So, casting around for a new MMOG to involve myself in, I was told about
Anarchy Online's fantastic offer; the game is free, and a year's play
time is free.

Most games offer a month free time when you buy the game. This is
radically different; I wasn't particularly interested in AO before
seeing this offer, but its just too good to turn down.

So, I went to the web site
http://www.anarchy-online.com/content/news/articles/8387L
which explains the deal. Looks like they are serious, of course the
idea is that I'll want the expansions, which I'll have to pay for and
which will break the "free year" part of the deal.

Thats ok with me, if I like the game I don't mind paying for it, or
paying for play time. I spent 5 years playing EQ1 and bought every
expansion, even the last couple which I didn't really get much use out
of (well, I played a berserker, which I couldn't have done without GOD,
but I didn't really do more than poke my head into GOD zones a couple
times, and only spent about 30 seconds in OOW).

The monthly fee bothers me even less, I've spent more on games in the
couple months since quitting EQ than I spent in a year of EQ
subscription fees; MMOG can be a money saver for me.

So why am I hooked on this free offer? Well, its the buyer's remorse
angle. I look around at all the games I could buy, and then I look at
games I've spent my money on over the years, most recently for example
Temple of Elemental Evil. I spent ten bucks on that game... and I
regret it.

Free, though, well, how can I go wrong? If I like it, I'll get
expansions and pay, most likely. If it turns out not to my taste,
though, I'm out nothing, hard to regret spending nothing.

OK, so I click download. Bah, it doesn't download right away, turns out
you need Bittorrent to download with. Following the links, it looks
like I have to pay at least $19.95. Aha, this is like the stuff they
offer to send you "free" by mail, only they require a "shipping and
handling" fee. I ship swords out by mail occaisionally, and I'll tell
you a deep dark secret; it costs me between five and ten bucks to ship
something, but I charge everyone twenty... whatever is left over is the
"and handling" part. Why do I do this? Because I hate shipping,
because I have to find a box that will fit and make sure the sharp end
doesn't end up poking out and hurting a postal worker (don't want to
disgruntle one), and because I don't want to take the time to figure out
exactly how much to charge when I don't even know what the final weight
of the package will be.

Thats a digression, though, my point is that it looked like "free" was
really going to cost me twenty bucks, and I started wondering what the
kickback arrangement was between Bittorrent and AO. Looking a bit
further though, I'm wrong, you can download Bittorrent without the part
of the arrangement that costs money. I'll have to look at the
arrangement deal and find out what they are trying to sell me... but for
my immediate purposes, just the software is free.

Downloaded that in about ten seconds, back to the AO site. Set up to
download AO; I get some weird Torrent file that takes about half a
second to download. Open that and Bittorrent opens up (along with a
donations page that I guess is part of the freeware package. I'll think
about it.) I specify a destination and at last the real download begins.

150 hours. This time drops steadily till it hits the 40 hour mark more
or less, but that seems to be a real figure. Less than a gigabyte of
content, on a DSL line which claims to give me 54 Mbps, now I don't know
a lot about how these things really work, but doesn't that mean I should
be able to get a gig in less than 18 seconds? Maybe thats 18 minutes?
Whatever, its been an hour so far and I'm at 7%. Now that implies that
the total time will be under 10 hours, but thats the same order of
magnitude as 40 hours, not as 18 seconds.

At the moment, Bittorrent reports a download rate of 6 KiB/s, downloaded
63.3M, out of a total of 817.6 MB.

More curiously, it reports and upload rate of 20 KiB/s and uploaded 165.2M.

Upload? What the heck is that about, I don't want to upload anything do
I? I've uploaded nearly three times as much as I've downloaded, if this
was just about sending the occaisional checksum back upstream to report
on how I'm doing I would expect a really tiny upload compared to download.

So, this first post isn't so much about AO as it is about the download
process itself. I guess I'll check back in a few hours and see how its
going, in the meantime I'll poke around a bit and look at the game
itself as featured on the web site and maybe I can find a Usenet group
for it or something to look at.

I bet I'll be one of the reviled crop of newbies, coming into the game
on a free scholarship like this, I know people railed against the free
magazine offers from CGW and the like back when EQ1 did it. Or maybe
they'll look on us as the potential new blood reviving the game, the way
some looked at the Platinum version newbies in EQ1.

