Upgrade questions and concerns

G

It is that time of the year again when I get to tinker with my box, and add those new bells and whistles.
In doing research, I am simply getting overwhelmed at what is out there. The main use for my system other then the usual word processing, web stuff etc is gaming. Everquest to be specific. Sony upped the system requirements (http://everquest.station.sony.com/support/system_requirements.jsp)for the newest expansion due to the extreme 3d rendering graphics engine they are implementing next week. Since its upgrade time anyway, might as well make sure they will both run well together ;-)
I have been eyeing a dual processor setup, but would that give me any sort of noticeable improvement over a fast single chip setup?
Another concern is compatability. There have been a lot of problems with via chipsets, athalon, and sb live cards.. especially under win2k. I understand XP is a lot nicer with directx programs.
This is what I am currently running, and im looking to up at least the chip, mobo, ram to 512mb, and possibly the sound card if itll be more stable under 2k / xp.

Athalon 1100mhz 256 mb pc-133 ram
SB live 5.1
Asus mb with via chipset
promise ata100 ide raid controller
2 15gb WD caviar drives
geforce3 64mb video
adaptec 2940 scsi
400w atx p/s
dfe 10/100 pci ethernet card

dhlucke

Polypheme
Your rig meets the specs by a mile. What are you worried about? You have a CPU over a Ghz and GF3 so I'm not sure what more you hope to get out of the system.

However, getting a new motherboard with DDR memory might be nice. What monitor are you using though? I would think that with your current system you would probably enjoy a new monitor more than a new motherboard if you've got room to get a big one.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

If I were you I'd buy a second (relatively cheap) video card, and do a dual monitor system. They're well worthwhile. I'm running one right now, and its so useful. Then again, I do enough programming so its helpful there, but even for browsing the web and talking on aim at the same time they're useful. As for the rest of your system, I really wouldn't worry about it. Its not worth upgrading to a new mobo, as I imagine the socket A chipsets lifespan is limited, and by the time you want to upgrade your processor whatever motherboard you're using today won't be very useful.

Philip

G

Actually, I am replacing my laptop with a desktop since i cant tinker with it much, and laptop components arent up to par with desktop ones, especially graphics. I have 2 comps, which is a convient setup especially if i end up tinkering with one, or if one is having problems.
I have a kds 19" monitor, which is plenty big enough for what i use it for. I cant do a dual monitor, eq dosent support it.. already thought of that =)
Is there any real improvement a dual proc system has over a single? especially with regards to 3d games?

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Beuuuuuuuuutifull question ?

We hear A LOT about dual proc sys, but what real advantage are they and in what area ?
I can maybe see as servers, or heavy multitasking with graphics apps, but what about the rest of us ?

I did read somewhere Q3A does benefit from dual proc, but don't know by how much ! WHO DOES ??????

Danny

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm sure there is a website that has a list of programs that can take advantage of a duel setup. Dreamweaver and 3dstudiomax are the ones that make it useful for me for example.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Just what i thought !

BOOOOOOOOOORING apps.

What about what people really want to know : Q3A Q3A Q3A
Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A
Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A Q3A OPPs !

Just kidding you know, however.....

anonymous