pagefile.sys?

January 10, 2005 2:13:02 PM

I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However, it
says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive. I
have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the virtual
memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on F:
and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C: pagefile.sys
via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported as
being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

More about : pagefile sys

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:35:04 PM

You can’t delete PF from F: as long as it exists on C:
Just remove PF completely (No paging file) from all drives.
Restart computer.
Defragment the drive few times with restarts in-between.
And then set PF back.

Related (assuming Windows XP):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308417

Good Luck!
---
How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com

Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)
January 10, 2005 2:51:01 PM

I have cleared my computer of all pagefiles, and then defragged, and then
reset the pagefile to where I want it. I will try it again later when I get
a chance, but that sounds exactly like what I did to move it in the first
place. Thanks for the suggestion.

"r" wrote:

> You can’t delete PF from F: as long as it exists on C:
> Just remove PF completely (No paging file) from all drives.
> Restart computer.
> Defragment the drive few times with restarts in-between.
> And then set PF back.
>
> Related (assuming Windows XP):
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308417
>

> Good Luck!
> ---
> How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
> for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com
>
> Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
> http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
> (Links to online virus scans on the same page)
Related resources
January 10, 2005 2:59:02 PM

I should also add that following defragmentation, the pagefile.sys is always
the only file that could not be defragmented.

"Shaun" wrote:

> I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However, it
> says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive. I
> have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the virtual
> memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on F:
> and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C: pagefile.sys
> via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
> defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
> indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
> matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported as
> being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:15:02 PM

"Shaun" wrote:

> I should also add that following defragmentation, the pagefile.sys is always
> the only file that could not be defragmented.

With Hibernation enabled you may have another file (hiberfil.sys) that you
can't defragment. ;)
January 10, 2005 4:21:04 PM

I do have the hiberfil.sys on C:\. Is there any way I can move this one to
another drive as well without screwing things up? Under the power
properties, all I can see is a checkbox to enable hibernation, but no path
for the file.

"r" wrote:

> "Shaun" wrote:
>
> > I should also add that following defragmentation, the pagefile.sys is always
> > the only file that could not be defragmented.
>

> With Hibernation enabled you may have another file (hiberfil.sys) that you
> can't defragment. ;)
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:34:08 PM

Download Sysinternal's PageDefrag
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.s...

or consider purchasing a very thorough Disk Defragmenter
such as PerfectDisk:
http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Shaun" wrote:

| I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However, it
| says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive. I
| have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the virtual
| memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on F:
| and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C: pagefile.sys
| via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
| defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
| indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
| matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported as
| being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:34:42 PM

"Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>I do have the hiberfil.sys on C:\. Is there any way I can move this one to
> another drive as well without screwing things up? Under the power
> properties, all I can see is a checkbox to enable hibernation, but no path
> for the file.

I have not found a way to change hiberfil.sys.

BTW, if this is a desktop, I can't think of a good reason to use Hibernate
anyhow.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:32:48 PM

Well, let's answer the easier question first: There is no point to
defragmenting your page file, so the page file is excluded from
defragmentation. The paging file is a temporary storage space that your
computer uses when and as needed.

There is a specific method to moving the page file. If you don't follow the
correct method, Windows will ignore what you are trying to do and maintain a
page file on the system drive. It's all explained in this article from
Microsoft's knowledge base:

"How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482.

Keep in mind that while there is a theoretical advantage to having the
paging file on another physical disk, you are unlikely to notice any
performance improvement unless the disk with the paging file is much faster
than the disk with the system partition and the disk with the paging file is
normally accessed much less frequently.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However,
it
> says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive.
> have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the
virtual
> memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on
F:
> and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C:
pagefile.sys
> via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
> defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
> indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
> matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported
as
> being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

January 10, 2005 5:32:49 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I have my partition on a separate drive to
conserve space on my C drive. I have followed all the directions that are
listed on the MS page. I am confused because going through a command prompt,
there is no listing of a pagefile on that drive, but there is on the drive
that I moved it to.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Well, let's answer the easier question first: There is no point to
> defragmenting your page file, so the page file is excluded from
> defragmentation. The paging file is a temporary storage space that your
> computer uses when and as needed.
>
> There is a specific method to moving the page file. If you don't follow the
> correct method, Windows will ignore what you are trying to do and maintain a
> page file on the system drive. It's all explained in this article from
> Microsoft's knowledge base:
>
> "How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482.
>
> Keep in mind that while there is a theoretical advantage to having the
> paging file on another physical disk, you are unlikely to notice any
> performance improvement unless the disk with the paging file is much faster
> than the disk with the system partition and the disk with the paging file is
> normally accessed much less frequently.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However,
> it
> > says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive.
> > have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the
> virtual
> > memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on
> F:
> > and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C:
> pagefile.sys
> > via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
> > defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
> > indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
> > matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported
> as
> > being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:33:03 PM

Just uncheck the box, and file will disappear.
If you use Hibernation, check the box after you are done playing with
Defrag, and Windows will recreate the file.