Lance

"Lance Berg" wrote:
> I bet I'll be one of the reviled crop of newbies, coming into the game
> on a free scholarship like this, I know people railed against the free
> magazine offers from CGW and the like back when EQ1 did it. Or maybe
> they'll look on us as the potential new blood reviving the game, the way
> some looked at the Platinum version newbies in EQ1.

My experience with AO was very positive as far as being a newbie. The only
real reason I left AO was that I decided that I preferred the fantasy genre
for my MMO games. Though cancelled, my AO account is still active. It's
been a while since I've patched or hit the forums.

My suggestion would be to go to Jobe with your first character ... the newb
garden there is the most similar to what you'll be familiar with from EQ.
If your client doesn't come with Shadowlands, then it's six of one, half
dozen of the other. The RP folks really play up the Omni/Clan chatter from
time to time. Omni will have access to better gear, Clanners seem to have a
lot of fun working the 'Rebel' angle. Folks who start out as neutral
generally don't stay that way for long.

You'll see some familiar stuff. LDoN was lifted straight from the AO
mission terminal concept. I was running instanced missions in AO long
before LDoN came along.

Funcom's CS is first rate ... the gold standard IMO. You'll get a visit
from an ARK (AO's version of a GM) in your first few days just to check on
you .. make sure you're adjusting to the environment and answer any
questions you may have.

It's a fun game ... based on your posting history, I believe you'll enjoy
it.

Crash

Lance Berg wrote:
> [...]
> content, on a DSL line which claims to give me 54 Mbps, now I don't know
> a lot about how these things really work, but doesn't that mean I should
> be able to get a gig in less than 18 seconds? Maybe thats 18 minutes?
> Whatever, its been an hour so far and I'm at 7%. Now that implies that
> the total time will be under 10 hours, but thats the same order of
> magnitude as 40 hours, not as 18 seconds.
>
> At the moment, Bittorrent reports a download rate of 6 KiB/s, downloaded
> 63.3M, out of a total of 817.6 MB.
>
> More curiously, it reports and upload rate of 20 KiB/s and uploaded 165.2M.
>
> Upload? What the heck is that about, I don't want to upload anything do
> I? I've uploaded nearly three times as much as I've downloaded, if this
> was just about sending the occaisional checksum back upstream to report
> on how I'm doing I would expect a really tiny upload compared to download.
Bittorrent is a distributed download client. Your system is downloading
kinda random chunks (not in order like a normal download) from other
people that have already downloaded them, either from each other or from
the 'seeders' (seeders are machines making the whole thing available).
(As an example of how it's semi random, if the people you 'see' have
parts 1-250 of 255, your connection to a 'seeder' will download the 251
to 255 first...)

It's a bandwidth saving option for the people providing the software.
Their bandwidth expense is running the bittorrent control server and a
few seeder machines.
The downsides are some networks specifically block bittorrent traffic,
and some don't work well with it. Also, a friend got eatten alive by his
ISP during the WoW beta, because they use bittorrent and he has a strict
upload cap on his cable. Plus it's generally much slower than a normal
download.

Part of the basic bittorrent design is that your download rate is
relative to your upload rate.
http://bittorrent.com/
Is the official site, the program is open source though, so there are
hundreds of variants. some of them charge or install spyware (or both)
I use http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/torrent/index.phtml

> So, this first post isn't so much about AO as it is about the download
> process itself. I guess I'll check back in a few hours and see how its
> going, in the meantime I'll poke around a bit and look at the game
> itself as featured on the web site and maybe I can find a Usenet group
> for it or something to look at.
>
> I bet I'll be one of the reviled crop of newbies, coming into the game
> on a free scholarship like this, I know people railed against the free
> magazine offers from CGW and the like back when EQ1 did it. Or maybe
> they'll look on us as the potential new blood reviving the game, the way
> some looked at the Platinum version newbies in EQ1.
>
> Lance

Usenet and AO:

Found the group alt.games.anarchy-online

368 posts in it all told, dating back to 2003. More than half of them
aren't AO related.

This is certainly no alt.games.everquest!

<emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote:

> At the moment, Bittorrent reports a download rate of 6 KiB/s, downloaded
> 63.3M, out of a total of 817.6 MB.
>
> More curiously, it reports and upload rate of 20 KiB/s and uploaded 165.2M.
>
> Upload? What the heck is that about, I don't want to upload anything do
> I? I've uploaded nearly three times as much as I've downloaded, if this
> was just about sending the occaisional checksum back upstream to report
> on how I'm doing I would expect a really tiny upload compared to download.
>
> So, this first post isn't so much about AO as it is about the download
> process itself. I guess I'll check back in a few hours and see how its
> going, in the meantime I'll poke around a bit and look at the game
> itself as featured on the web site and maybe I can find a Usenet group
> for it or something to look at.

While you're at it, you should poke around and learn some about bittorrent.
It's the "wave of the future" in software distribution, and is a bit of
technological genius, but to get it working well, particularly on an
asynchronous connection, requires a touch of knowledge and a little
fiddling.

But thanks for the pointer. I think I'll sign up myself. I always thought
it looked like a neat game, and even bought it when it came out, but the
initial launch was so incredibly bad that I gave up on it. I'm assuming
they got all those technological hurdles figured out by now.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:53:34 -0500, Lance Berg wrote:

<snip the download story>
There are plenty of free bittorrent clients out there. I prefer Azureus
myself. It seems like this is the choice you have to make nowadays. As a
matter of fact the WoW patch client is torrent based from what I've read.
If you're a heavy .torrent user you will be able to download faster (that's
my own take on it) sort of like the emule client rating you higher the more
you transfer.

Now I've done some p2p in the past but I'm very wary of using *any* p2p
client to do game patching. I know that when I patch NWN it goes to a
Bioware ftp server. I have *no* clue when using a torrent where exactly
that file is coming from. It could be a "spoofed" torrent for all I know
and is infecting my entire family with the ebola virus. I just really worry
about security with them.

I also believe that companies are "cheaping out" as a recent trend. I guess
they figure "we got you to buy the game then we can get you to host our
patches." That worries me because what else will they cut back on. Lord
knows the software they're pushing out the door isn't finished. Where else
will they cut corners?

I think it's a good thing that Funcom is giving away the client. I'm apt to
agree with you that the community there will look at it as attracting "new
blood". When I played everyone was very friendly and helpful. I might give
it a try again - I'm kind of torn now. I was most likely going to get the
new Catacombs expansion for DAoC but since this is free I might just go AO
for a bit.

--
RJB
12/16/2004 11:19:07 AM

"In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of
incompetence."
-Laurence J. Peter

Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote:

[snip]

If you find it available anywhere for straight download, let us know.
I've tried BitTorrent several times in the past and have always been
disappointed - usually ending up with fragments of the file I want but
never the whole thing, not once.

You know the old saying about only getting one chance to make a good
first impression? BitTorrent missed several chances with me. I know it
has its fans and userbase, but based on past experiences I won't go
through the effort of installing it yet again.

I'd like to try the AO offer, though, so if a 'real' download location
is available, I'd jump on the chance.

--
Exodus 22:18 can kiss my pagan ass
www.lokari.net

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <R5adnRdHhagXMlzcRVn-gA@dejazzd.com>, emporer@dejazzd.com
says...
> So, casting around for a new MMOG to involve myself in, I was told about
> Anarchy Online's fantastic offer; the game is free, and a year's play
> time is free.
>
> Most games offer a month free time when you buy the game. This is
> radically different; I wasn't particularly interested in AO before
> seeing this offer, but its just too good to turn down.

Going through this process myself...

> So, I went to the web site
> http://www.anarchy-online.com/content/news/articles/8387L
> which explains the deal. Looks like they are serious, of course the
> idea is that I'll want the expansions, which I'll have to pay for and
> which will break the "free year" part of the deal.

Yep. They appear to be serious. Looks like there's a one month window on
creating the free accounts, but once your in its free until next
January.

