Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Control Panel
  • Battlefield
  • Multiplayer
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
November 26, 2011 10:19:45 AM

I have 2 entries for Battlefield 3 listed in Add Remove Programs, in Control Panel. Both are named 'Battlefield 3'.

Is 1 the single player installation and the other multiplayer, or is my installation corrupted?

More about : battlefield installation question

November 26, 2011 11:51:15 AM

Battlefield 3 is a single instillation. I installed it off of the discs and was taken directly to the origin website for patching and playing. All options for campaign and multiplayer are available at the website.
m
l
November 26, 2011 9:51:23 PM

Hmmm okay. In that case I'll reinstall the game. Thanks for the reply
m
l
November 26, 2011 10:25:21 PM

paragoneer said:
Hmmm okay. In that case I'll reinstall the game. Thanks for the reply

Good luck man. Let me know how it went.
m
l
November 27, 2011 2:02:20 AM

Hey man,

I reinstalled and made a few changes to the graphics settings and changed them to low - the game seems to be working fine now.

Weirdly, there are still 2 entries for Battlefield 3 in Add Remove Programs - ah well, guess 1 might be single player and 1 multiplayer after all! :p 

Check your Add Remove programs - do you have 1 or 2 entries listed there?

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated
m
l
November 27, 2011 3:53:37 AM

In programs and features I have Battlefield 3 and Battlelog web plugins. That is pretty much it.

Kind of strange...
m
l
November 27, 2011 8:17:52 AM

It is, it really is. I have Battlefield 3, Battlefield 3 and Battlelog web plugins.

So just to clarify, you only have Battlefield 3 listed once in your Add Remove Programs?
m
l
November 27, 2011 9:48:55 PM

paragoneer said:
It is, it really is. I have Battlefield 3, Battlefield 3 and Battlelog web plugins.

So just to clarify, you only have Battlefield 3 listed once in your Add Remove Programs?

I also have something called Battle.net

That is it.
m
l
November 27, 2011 10:19:37 PM

Battle.net? That's for World of Warcraft/Starcraft.....
m
l
November 27, 2011 11:30:16 PM

paragoneer said:
Battle.net? That's for World of Warcraft/Starcraft.....

Yeah, on second thought it is. lol
m
l
November 27, 2011 11:52:00 PM

:(  :lol: 
m
l
November 28, 2011 12:12:03 AM

paragoneer said:
:(  :lol: 

Is it still working okay for you?
m
l
December 4, 2011 11:52:06 PM

It's working better now, after I changed my graphics settings to low. My graphics card is perfectly capable of handling medium settings, I think this is a bug in Battlefield 3 rather than a graphics card issue.
m
l
December 5, 2011 1:48:43 AM

paragoneer said:
It's working better now, after I changed my graphics settings to low. My graphics card is perfectly capable of handling medium settings, I think this is a bug in Battlefield 3 rather than a graphics card issue.

If you have a 5770/460 or better, then you should be doing about 40 frames per second on medium settings in 1080p. If your card is at least equivalent to the ones named and you are not getting 40fps or better in medium settings in 1080p, then something is wrong.
m
l
December 6, 2011 10:57:39 PM

I have an NVIDIA GTS 250 and when set to medium settings, I had a perfectly reasonable 30fps+ to my mind.

The game was completely playable, but after around 20 minutes to an hour, the game would always crash with a directx function error. It just doesn't seem right, something seems to be wrong in the way that Battlefield 3 works with older graphics cards.
m
l
December 6, 2011 11:14:22 PM

paragoneer said:
I have an NVIDIA GTS 250 and when set to medium settings, I had a perfectly reasonable 30fps+ to my mind.

The game was completely playable, but after around 20 minutes to an hour, the game would always crash with a directx function error. It just doesn't seem right, something seems to be wrong in the way that Battlefield 3 works with older graphics cards.

I would think that you should be getting 30fps in medium with AA off and a modest resolution. I would think something would be wrong.

Have you updated your drivers?

BF3 wouldn't even run on my notebook. Wanna know why? Drivers.

Try updating your drivers if you haven't yet.

http://i.imgur.com/1RwKA.png

Is that similar to the screen you are getting?

Have you tried doing a fresh install/update of Direct X?
m
l
December 11, 2011 11:09:46 PM

I have the latest stable release drivers, and I still can't run the game for more than an hour on medium settings, without it crashing.

This is the dialog box that usually pops up when the game crashes while running on medium settings:

http://imgur.com/6AZuX
m
l
December 12, 2011 3:47:02 AM

paragoneer said:
I have the latest stable release drivers, and I still can't run the game for more than an hour on medium settings, without it crashing.

This is the dialog box that usually pops up when the game crashes while running on medium settings:

http://imgur.com/6AZuX

Your game is crashing because you are running out of V-ram. Your GPU borrows memory from your system ram, and at some point, you are just running out of available memory to use and Direct X can no longer render properly.

You need more ram. Pick up another 2GB stick and you will be good to go.

When it crashes is of no consequence. In all reality, you are probably teetering on the brink - and at some point it goes over and the game crashes.

Download game booster 3.0 and try using that. Also, you can open task manager (alt-control-delete) and kill unneeded programs that are hogging your system memory.
m
l
December 19, 2011 12:44:34 AM

I don't see how it's possible that I'm running out of RAM, as I have 4GB (And that's all I can have on a 32-bit system, not interestedin 64-bit)

Typically, my virtual and physical memory usage is at around 80% when I'm playing Battlefield 3. There are no sudden memory spikes, the memory usage usually stays around 80% (I have browsers and a few other small programs open as well)

If it was 95% or something, then maybe I'd have something to worry about, but it's unlikely running at 80% would lead to depletion of virtual memory?
m
l
December 19, 2011 4:56:55 AM

I looked around the internet on this one, and it seems that others are having similar problems.

You could try going into your Nvidia/AMD control panel and enabling triple buffering - that seemed to work for some.

Also, you could try turning off AA deferred (regardless of what the rest of the settings are). That seemed to help some people, also.
m
l
December 19, 2011 4:58:44 AM

I have AA already turned off.

Enabling triple buffering didn't change anything.

Thanks for keeping on top of this though! Much appreciated :) 
m
l
December 19, 2011 6:17:10 AM

paragoneer said:
I have AA already turned off.

Enabling triple buffering didn't change anything.

Thanks for keeping on top of this though! Much appreciated :) 

Hey - I have a good idea.

What browser are you using?

If you are using chrome, switch to firefox. Make firefox your default browser so that Battlelog will load up in firefox.

Then, turn off hardware acceleration in the web browser (firefox).

Give it a shot.
m
l
October 25, 2012 8:12:59 PM

paragoneer said:
I have 2 entries for Battlefield 3 listed in Add Remove Programs, in Control Panel. Both are named 'Battlefield 3'.

Is 1 the single player installation and the other multiplayer, or is my installation corrupted?

I have 2 Battlefield 3 in my Add/Remove programs. WHen I right click on origin games it's say that it's 31Gb...
I have CD for the installation. One is www.ea.com and the other one is C:/Program Files (x86)/etc
m
l
!