Is it normal for lsass.exe to constantly write to the hard HDD? If I bring
up task manager and look at processes with I/O read and write showing I see
an ever increasing number of hits on the HDD.

????

PS - I'm cross posting this to the security & performance groups as I do not
konw if it is a security or performance issue.

Hello, I was looking at the posted messages on the board and noticed your
problem, there is actually one solution to that, if you go to my computer,
point to the C:/ Drive and right click, when the window pops up then scroll
down to properties, when the properties tab opens up then look down to where
it says allow indexing service to index files on the harddisk for fast file
searching, uncheck that option and you will see the window pop up after you
do so hat shows the attributes being applied and it may take a while
depending on how many files you have stored on your harddrive, it will ask
you to apply changes to the c drive, all folders and sub folders or just c
drive itself, check the latter option.

Not only will this fix that problem but I have noticed on a number of
machines that I have used XP on that this also considerably speeds up your
computer and allocates more of the memory for your programs. The indexing
service can bog down the system resources and put extra load on the hard
drive because over time as you install programs and save files, i tries to
constantly keep track of all those, and this file you speak of is no
exception, but that has worked for me when I have had that problem.

"GSteven" wrote:

> Is it normal for lsass.exe to constantly write to the hard HDD? If I bring
> up task manager and look at processes with I/O read and write showing I see
> an ever increasing number of hits on the HDD.
>
> ????
>
> PS - I'm cross posting this to the security & performance groups as I do not
> konw if it is a security or performance issue.

lsass.exe - Process Information
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/lsass/

What is lsass.exe?
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsass.exe.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"GSteven" wrote:

| Is it normal for lsass.exe to constantly write to the hard HDD? If I bring
| up task manager and look at processes with I/O read and write showing I see
| an ever increasing number of hits on the HDD.
|
| ????
|
| PS - I'm cross posting this to the security & performance groups as I do not
| konw if it is a security or performance issue.

AFLietzke

I had the same Lsass.exe symptoms in XP-Home SP3:TaskMan indicating 3 Reads/sec and 3 Writes/sec. However, the above advice (to uncheck the indexing service for C:\), while plausible, was not helpful (indexing having been unchecked for several years). Event-Viewer revealed policy requests. ProcMon revealed Reg\Policy\IO that was inconsistent with RegEdit key-info. This left me baffled. Then, during a full Norton AV-scan in Safe Mode, I noticed that Lsass was quiet!! After finding no virus or spyware, I rebooted and started approaching Safe-Mode, by systematically turning-off services, and checking effectiveness in TaskMan. Nothing changed the Lsass Reads & Writes. However, three services (Telephony, Terminal, Remote Access Manager) refused to be stopped. Furthermore, all three were marked "Manual" start. Quite mysterious!!! So, I next disabled "Telephony" and "Terminal", and then rebooted. Voila!! Lsass.exe Read/Write counts were both constant for hours, and all three of the previous mysteriously auto-started "Manual" services stayed OFF. Might still have a problem, but Lsass is quiet.