> Thats ok with me, if I like the game I don't mind paying for it, or
> paying for play time. I spent 5 years playing EQ1 and bought every
> expansion, even the last couple which I didn't really get much use out
> of (well, I played a berserker, which I couldn't have done without GOD,
> but I didn't really do more than poke my head into GOD zones a couple
> times, and only spent about 30 seconds in OOW).
>
> The monthly fee bothers me even less, I've spent more on games in the
> couple months since quitting EQ than I spent in a year of EQ
> subscription fees; MMOG can be a money saver for me.
>
> So why am I hooked on this free offer? Well, its the buyer's remorse
> angle. I look around at all the games I could buy, and then I look at
> games I've spent my money on over the years, most recently for example
> Temple of Elemental Evil. I spent ten bucks on that game... and I
> regret it.
>
> Free, though, well, how can I go wrong? If I like it, I'll get
> expansions and pay, most likely. If it turns out not to my taste,
> though, I'm out nothing, hard to regret spending nothing.
>
> OK, so I click download. Bah, it doesn't download right away, turns out
> you need Bittorrent to download with. Following the links, it looks
> like I have to pay at least $19.95.

Ah... this confused me too.
On the matrix you want the last column. The first columns have free
downloads for the full game including different expansions, but you only
get a 14 day trial, not a free year with those. And signing up for that,
requires CC authorization for 19.95 (for the game with expansion) and
the subscription fee which will automatically be charged unless you
cancel before the free trial is over.

The last column however, is a free download, free signup without credit
card info, and free subscription.

> Aha, this is like the stuff they
> offer to send you "free" by mail, only they require a "shipping and
> handling" fee. I ship swords out by mail occaisionally, and I'll tell
> you a deep dark secret; it costs me between five and ten bucks to ship
> something, but I charge everyone twenty... whatever is left over is the
> "and handling" part. Why do I do this? Because I hate shipping,
> because I have to find a box that will fit and make sure the sharp end
> doesn't end up poking out and hurting a postal worker (don't want to
> disgruntle one),

rofl. I love that word. "disgruntled", the opposite of which must be
"gruntled". I dunno... I envision a cute little bear cub with a new
found honey pot as being 'gruntled'. I hope my postal worker is having a
similiar day. ;)

> and because I don't want to take the time to figure out
> exactly how much to charge when I don't even know what the final weight
> of the package will be.
>
> Thats a digression, though, my point is that it looked like "free" was
> really going to cost me twenty bucks, and I started wondering what the
> kickback arrangement was between Bittorrent and AO. Looking a bit
> further though, I'm wrong, you can download Bittorrent without the part
> of the arrangement that costs money.

Actually the you can even download it without bittorrent, for free, but
I'm at 4% after 10+ hours give or take. Looks like they're really
throttling bandwidth on that... which is understandable.

> I'll have to look at the
> arrangement deal and find out what they are trying to sell me... but for
> my immediate purposes, just the software is free.
>
> Downloaded that in about ten seconds, back to the AO site. Set up to
> download AO; I get some weird Torrent file that takes about half a
> second to download. Open that and Bittorrent opens up (along with a
> donations page that I guess is part of the freeware package. I'll think
> about it.) I specify a destination and at last the real download begins.
>
> 150 hours. This time drops steadily till it hits the 40 hour mark more
> or less, but that seems to be a real figure. Less than a gigabyte of
> content, on a DSL line which claims to give me 54 Mbps, now I don't know
> a lot about how these things really work, but doesn't that mean I should
> be able to get a gig in less than 18 seconds? Maybe thats 18 minutes?
> Whatever, its been an hour so far and I'm at 7%. Now that implies that
> the total time will be under 10 hours, but thats the same order of
> magnitude as 40 hours, not as 18 seconds.
>
> At the moment, Bittorrent reports a download rate of 6 KiB/s, downloaded
> 63.3M, out of a total of 817.6 MB.
>
> More curiously, it reports and upload rate of 20 KiB/s and uploaded 165.2M.

Ah...you are new to bittorrent. Bittorrent is a unique type of p2p
software. It was designed to allow the distribution of very large files
efficiently, by having the community that downloads them share them
simultaneously. Your downloading your copy from users who have
downloaded theirs, and people are downloading from you the part you have
already downloaded.

Its becoming commonly used by companies to distribute software as it
reduces their bandwidth requirements, as its essentially provided by
people who are downloading the software. The best way to download Linux
distros (routinely 3+ GB) in particular is via bittorrent.

Of course, it can and is also used to pirate music, movies, and
software. But its the first p2p software that seems to be gaining
widespread commercial use for legit purposes in addition to that.

