Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Battlefield 3 Directx function error graphics card out of memory

Last response: in Video Games
Share
November 26, 2011 10:18:44 AM

I'm getting a rather odd DirectX error when playing Battlefield 3.

I have a fairly old (But most definitely supported) NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 with the latest NVIDIA drivers and DirectX updates installed.

I have sufficient physical and virtual memory, but when playing the game, sometimes after 10 minutes in, sometimes after 30-45, I'll get this DirectX function error:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b92b880a2eb0b50a&sc=docu...

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to fix this error?
November 30, 2011 2:41:13 AM

paragoneer said:
I'm getting a rather odd DirectX error when playing Battlefield 3.

I have a fairly old (But most definitely supported) NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 with the latest NVIDIA drivers and DirectX updates installed.

I have sufficient physical and virtual memory, but when playing the game, sometimes after 10 minutes in, sometimes after 30-45, I'll get this DirectX function error:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=b92b880a2eb0b50a&sc=docu...

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to fix this error?



I have the same exact error message. I am running two HD6770's crossfired. I haven't found a solution yet. I have 16GB of RAM installed and I only encounter this problem while playing battlefield 3. If I find a solution I will update this post. In the meantime if you find something let me know? Thnx.
m
0
l
November 30, 2011 4:02:19 AM

I will. Thanks for the reply jbone
m
0
l
Related resources
December 4, 2011 11:52:14 PM

It's working better now, after I changed my graphics settings to low. My graphics card is perfectly capable of handling medium settings, I think this is a bug in Battlefield 3 rather than a graphics card issue.
m
0
l
December 19, 2011 5:08:26 PM

Hi,

Hopefully you all can shed some light on your system configurations as I'm going down the line of support options.

I have the same error message and happens at random times while playing the game, and it only occurs in Battlefield 3. Do either of you have the system setup with Lucid Virtu software and the video hooked to your onboard video port of the motherboard instead of the video card itself?

I found that disabling Lucid Virtu in the motherboard BIOS, hooking the video back up to the video card and uninstalling the Lucid Virtu software solved the issue for me. By no means is this a solution just a work around.

I suspect that the onboard video is being kicked in by the Lucid Virtu software while playing the game if only just for a moment and of course can't handle the memory requirements of the game. Either that or the game spits out that error because it is trying to use the onboard video instead of the dedicated video card.

I updated the motherboard BIOS, video card firmware, and three different Nvidia drivers clean install / uninstall of each. I also found that the Lucid Virtu software had an update specifically for Battlefield 3 performance issues. Also tried different virtual memory settings and Nvidia control panel / in game settings and the error persisted.

System specifications:
ASUS P8Z68-V - 0902 BIOS
CPU INTEL CORE I5 2500K
EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GTX 560 TI - firmware update from EVGA's support site
PSU ENERMAX EMD625AWT_II 625W RT
4Gx2 GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
500G WD SATAIII WD5000AAKX
DVD BURNER LITE-ON IHAS124-04
WIN 7 HOME SP1 64BIT
m
0
l
January 15, 2012 10:23:55 AM

I had that issue too. Did you disable the pagefile? Even though you may have enough RAM, BF3 seems to need a page file to run.

If that's not it I would turn off any overclock you have on your GPU, BF3 doesn't seem to like overclocks.
m
0
l
January 15, 2012 11:44:05 AM

xSociety said:
I had that issue too. Did you disable the pagefile? Even though you may have enough RAM, BF3 seems to need a page file to run.

If that's not it I would turn off any overclock you have on your GPU, BF3 doesn't seem to like overclocks.


The page file was turned on and set to system managed size, I also set this to manual and tried increasing the page file size.
The overclock is from EVGA themselves and I have not increased that at all.

Interestingly enough after running the game with Lucid Virtu disabled for over a month I've not had any of the Direct X out of memory errors. This is with / without a CPU overclock to 4.2GHz. BF3 seems to be stable for me at the moment without any crashes to speak of. I'm not sure if the Lucid Virtu problem has been addressed though as I've not gone back and tested it again.
m
0
l
January 16, 2012 5:39:32 AM

I don't have Lucid Virtu and my page file is 5GB so that shouldn't be the issue :p 

My DirectX is up to date, too. It's such a strange series of errors. :( 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 3:04:57 PM

have you installed the latest performance drivers? i dunno if nvidia have any beta drivers but they have released a few since bf3 some performed better than others as they were working on rage at the same time...

for amd cards you need the 12.1 beta performance drivers.
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 8:57:36 PM

vtec4me21 said:
The page file was turned on and set to system managed size, I also set this to manual and tried increasing the page file size.
The overclock is from EVGA themselves and I have not increased that at all.

Interestingly enough after running the game with Lucid Virtu disabled for over a month I've not had any of the Direct X out of memory errors. This is with / without a CPU overclock to 4.2GHz. BF3 seems to be stable for me at the moment without any crashes to speak of. I'm not sure if the Lucid Virtu problem has been addressed though as I've not gone back and tested it again.


After a whole lot of searching, and unfortunately spending some money, this post solved my problem. I have had the out of memory error from day 1 of playing the game. I have tried newer drivers, older ones, tried wiping the drivers clean and re-installing, none of that helped. I tried the adjusting the page file settings, that didn't help either. I have a GTX 560 Ti with 1GB of RAM, and after alot of reading came to believe that I just didn't have enough memory on the card to play this game. I turned my resolution down as low as it would go, turned the presets to Low, and as usual I would play for about 30-40 minutes at which point the game would die for the out of memory error. So I did some shopping a found a GTX 560 Ti from MSI with 2GB RAM, installed it, and unfortunately the problem was still there. I then came across this comment from vtec so I disabled the virtu software, disconnected the hdmi cable from the mobo to the monitor, connected a dvi cable from the graphics card to the monitor, and launched the game. I played for nearly 3 hours on 1920X1080 Ultra settings without any problems. I'm kinda tempted to put the old one back in and see what happens now, but figured I would just set them up for SLI.
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 9:18:57 PM

jessie_n_az said:
After a whole lot of searching, and unfortunately spending some money, this post solved my problem. I have had the out of memory error from day 1 of playing the game. I have tried newer drivers, older ones, tried wiping the drivers clean and re-installing, none of that helped. I tried the adjusting the page file settings, that didn't help either. I have a GTX 560 Ti with 1GB of RAM, and after alot of reading came to believe that I just didn't have enough memory on the card to play this game. I turned my resolution down as low as it would go, turned the presets to Low, and as usual I would play for about 30-40 minutes at which point the game would die for the out of memory error. So I did some shopping a found a GTX 560 Ti from MSI with 2GB RAM, installed it, and unfortunately the problem was still there. I then came across this comment from vtec so I disabled the virtu software, disconnected the hdmi cable from the mobo to the monitor, connected a dvi cable from the graphics card to the monitor, and launched the game. I played for nearly 3 hours on 1920X1080 Ultra settings without any problems. I'm kinda tempted to put the old one back in and see what happens now, but figured I would just set them up for SLI.



1 gb 560ti and 2gb 560ti sli ?

prepare for trouble
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 10:29:49 PM

don't they need to be the same card for SLI? I assume you'd have issues using two different cards
m
0
l
!