I don’t think it’s required, but keep restarting after changing
enable/disable .

"Shaun" wrote:

> I do have the hiberfil.sys on C:\. Is there any way I can move this one to
> another drive as well without screwing things up? Under the power
> properties, all I can see is a checkbox to enable hibernation, but no path
> for the file.
>
> "r" wrote:
>
> > "Shaun" wrote:
> >
> > > I should also add that following defragmentation, the pagefile.sys is always
> > > the only file that could not be defragmented.
> >

> > With Hibernation enabled you may have another file (hiberfil.sys) that you
> > can't defragment. ;)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 12:58:25 AM

"Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However, it
>says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive. I
>have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the virtual
>memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on F:
>and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C: pagefile.sys
>via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
>defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
>indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
>matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported as
>being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Pagefile fragmentation is an issue that ranks right up there with
Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy - lots of hype and very
little substance.

The page file is not read as an entire file - only sections of it are
read from or written to. And there is no way to guarantee that the
specific sections used for any given read or write operation will be
contiguous even if the page file itself is entirely unfragmented.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

January 11, 2005 10:27:58 AM

what does

dir /a c:\*.*

show?

http://www.uscricket.com
"Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15C278B9-D037-4A5C-A42B-8453D058FCDE@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the quick response. I have my partition on a separate drive to
> conserve space on my C drive. I have followed all the directions that are
> listed on the MS page. I am confused because going through a command prompt,
> there is no listing of a pagefile on that drive, but there is on the drive
> that I moved it to.
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
>> Well, let's answer the easier question first: There is no point to
>> defragmenting your page file, so the page file is excluded from
>> defragmentation. The paging file is a temporary storage space that your
>> computer uses when and as needed.
>>
>> There is a specific method to moving the page file. If you don't follow the
>> correct method, Windows will ignore what you are trying to do and maintain a
>> page file on the system drive. It's all explained in this article from
>> Microsoft's knowledge base:
>>
>> "How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482.
>>
>> Keep in mind that while there is a theoretical advantage to having the
>> paging file on another physical disk, you are unlikely to notice any
>> performance improvement unless the disk with the paging file is much faster
>> than the disk with the system partition and the disk with the paging file is
>> normally accessed much less frequently.
>> --
>> Ted Zieglar
>>

>> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I wish to defrag my c: drive, as the MS defragmenter recommends. However,
>> it
>> > says that I have a 767 MB pagefile.sys that has 245 fragments on C: drive.
>> > have previously moved my pagefile to my F: drive. When I check the
>> virtual
>> > memory allocation window, it does tell me that my pagefile is located on
>> F:
>> > and there is not one on C: drive. When I try to delete the C:
>> pagefile.sys
>> > via a command prompt, it tells me there is no such file. Why is the
>> > defragmenter finding this file that is not there, or why are all the other
>> > indications pointing to it not being there if it is? On top of that, no
>> > matter now many times i defrag it, that particular file is always reported
>> as
>> > being heavily fragmented. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

January 11, 2005 10:27:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestion David. Actually, when using the /a switch, it does
list the pagefile.sys on c:\... but the date associated with it is
02/11/2004, and it is 804409344 bytes. Right now, I have removed the
pagefiles on all drives in windows in the virtual memory allocation window,
but this still shows up. Any thoughts on this one? I'd love to free up
750M... Thanks.

"David Candy" wrote:

> what does
>
> dir /a c:\*.*
>
> show?

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15C278B9-D037-4A5C-A42B-8453D058FCDE@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the quick response. I have my partition on a separate drive to
> > conserve space on my C drive. I have followed all the directions that are
> > listed on the MS page. I am confused because going through a command prompt,
> > there is no listing of a pagefile on that drive, but there is on the drive
> > that I moved it to.
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, let's answer the easier question first: There is no point to
> >> defragmenting your page file, so the page file is excluded from
> >> defragmentation. The paging file is a temporary storage space that your
> >> computer uses when and as needed.
> >>
> >> There is a specific method to moving the page file. If you don't follow the
> >> correct method, Windows will ignore what you are trying to do and maintain a
> >> page file on the system drive. It's all explained in this article from
> >> Microsoft's knowledge base:
> >>
> >> "How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP"
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314482.
> >>
> >> Keep in mind that while there is a theoretical advantage to having the
> >> paging file on another physical disk, you are unlikely to notice any
> >> performance improvement unless the disk with the paging file is much faster
> >> than the disk with the system partition and the disk with the paging file is
> >> normally accessed much less frequently.
> >> --
> >> Ted Zieglar
> >>