I recommend reading the FAQ & Documentation on BitTorrent. It should
explain all.

> Upload? What the heck is that about, I don't want to upload anything do
> I? I've uploaded nearly three times as much as I've downloaded, if this
> was just about sending the occaisional checksum back upstream to report
> on how I'm doing I would expect a really tiny upload compared to download.

I'm guessing there is a considerable rush on downloads at the moment. On
the upside I'm showing 31hrs remaining on bittorrent, getting 24kb/s,
which is rapidly overtaking the download directly from funcom which had
a 10 hour headstart.

> So, this first post isn't so much about AO as it is about the download
> process itself. I guess I'll check back in a few hours and see how its
> going, in the meantime I'll poke around a bit and look at the game
> itself as featured on the web site and maybe I can find a Usenet group
> for it or something to look at.
>
> I bet I'll be one of the reviled crop of newbies, coming into the game
> on a free scholarship like this, I know people railed against the free
> magazine offers from CGW and the like back when EQ1 did it. Or maybe
> they'll look on us as the potential new blood reviving the game, the way
> some looked at the Platinum version newbies in EQ1.

That's if any of them notices us at all in the AO equivalent of the long
abandoned Qeynos Hills, Nektulos Woods, or Tox Forest. :D

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:56:14 GMT, 42 wrote:

> Yep. They appear to be serious. Looks like there's a one month window on
> creating the free accounts, but once your in its free until next
> January.

Read the fine print at the bottom though. If the lag associated with the
new free subscribers interferes with the paying community they can, at any
time, revoke the free period. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, they're in
it to make money of course and giving it away while pissing off existing
paying customers is just bad business. I'm just pointing it out now incase
they *do* have to cancel it at some point.
--
RJB
12/16/2004 12:53:30 PM

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human
history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
-Mitch Ratliffe

Started at around 1030 am my time, its not 545pm my time and I'm at 25%
finished. Might be things will pick up late tonight as fewer people are
using the net... or maybe not.

Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in

> 150 hours. This time drops steadily till it hits the 40 hour mark
> more or less, but that seems to be a real figure. Less than a
> gigabyte of content, on a DSL line which claims to give me 54 Mbps,
> now I don't know a lot about how these things really work, but doesn't
> that mean I should be able to get a gig in less than 18 seconds?
> Maybe thats 18 minutes? Whatever, its been an hour so far and I'm at
> 7%. Now that implies that the total time will be under 10 hours, but
> thats the same order of magnitude as 40 hours, not as 18 seconds.

54 Mbps? That's quite a connection there, you sure it's not more like 5
Mbps, or even lower? The DSL connections I've seen have been in the 0.5
Mbps to 3 Mbps range.

5 Mbps will work out to around 500k bytes per second. 800MB/.5MB=1600
seconds, or a bit under 30 minutes.

Your actual throughput will vary considerably depending on the load of
the server your are downloading from, as well as your ISPs load, and
anything in between the two. The likely limiting factor is going to be
their server, if many folks are taking advantage of this offer.

> At the moment, Bittorrent reports a download rate of 6 KiB/s,
> downloaded 63.3M, out of a total of 817.6 MB.
>
> More curiously, it reports and upload rate of 20 KiB/s and uploaded
> 165.2M.
>
> Upload? What the heck is that about, I don't want to upload anything
> do I? I've uploaded nearly three times as much as I've downloaded, if
> this was just about sending the occaisional checksum back upstream to
> report on how I'm doing I would expect a really tiny upload compared
> to download.

Does sound awfully high for downloading the game.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 18 Dwarven Shaman, 15 Scholar

>OK, so I click download. Bah, it doesn't download right away, turns out
>you need Bittorrent to download with. Following the links, it looks
>like I have to pay at least $19.95. Aha, this is like the stuff they
>offer to send you "free" by mail, only they require a "shipping and
>handling" fee. I ship swords out by mail occaisionally, and I'll tell
>you a deep dark secret; it costs me between five and ten bucks to ship
>something, but I charge everyone twenty... whatever is left over is the
>"and handling" part. Why do I do this? Because I hate shipping,
>because I have to find a box that will fit and make sure the sharp end
>doesn't end up poking out and hurting a postal worker (don't want to
>disgruntle one), and because I don't want to take the time to figure out
>exactly how much to charge when I don't even know what the final weight
>of the package will be.

