I recently installed Windows XP Home Edition SP2 as an upgrade from Windows
98. This was on a Dell Pentium 3 laptop.

Every program (particularly dial-up internet) runs very slowly now.

How to I fix this?

It's better not to upgrade, but to install fresh.
You can use XP Upgrade disk to run fresh install, just have your (or any
other) 98 disk ready – you’ll be prompted to briefly insert it during XP
install for eligibility verification. Don't forget to backup your personal
files/folders prior to wiping your dick clean though. :)

Other things to try ...

1. Have at least 256MB of RAM.
Memory Navigator:
http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/toc_feature.asp?loc=407
Shopping Links:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/shopping.htm

2. Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

3. How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com

Good Luck!

Buy more RAM (you'll want at least 512MB), a faster hard drive and a faster
video card. Even then, you'll still be stymied by a slow processor and slow
system buses. Better to save your money and buy a computer that's capable of
handling XP's demands.

Ted Zieglar

"kxp help" wrote:

> I recently installed Windows XP Home Edition SP2 as an upgrade from Windows
> 98. This was on a Dell Pentium 3 laptop.
>
> Every program (particularly dial-up internet) runs very slowly now.
>
> How to I fix this?

I have had this exact same problem with Windows quite a few times, and one
thing I always tell people that is basic when it comes to running Windows XP
is that the registry is like the backbone of the operating system and over
time it can become bogged down as spyware and adware install in different
points in the registry.

Like I told the gentlemen before, one thing that really helps Windows XP
users out that I have dealt with is to turn off the Indexing Service on the
main boot drive or in your case I would imagine it to be the C drive, point
to start, click and go to my computer, then go to the C:/ drive icon and
right click it, then go to properties and advanced settings tab, then uncheck
the option at the very bottom of the window that pops open, and when the tab
pops up, check apply to all and watch that babay go!!!, trust me, it will
give your computer quite a performance boost.

Generally it is recommended tat you try to acquire a pretty good
understanding about Windows XP because it has many small things that utilize
more of your system resources as opposed to say windows 98. Another good
thing to check up on is your antivirus and I would install and run SPYBOT
Search & Destroy and let it scan the Windows Registry, It is Windows bst
friend for keeping those nasty little presents from eating away at the core
of XP, and Java cools Spyware Blaster is also recommended, it will stop many
bugs from sneaking in through Internet Explorer and could go a long way
toward keeping spyware off of your machine.

aside from Linux, I like Windows XP alot and have come to find that it is a
very good and stable operating system, but you really have to know how to
maintain it and all he people that I deal with on using Windows know the same
thing as well, do a goole search for the aforementioned programs and check it
out!