AthlonXP @ 200Mhz (400Mhz effective) FSB?

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is an interesting article ovar at <A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Leadtek/7350KDA-OC/" target="_new">vr-zone on the Leadtek 7350KDA.</A> This motherboard uses the SiS 735 chipset. Apparently it supports 1/5 and 1/6 CPU-PCI clock multipliers, allowing you to run your Athlon FSB/memory at a 200MHz while keeping your peripherals in spec. I had heard something about this in a forum post a while back when talking about Intel's 845 chipset, but I haven't heard anything since.

How is the PCI multiplier determined? Does it automatically select the clock multiplier that will bring the PCI closest to spec? With a Via KT266A for example, would it be possible to overclock the CPU and memroy to 200MHz while keeping the PCI and AGP at 33MHz and 66MHz? Is the multiplier range supported determined by the chipset or the motherboard?

Granted, I'm not an 'expert' on overclocking, but I'm not a dummy either. I don't think I've ever heard reference to the PCI clock multiplier in any overclocking reviews, just warning about choosing peripherals that will run over spec. Does anyone know where I can get more information on the subject?

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

Overfloating

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
Here's an example to answer your query on how both the AGP and PCI multipliers are determined. If you have a 200 MHz FSB this is actually just a 100MHz FSB doubled. (I don't know the exact reason why it's doubled but I'm sure you could find out.)
So anyways your bios takes the 100 FSB and to find the PCI mutiplier it multiplies (1/3)*100 FSB = 33.33
to find AGP it's (2/3)*100FSB = 66.67
The usefullness of the options you are referring to in the 1/5 and 1/6 multipliers come up when you are overclocking or have higher a FSB of your motherboard. Say you have a 266 FSB = 133FSB * 2.
Then
(1/3)*133 FSB = 44.33 This is quite a bit high since it's reccommended to run at 33 and I'm sure instability issues would arise with the PCI card. So what is the solution? Have a new multiplier option to decrease the frequency. Such as.
(1/4)*133= 33.25 which is basically in spec.

I hope that helps clarify a little on how the multipliers work. Basically having the 1/5 and 1/6 options allows you oc the FSB more while keeping the peripherals in spec. I seriously doubt anyone can get the FSB up to 200 FSB(200*2=400) with these boards since the processor for one would probably quit before it got much higher than 160 FSB * 2 = 320 FSB. (I'm not saying it's not possible since results do vary from each board.) Also you'd have to have some damn good ram to support such high rates not to mention the boards chipset wouldn't make it. But theoretically, yes it's possible.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by overfloating on 12/01/01 02:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>