bittorent is free, though there are, it seems, some sites which try to
charge you for it.

http://www.bittornado.com/

>Thats a digression, though, my point is that it looked like "free" was
>really going to cost me twenty bucks, and I started wondering what the
>kickback arrangement was between Bittorrent and AO. Looking a bit
>further though, I'm wrong, you can download Bittorrent without the part
>of the arrangement that costs money. I'll have to look at the
>arrangement deal and find out what they are trying to sell me... but for
>my immediate purposes, just the software is free.
>
>Downloaded that in about ten seconds, back to the AO site. Set up to
>download AO; I get some weird Torrent file that takes about half a
>second to download. Open that and Bittorrent opens up (along with a
>donations page that I guess is part of the freeware package. I'll think
>about it.) I specify a destination and at last the real download begins.
>
>150 hours. This time drops steadily till it hits the 40 hour mark more
>or less, but that seems to be a real figure. Less than a gigabyte of
>content, on a DSL line which claims to give me 54 Mbps, now I don't know
>a lot about how these things really work, but doesn't that mean I should
>be able to get a gig in less than 18 seconds? Maybe thats 18 minutes?
>Whatever, its been an hour so far and I'm at 7%. Now that implies that
>the total time will be under 10 hours, but thats the same order of
>magnitude as 40 hours, not as 18 seconds.

the speed will change depending on the number of "seeds" (people
sharing the completed file), and peers (others downloading the file,
like you).
it usually starts off slowly and picks up as more people complete the
file/ get more parts of the file.

>At the moment, Bittorrent reports a download rate of 6 KiB/s, downloaded
>63.3M, out of a total of 817.6 MB.
>
>More curiously, it reports and upload rate of 20 KiB/s and uploaded 165.2M.

while you are downlaoding through bittorent, you are also sharing the
parts of the file you already have, with other people.
nothing else is being uploaded from your pc.
the link i gave above has a version which allows you to throttle the
upload speed. useful for systems where if you max the upload, it slows
your download (like my cable modem)

>Upload? What the heck is that about, I don't want to upload anything do
>I? I've uploaded nearly three times as much as I've downloaded, if this
>was just about sending the occaisional checksum back upstream to report
>on how I'm doing I would expect a really tiny upload compared to download.

the point of bittorent is to share what you are downlaoding among the
other downloaders.
theres an faq on the link i gave above.

rb

AJ

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in
>
> > 150 hours. This time drops steadily till it hits the 40 hour mark
> > more or less, but that seems to be a real figure. Less than a
> > gigabyte of content, on a DSL line which claims to give me 54 Mbps,
> > now I don't know a lot about how these things really work, but doesn't
> > that mean I should be able to get a gig in less than 18 seconds?
> > Maybe thats 18 minutes? Whatever, its been an hour so far and I'm at
> > 7%. Now that implies that the total time will be under 10 hours, but
> > thats the same order of magnitude as 40 hours, not as 18 seconds.
>
> 54 Mbps? That's quite a connection there, you sure it's not more like 5
> Mbps, or even lower? The DSL connections I've seen have been in the 0.5
> Mbps to 3 Mbps range.
>
> 5 Mbps will work out to around 500k bytes per second. 800MB/.5MB=1600
> seconds, or a bit under 30 minutes.
>
> Your actual throughput will vary considerably depending on the load of
> the server your are downloading from, as well as your ISPs load, and
> anything in between the two. The likely limiting factor is going to be
> their server, if many folks are taking advantage of this offer.
>

> > At the moment, Bittorrent reports a download rate of 6 KiB/s,
> > downloaded 63.3M, out of a total of 817.6 MB.
> >
> > More curiously, it reports and upload rate of 20 KiB/s and uploaded
> > 165.2M.
> >
> > Upload? What the heck is that about, I don't want to upload anything
> > do I? I've uploaded nearly three times as much as I've downloaded, if
> > this was just about sending the occaisional checksum back upstream to
> > report on how I'm doing I would expect a really tiny upload compared
> > to download.
>
> Does sound awfully high for downloading the game.

