's all explained in this article from
    > >> Microsoft's knowledge base:
    > >>
    > >> "How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP"
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482.
    > >>
    > >> Keep in mind that while there is a theoretical advantage to having the
    > >> paging file on another physical disk, you are unlikely to notice any
    > >> performance improvement unless the disk with the paging file is much faster
    > >> than the disk with the system partition and the disk with the paging file is
    > >> normally accessed much less frequently.
    > >> --
    > >> Ted Zieglar
    > >>

    > >> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> it
    > >> virtual
    > >> F:
    > >> pagefile.sys
    > >> as

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    If it ain't being used

    attrib -r -s -h c:\pagefile.sys
    del c:\pagefile.sys

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9D24961-F4A2-4DC8-AA82-AD157F2D21FC@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for the suggestion David. Actually, when using the /a switch, it does
    > list the pagefile.sys on c:\... but the date associated with it is
    > 02/11/2004, and it is 804409344 bytes. Right now, I have removed the
    > pagefiles on all drives in windows in the virtual memory allocation window,
    > but this still shows up. Any thoughts on this one? I'd love to free up
    > 750M... Thanks.
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> what does
    >>
    >> dir /a c:\*.*
    >>
    >> show?
    >>

    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15C278B9-D037-4A5C-A42B-8453D058FCDE@microsoft.com...
    >> > Thanks for the quick response. I have my partition on a separate drive to
    >> > conserve space on my C drive. I have followed all the directions that are
    >> > listed on the MS page. I am confused because going through a command prompt,
    >> > there is no listing of a pagefile on that drive, but there is on the drive
    >> > that I moved it to.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I use it occionally. I might have 30 IE windows open researching and it will take 1 week to read the material. I hibernate if I have to turn off the computer.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message news:eFDWiy19EHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
    >>I do have the hiberfil.sys on C:\. Is there any way I can move this one to
    >> another drive as well without screwing things up? Under the power
    >> properties, all I can see is a checkbox to enable hibernation, but no path
    >> for the file.
    >
    > I have not found a way to change hiberfil.sys.
    >
    > BTW, if this is a desktop, I can't think of a good reason to use Hibernate
    > anyhow.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "David Candy" <.> wrote...
    I use it occionally. I might have 30 IE windows open researching and it will
    take 1 week to read the material. I hibernate if I have to turn off the
    computer.

    For a desktop, I would use Standby instead of Hibernate. You should have a
    faster restart time, and the miniscule power used will not break your
    electricity budget. Also, you will be able to recover the space used by
    hiberfil.sys.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    David

    It is recommended that a small pagefile say 50 mb is kept on the system
    drive / partition where the main pagefile is located elsewhere.

    ~~~~~~

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    If it ain't being used

    attrib -r -s -h c:\pagefile.sys
    del c:\pagefile.sys

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the suggestion David. Actually, when using the /a switch,
    > it does
    > list the pagefile.sys on c:\... but the date associated with it is
    > 02/11/2004, and it is 804409344 bytes. Right now, I have removed the
    > pagefiles on all drives in windows in the virtual memory allocation
    > window,
    > but this still shows up. Any thoughts on this one? I'd love to free
    > up
    > 750M... Thanks.
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> what does
    >>
    >> dir /a c:\*.*
    >>
    >> show?
    >>

    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for the quick response. I have my partition on a separate
    >> > drive to
    >> > conserve space on my C drive. I have followed all the directions
    >> > that are
    >> > listed on the MS page. I am confused because going through a
    >> > command prompt,
    >> > there is no listing of a pagefile on that drive, but there is on
    >> > the drive
    >> > that I moved it to.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Gerry:

    Unless one commonly experiences BSODs, in which case there is a larger
    problem, I think 50MB seems a bit excessive for a stub page file. A minidump
    occupies something like 2MB of diskspace. If one wishes for a larger data
    dump on errors I believe the next level occupies 64MB.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > David
    >
    > It is recommended that a small pagefile say 50 mb is kept on the system
    > drive / partition where the main pagefile is located elsewhere.
    >

    > ~~~~~~
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > If it ain't being used
    >
    > attrib -r -s -h c:\pagefile.sys
    > del c:\pagefile.sys

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the suggestion David. Actually, when using the /a switch, it
    >> does
    >> list the pagefile.sys on c:\... but the date associated with it is
    >> 02/11/2004, and it is 804409344 bytes. Right now, I have removed the
    >> pagefiles on all drives in windows in the virtual memory allocation
    >> window,
    >> but this still shows up. Any thoughts on this one? I'd love to free up
    >> 750M... Thanks.
    >>
    >> "David Candy" wrote:
    >>
    >>> what does
    >>>
    >>> dir /a c:\*.*
    >>>
    >>> show?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> http://www.uscricket.com
    >>> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    It's usually when storms come.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23E8xUa39EHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote...
    > I use it occionally. I might have 30 IE windows open researching and it will
    > take 1 week to read the material. I hibernate if I have to turn off the
    > computer.
    >
    > For a desktop, I would use Standby instead of Hibernate. You should have a
    > faster restart time, and the miniscule power used will not break your
    > electricity budget. Also, you will be able to recover the space used by
    > hiberfil.sys.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Ted

    The amount I quoted is based on an Article by Alex Nichol. What he
    actually says is interesting bearing in the OP's problems.

