svchost.exe cannot start due to missing dltime.dll

When I log onto windows everything loads, but then a message appears saying
this application (svchost.exe) cannot start because the following dltime.dll
file is missing,
this first occured after Norton Antivirus alerted me that a virus had been
deleted

How can I repair this problem as I dont have any back ups of the file
I have also noticed a variety of outbound activity from my computer
appraently trying to connect to other computers,this happens everytime I
connect to the internet, and only begun after this file disapperared.

Any help apprecitaed
2 answers Last reply
More about svchost start missing dltime

    That file belongs to a keylogging trojan known as Backdoor.Tofger. The
    trojan horse program may have been included as an attachment to a spammed
    email.

    You must keep your virus definitions updated. This trojan was first
    discovered in 2003. Set Live Update to run automatically and install virus
    signature updates while you work.

    For manual removal instructions:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.tofger.html
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "LLewellyn" <LLewellyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I log onto windows everything loads, but then a message appears
    saying
    > this application (svchost.exe) cannot start because the following
    dltime.dll
    > file is missing,
    > this first occured after Norton Antivirus alerted me that a virus had been
    > deleted
    >
    > How can I repair this problem as I dont have any back ups of the file
    > I have also noticed a variety of outbound activity from my computer
    > appraently trying to connect to other computers,this happens everytime I
    > connect to the internet, and only begun after this file disapperared.
    >
    > Any help apprecitaed

    OK thanks for the pointers .I have removed the error messgae by following the
    information at the link and simply turned off the system restore,the comp now
    boots normally.

    Although there is still the problem of the unknown dialling activity shown
    one of the firewalls (currently running ZAlarm and Preventon) Preventon shows
    a large log file of outbound attempts ,it never showed anything like this
    before.

    I ran a utitlity (NOADWARE) which supposedly searched for malicious dialers
    and it came up with four located in the WINDOWS folder I deleted three but
    face this lasst problem of not knwoing if its safe to delete the last as
    there are two icons both named EXPLORER, according to NoAdware one of them is
    responsible. I am not keen on making backups of the files incase they are the
    infected

    Q.Will deleting these files stop windows xp running normally ?

    Q.Is it likeley that its is safe to delete them as they are problably called
    explorer
    so I would overlook them and keep them ?

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > That file belongs to a keylogging trojan known as Backdoor.Tofger. The
    > trojan horse program may have been included as an attachment to a spammed
    > email.
    >
    > You must keep your virus definitions updated. This trojan was first
    > discovered in 2003. Set Live Update to run automatically and install virus
    > signature updates while you work.
    >
    > For manual removal instructions:
    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.tofger.html
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "LLewellyn" <LLewellyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I log onto windows everything loads, but then a message appears
    > saying
    > > this application (svchost.exe) cannot start because the following
    > dltime.dll
    > > file is missing,
    > > this first occured after Norton Antivirus alerted me that a virus had been
    > > deleted
    > >
    > > How can I repair this problem as I dont have any back ups of the file
    > > I have also noticed a variety of outbound activity from my computer
    > > appraently trying to connect to other computers,this happens everytime I
    > > connect to the internet, and only begun after this file disapperared.
    > >
    > > Any help apprecitaed

Svchost.Exe DLL Windows XP