Everyone and their dog is attempting to download this game. The host
bandwidth is probably extremely congested and will be for a good while. I
set my comp to download all night last night (8 hours on a 56k) and only
downloaded 29 megs of material. Usually I can get in a good 120+ in 8 hours.

<wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> > Does sound awfully high for downloading the game.
>
> Everyone and their dog is attempting to download this game. The host
> bandwidth is probably extremely congested and will be for a good while. I
> set my comp to download all night last night (8 hours on a 56k) and only
> downloaded 29 megs of material. Usually I can get in a good 120+ in 8 hours.

From the time of my last post until this one (feels like maybe 2 hours, but
I can't be bothered to check), I downloaded the entire 800+ megs. I'm on a
"slow", asynchronous DSL line.

I would hate to try and download anything this size over dialup though.

Did you say something, Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com>?

[AO downloading]

>150 hours. This time drops steadily till it hits the 40 hour mark more
>or less, but that seems to be a real figure. Less than a gigabyte of
>content, on a DSL line which claims to give me 54 Mbps, now I don't know
>a lot about how these things really work, but doesn't that mean I should
>be able to get a gig in less than 18 seconds? Maybe thats 18 minutes?
>Whatever, its been an hour so far and I'm at 7%. Now that implies that
>the total time will be under 10 hours, but thats the same order of
>magnitude as 40 hours, not as 18 seconds.

My numbers started at 24 hours, then 12 hours, and kept dropping as I
progressed (probably as I got more stuff for others to upload). I
ended up getting the whole thing in 4-5 hours.

Cel
Retired druids & sundry

AJ

"Faned" <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message
> <wanink@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Does sound awfully high for downloading the game.
> >
> > Everyone and their dog is attempting to download this game. The host
> > bandwidth is probably extremely congested and will be for a good while.
> > set my comp to download all night last night (8 hours on a 56k) and only
> > downloaded 29 megs of material. Usually I can get in a good 120+ in 8
hours.

> From the time of my last post until this one (feels like maybe 2 hours,
but
> I can't be bothered to check), I downloaded the entire 800+ megs. I'm on
> "slow", asynchronous DSL line.
>
> I would hate to try and download anything this size over dialup though.

2 hours? sigh. Looks like I may have to find a person w/ a copy of this game
and just borrow it. taking much too long

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>You -can- download it directly from AO. (On the download page they
>provide both options)

Are you talking about the link that ultimately goes to CNet? That's
the only one I can find. But I'm old, and probably going blind in my
dotage.

>I gave up on the direct download myself, but its there if you want to
>subject yourself to it. :)

All evidence indicates that I was put on this Earth to suffer.

--

In article <su5ho0y9p0o9$.dlg@robartle.nospam.hotmail.com>,
robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com says...
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:56:14 GMT, 42 wrote:
>
> > Yep. They appear to be serious. Looks like there's a one month window on
> > creating the free accounts, but once your in its free until next
> > January.
>
> Read the fine print at the bottom though. If the lag associated with the
> new free subscribers interferes with the paying community they can, at any
> time, revoke the free period. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, they're in
> it to make money of course and giving it away while pissing off existing
> paying customers is just bad business. I'm just pointing it out now incase
> they *do* have to cancel it at some point.

I did see it. And as you did, reasoned that it was a perfectly
reasonable limitation. And as it really doesn't affect the value of the
offer (being 'free' and all), I didn't mention it.

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in

> In article <su5ho0y9p0o9$.dlg@robartle.nospam.hotmail.com>,
> robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com says...
>> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:56:14 GMT, 42 wrote:
>>
>> > Yep. They appear to be serious. Looks like there's a one month
>> > window on creating the free accounts, but once your in its free
>> > until next January.
>>
>> Read the fine print at the bottom though. If the lag associated with

also, keep an eye on your account, log in and check to make sure they
aren't going to charge you in the next billing period. When you are going
to the funcom site, be very very careful not to click on anything about the
expansions as it'll sign you up for them without any confirmation or any
way to cancel. I used a free trial period and that happened to me, one of
the few reasons I didn't continue with the game. Very enjoyable game, a
bit more complicated than EQ (not necessarily a bad thing). Was fun
blasting things with my laser guns.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 05:29:04 GMT, Bebinn <bebinn@invalid.com> wrote:

>also, keep an eye on your account, log in and check to make sure they
>aren't going to charge you in the next billing period.