    "If you do put the file elsewhere, you should leave a small amount on
    C: — an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum of 50 is suitable — so it can
    be used in emergency. Without this, the system is inclined to ignore the
    settings and either have no page file at all (and complain) or make a
    very large one indeed on C."

    ~~~~~~

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Gerry:
    >
    > Unless one commonly experiences BSODs, in which case there is a larger
    > problem, I think 50MB seems a bit excessive for a stub page file. A
    > minidump occupies something like 2MB of diskspace. If one wishes for a
    > larger data dump on errors I believe the next level occupies 64MB.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> David
    >>
    >> It is recommended that a small pagefile say 50 mb is kept on the
    >> system drive / partition where the main pagefile is located
    >> elsewhere.
    >>

    >> ~~~~~~
    >>
    >> Regards.
    >>
    >> Gerry
    >>
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> FCA
    >>
    >> Stourport, Worcs, England
    >> Enquire, plan and execute.
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> If it ain't being used
    >>
    >> attrib -r -s -h c:\pagefile.sys
    >> del c:\pagefile.sys
    >>

    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for the suggestion David. Actually, when using the /a
    >>> switch, it does
    >>> list the pagefile.sys on c:\... but the date associated with it is
    >>> 02/11/2004, and it is 804409344 bytes. Right now, I have removed
    >>> the
    >>> pagefiles on all drives in windows in the virtual memory allocation
    >>> window,
    >>> but this still shows up. Any thoughts on this one? I'd love to
    >>> free up
    >>> 750M... Thanks.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Many thanks Gerry. I read that article previously and appreciate the way
    Alex has explained a difficult concept.

    The stub page file (my term) on my boot volume is set at a minimum of 2MB
    and a maximum of 10MB. The latter may be excessive. I am setup this way
    because I have elected the 'small memory dump' option, which records the
    smallest amount of information to help identify a problem. This option
    requires a paging file of at least 2MB on the boot volume and specifies that
    Windows will create a new file each time the system stops unexpectedly. A
    history of these files is stored in %SystemRoot%\Minidump. The small memory
    dump file is sufficient for the Windows Error Reporting feature.

    Not to boast, but I haven't encountered a BSOD on my computers since Windows
    95, so I feel reasonably confident in this configuration. And if I were to
    experience a STOP I would be more likely to troubleshoot it myself or
    restore a known good image, if need be, rather than submit a dump for
    analysis.

    Still, I'd be glad to learn where the 50MB number comes from.
    --

    > Ted
    >
    > The amount I quoted is based on an Article by Alex Nichol. What he
    > actually says is interesting bearing in the OP's problems.
    >
    > "If you do put the file elsewhere, you should leave a small amount on
    > C: - an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum of 50 is suitable - so it can
    > be used in emergency. Without this, the system is inclined to ignore the
    > settings and either have no page file at all (and complain) or make a
    > very large one indeed on C."
    >

    > ~~~~~~
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > > Gerry:
    > >
    > > Unless one commonly experiences BSODs, in which case there is a larger
    > > problem, I think 50MB seems a bit excessive for a stub page file. A
    > > minidump occupies something like 2MB of diskspace. If one wishes for a
    > > larger data dump on errors I believe the next level occupies 64MB.
    > >
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >
    > > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > >> David
    > >>
    > >> It is recommended that a small pagefile say 50 mb is kept on the
    > >> system drive / partition where the main pagefile is located
    > >> elsewhere.
    > >>

    > >> ~~~~~~
    > >>
    > >> Regards.
    > >>
    > >> Gerry
    > >>
    > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >> FCA
    > >>
    > >> Stourport, Worcs, England
    > >> Enquire, plan and execute.
    > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > >>

    > >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > >> If it ain't being used
    > >>
    > >> attrib -r -s -h c:\pagefile.sys
    > >> del c:\pagefile.sys
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> http://www.uscricket.com
    > >> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    1-Go to Control Panel, Select System , Select Advanced, Select Peformance
    Settings
    Select Advanced, Select Change Virtual Memonry
    2-You will see a list of all Hard Drives of your computer, for each hard
    drive, select no paging file, select Set
    3-Reboost your computer, now from Windows Explorer, Select TOOLS, FOLDER
    OPTIONS, VIEWS, Check Show Hidden File and Folders, uncheck hide
    protect...Click OK
    4-Go to each drive and delete the pagefile.sys
    5-Reboost
    6-If you would like to set the pagefile.sys for any driver, you can repeat
    step # and at the step #2, select Custom size and set to whatever you like or
    set System manage. You can use this setup for any hard drive in your computer
    7-Repeat the step #3 to hide your protected files.

    JD

Defragment Pagefile Windows XP