> >> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> it
> >> virtual
> >> F:
> >> pagefile.sys
> >> as

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:56:23 AM

If it ain't being used

attrib -r -s -h c:\pagefile.sys
del c:\pagefile.sys

http://www.uscricket.com
"Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9D24961-F4A2-4DC8-AA82-AD157F2D21FC@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the suggestion David. Actually, when using the /a switch, it does
> list the pagefile.sys on c:\... but the date associated with it is
> 02/11/2004, and it is 804409344 bytes. Right now, I have removed the
> pagefiles on all drives in windows in the virtual memory allocation window,
> but this still shows up. Any thoughts on this one? I'd love to free up
> 750M... Thanks.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> what does
>>
>> dir /a c:\*.*
>>
>> show?
>>

>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15C278B9-D037-4A5C-A42B-8453D058FCDE@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks for the quick response. I have my partition on a separate drive to
>> > conserve space on my C drive. I have followed all the directions that are
>> > listed on the MS page. I am confused because going through a command prompt,
>> > there is no listing of a pagefile on that drive, but there is on the drive
>> > that I moved it to.

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:58:04 AM

I use it occionally. I might have 30 IE windows open researching and it will take 1 week to read the material. I hibernate if I have to turn off the computer.

http://www.uscricket.com
"John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message news:eFDWiy19EHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>>I do have the hiberfil.sys on C:\. Is there any way I can move this one to
>> another drive as well without screwing things up? Under the power
>> properties, all I can see is a checkbox to enable hibernation, but no path
>> for the file.
>
> I have not found a way to change hiberfil.sys.
>
> BTW, if this is a desktop, I can't think of a good reason to use Hibernate
> anyhow.

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 11:58:05 AM

"David Candy" <.> wrote...
I use it occionally. I might have 30 IE windows open researching and it will
take 1 week to read the material. I hibernate if I have to turn off the
computer.

For a desktop, I would use Standby instead of Hibernate. You should have a
faster restart time, and the miniscule power used will not break your
electricity budget. Also, you will be able to recover the space used by
hiberfil.sys.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:37:51 PM

David

It is recommended that a small pagefile say 50 mb is kept on the system
drive / partition where the main pagefile is located elsewhere.

~~~~~~

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
If it ain't being used

attrib -r -s -h c:\pagefile.sys
del c:\pagefile.sys

http://www.uscricket.com
"Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the suggestion David. Actually, when using the /a switch,
> it does
> list the pagefile.sys on c:\... but the date associated with it is
> 02/11/2004, and it is 804409344 bytes. Right now, I have removed the
> pagefiles on all drives in windows in the virtual memory allocation
> window,
> but this still shows up. Any thoughts on this one? I'd love to free
> up
> 750M... Thanks.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> what does
>>
>> dir /a c:\*.*
>>
>> show?
>>

>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the quick response. I have my partition on a separate
>> > drive to
>> > conserve space on my C drive. I have followed all the directions
>> > that are
>> > listed on the MS page. I am confused because going through a
>> > command prompt,
>> > there is no listing of a pagefile on that drive, but there is on
>> > the drive
>> > that I moved it to.

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 1:37:52 PM

Gerry:

Unless one commonly experiences BSODs, in which case there is a larger
problem, I think 50MB seems a bit excessive for a stub page file. A minidump
occupies something like 2MB of diskspace. If one wishes for a larger data
dump on errors I believe the next level occupies 64MB.

Ted Zieglar

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> David
>
> It is recommended that a small pagefile say 50 mb is kept on the system
> drive / partition where the main pagefile is located elsewhere.
>

> ~~~~~~
>
> Regards.
>
> Gerry
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> If it ain't being used
>
> attrib -r -s -h c:\pagefile.sys
> del c:\pagefile.sys

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the suggestion David. Actually, when using the /a switch, it
>> does
>> list the pagefile.sys on c:\... but the date associated with it is
>> 02/11/2004, and it is 804409344 bytes. Right now, I have removed the
>> pagefiles on all drives in windows in the virtual memory allocation
>> window,
>> but this still shows up. Any thoughts on this one? I'd love to free up
>> 750M... Thanks.
>>
>> "David Candy" wrote:
>>
>>> what does
>>>
>>> dir /a c:\*.*
>>>
>>> show?
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://www.uscricket.com
>>> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 2:57:58 PM

It's usually when storms come.

http://www.uscricket.com
"John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23E8xUa39EHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "David Candy" <.> wrote...
> I use it occionally. I might have 30 IE windows open researching and it will
> take 1 week to read the material. I hibernate if I have to turn off the
> computer.
>
> For a desktop, I would use Standby instead of Hibernate. You should have a
> faster restart time, and the miniscule power used will not break your
> electricity budget. Also, you will be able to recover the space used by
> hiberfil.sys.

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:46:49 PM

Ted

The amount I quoted is based on an Article by Alex Nichol. What he
actually says is interesting bearing in the OP's problems.

"If you do put the file elsewhere, you should leave a small amount on
C: — an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum of 50 is suitable — so it can
be used in emergency. Without this, the system is inclined to ignore the
settings and either have no page file at all (and complain) or make a
very large one indeed on C."