Simple solution: They have the option when setting up your account not
to give them any billing info at all. I presume this is to accommodate
game cards. Use that option.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <t815s09aahj7sn9np4mq20s29age8ifk6h@4ax.com>,
darktiger@somewhere.net says...
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 05:29:04 GMT, Bebinn <bebinn@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >also, keep an eye on your account, log in and check to make sure they
> >aren't going to charge you in the next billing period.
>
> Simple solution: They have the option when setting up your account not
> to give them any billing info at all. I presume this is to accommodate
> game cards. Use that option.

The 'new' 'free subscription' deal doesn't require you to enter any
credit card information in order to start playing.

If you've been prompted for CC info, its because you downloaded the
wrong version, with expansions, with a free 14 day trial -- and not the
'AO classic' without expansions, with the free subscription.

At any rate, the software shouldn't ask you for your CC, and if you
don't enter any CC in, you can rest assured you can't be billed for it.

Lance Berg wrote:

> 22 hours later I'm at 93%. I've downloaded 761.5M while uploading
> 1376.5M... sounds, from what you are saying, that I could have throttled
> my upload rate down to where the two were about even?

Here's another oddity; early on my download rate was about half my
upload rate, but now the two are about even (sadly, because my upload
rate slowed down to meet my download rate, not the reverse)

Now if I understand things right, the upload is me sending out to other
users, while the download is me getting from other users.

Since I now have 93% of the packets, I'd think I'd have a lot more
chance of having what any given user needs then back when I had 3% of
the packets.

But instead of starting out with little upload and lots of download, and
then gradually swapping places, it looks like the reverse happened, the
more I have, the less people want of what I have.

I saw somewhere that throttling upload wouldn't work because sharing is
on a peer to peer basis, so the less upload I allow, the less download
I'm allowed. That seems like a good idea to me, preventing freeloaders,
but I can also see where I'd still want to throttle upload down a bit,
if my total upload+download is fixed; throttling to 1/4th my total would
mean I'd get matching dowload of only 1/4th, but if upload uses up
3/4ths my total then all the room I have left for download is also
1/4th the total. By throttling upload to 1/2 the total, I'd maximize my
download speed to 1/2 the total.

If that analysis is correct, then it looks like my upload was at around
2/3rds my total yesterday, so I only had room for 1/3rd. And now this
morning, I'm only uploading 1/3rd my total, so I'm limited to 1/3rd my
total for download as well. I'd go faster if only there was more demand?

Lance

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 05:29:04 GMT, Bebinn <bebinn@invalid.com> wrote:

>42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
>
>> In article <su5ho0y9p0o9$.dlg@robartle.nospam.hotmail.com>,
>> robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com says...

>>> Read the fine print at the bottom though. If the lag associated with
>
>also, keep an eye on your account, log in and check to make sure they
>aren't going to charge you in the next billing period.

Click the option which does not require credit card details, then no
worries :)

Palindrome

Lance Berg wrote:

> Started at around 1030 am my time, its not 545pm my time and I'm at 25%
> finished. Might be things will pick up late tonight as fewer people are
> using the net... or maybe not.

10:12 am the next day, completed download. Slightly under 24 hours
total, on my DSL connection with a completely untwinked version of what
seems to be the original BitTorrent client

<emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote:

> Lance Berg wrote:
>

> > Started at around 1030 am my time, its not 545pm my time and I'm at 25%
> > finished. Might be things will pick up late tonight as fewer people are
> > using the net... or maybe not.
>
> 10:12 am the next day, completed download. Slightly under 24 hours
> total, on my DSL connection with a completely untwinked version of what
> seems to be the original BitTorrent client

How were your other internet activities during that time? I suspect that
you, like most people on DSL, have a very limited upload bandwidth. I know
that before I figured out how to throttle the upload side of my connection I
could saturate it to the point where it would severely impact my download
bandwidth. The simple explanation for this is that your computer has to
"upload" a request for more stuff to download, and if your upload bandwidth
is saturated, it doesn't matter if you've got tons of unused download
bandwidth, cause your computer can't get a message out asking for more to
download.