~~~~~~

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Gerry:
>
> Unless one commonly experiences BSODs, in which case there is a larger
> problem, I think 50MB seems a bit excessive for a stub page file. A
> minidump occupies something like 2MB of diskspace. If one wishes for a
> larger data dump on errors I believe the next level occupies 64MB.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> David
>>
>> It is recommended that a small pagefile say 50 mb is kept on the
>> system drive / partition where the main pagefile is located
>> elsewhere.
>>

>> ~~~~~~
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> Gerry
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> FCA
>>
>> Stourport, Worcs, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> If it ain't being used
>>
>> attrib -r -s -h c:\pagefile.sys
>> del c:\pagefile.sys
>>

>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the suggestion David. Actually, when using the /a
>>> switch, it does
>>> list the pagefile.sys on c:\... but the date associated with it is
>>> 02/11/2004, and it is 804409344 bytes. Right now, I have removed
>>> the
>>> pagefiles on all drives in windows in the virtual memory allocation
>>> window,
>>> but this still shows up. Any thoughts on this one? I'd love to
>>> free up
>>> 750M... Thanks.

Anonymous
January 11, 2005 4:46:50 PM

Many thanks Gerry. I read that article previously and appreciate the way
Alex has explained a difficult concept.

The stub page file (my term) on my boot volume is set at a minimum of 2MB
and a maximum of 10MB. The latter may be excessive. I am setup this way
because I have elected the 'small memory dump' option, which records the
smallest amount of information to help identify a problem. This option
requires a paging file of at least 2MB on the boot volume and specifies that
Windows will create a new file each time the system stops unexpectedly. A
history of these files is stored in %SystemRoot%\Minidump. The small memory
dump file is sufficient for the Windows Error Reporting feature.

Not to boast, but I haven't encountered a BSOD on my computers since Windows
95, so I feel reasonably confident in this configuration. And if I were to
experience a STOP I would be more likely to troubleshoot it myself or
restore a known good image, if need be, rather than submit a dump for
analysis.

Still, I'd be glad to learn where the 50MB number comes from.
--

> Ted
>
> The amount I quoted is based on an Article by Alex Nichol. What he
> actually says is interesting bearing in the OP's problems.
>
> "If you do put the file elsewhere, you should leave a small amount on
> C: - an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum of 50 is suitable - so it can
> be used in emergency. Without this, the system is inclined to ignore the
> settings and either have no page file at all (and complain) or make a
> very large one indeed on C."
>

> ~~~~~~
>
> Regards.
>
> Gerry
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> > Gerry:
> >
> > Unless one commonly experiences BSODs, in which case there is a larger
> > problem, I think 50MB seems a bit excessive for a stub page file. A
> > minidump occupies something like 2MB of diskspace. If one wishes for a
> > larger data dump on errors I believe the next level occupies 64MB.
> >
> > Ted Zieglar
> >
> > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >> David
> >>
> >> It is recommended that a small pagefile say 50 mb is kept on the
> >> system drive / partition where the main pagefile is located
> >> elsewhere.
> >>

> >> ~~~~~~
> >>
> >> Regards.
> >>
> >> Gerry
> >>
> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >> FCA
> >>
> >> Stourport, Worcs, England
> >> Enquire, plan and execute.
> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >>

> >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> >> If it ain't being used
> >>
> >> attrib -r -s -h c:\pagefile.sys
> >> del c:\pagefile.sys
> >>

> >> --
> >> http://www.uscricket.com
> >> "Shaun" <Shaun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

January 11, 2005 10:07:03 PM

1-Go to Control Panel, Select System , Select Advanced, Select Peformance
Settings
Select Advanced, Select Change Virtual Memonry
2-You will see a list of all Hard Drives of your computer, for each hard
drive, select no paging file, select Set
3-Reboost your computer, now from Windows Explorer, Select TOOLS, FOLDER
OPTIONS, VIEWS, Check Show Hidden File and Folders, uncheck hide
protect...Click OK
4-Go to each drive and delete the pagefile.sys
5-Reboost
6-If you would like to set the pagefile.sys for any driver, you can repeat
step # and at the step #2, select Custom size and set to whatever you like or
set System manage. You can use this setup for any hard drive in your computer
7-Repeat the step #3 to hide your protected files.

JD

!