5108US -- sloooooowing down

OS: Windows XP
RAM: 120MB (detetcted...even tho theres 128)
PROC: 1.2GHz Celeron

the computer is old, i know. its also on all the time and i use it all the
time, thats why i got it (i'm a college student).

lately, however, as soon as i turn it on the lag is unbeleiveable. windows
close by slowly disappearing down the screen... whenever i click anything it
takes a good 5+ seconds to respond.

my hard drive is well over half empty, i frequently use adaware and disk
cleanup, and im fairly positive its the computer, not a virus.

any ideas? im probably just buying a new one, but i thought id get at least
a little input.

~jb

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do so with
religious conviction.
--Blaise Pascal
More about 5108us sloooooowing down

    It's hard to say without sitting at the machine but a ram upgrade would
    probably do you wonders. After the machine boots hit ctrl-alt-del and
    run Task Manager to check your memory usage. I'd recommend upgrading to
    the maxium the machine can handle. Do you run virus software to know
    for sure that it isn't a virus?

    shesSUBLiME wrote:

    > OS: Windows XP
    > RAM: 120MB (detetcted...even tho theres 128)
    > PROC: 1.2GHz Celeron
    >
    > the computer is old, i know. its also on all the time and i use it all the
    > time, thats why i got it (i'm a college student).
    >
    > lately, however, as soon as i turn it on the lag is unbeleiveable. windows
    > close by slowly disappearing down the screen... whenever i click anything it
    > takes a good 5+ seconds to respond.
    >
    > my hard drive is well over half empty, i frequently use adaware and disk
    > cleanup, and im fairly positive its the computer, not a virus.
    >
    > any ideas? im probably just buying a new one, but i thought id get at least
    > a little input.
    >
    > ~jb

    I second the RAM upgrade. 128MB is totally insufficient for XP. Try for
    512MB. The reason Windows only sees 120MB is that 8MB is used as video
    memory.
    Also, if you are running a .JPG file as wallpaper and it is stretched, that
    will slow down screen redraws noticeably.
    HH

    "shesSUBLiME" <twilightSpecial@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OS: Windows XP
    > RAM: 120MB (detetcted...even tho theres 128)
    > PROC: 1.2GHz Celeron
    >
    > the computer is old, i know. its also on all the time and i use it all the
    > time, thats why i got it (i'm a college student).
    >
    > lately, however, as soon as i turn it on the lag is unbeleiveable.
    windows
    > close by slowly disappearing down the screen... whenever i click anything
    it
    > takes a good 5+ seconds to respond.
    >
    > my hard drive is well over half empty, i frequently use adaware and disk
    > cleanup, and im fairly positive its the computer, not a virus.
    >
    > any ideas? im probably just buying a new one, but i thought id get at
    least
    > a little input.
    >
    > ~jb

    > Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do so with
    > religious conviction.
    > --Blaise Pascal

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 09:32:16 -0400, "shesSUBLiME"
    <twilightSpecial@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >any ideas? im probably just buying a new one, but i thought id get at least
    >a little input.

    Download a trial copy of RegVac and use it to clean up leftovers.
    When I used it, often time XP improves the performance by a lot. If
    that doesn't help much, you'd have to buy the RAM like other
    suggested.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    shesSUBLiME wrote:
    > OS: Windows XP
    > RAM: 120MB (detetcted...even tho theres 128)
    > PROC: 1.2GHz Celeron
    >
    > the computer is old, i know. its also on all the time and i use it
    > all the time, thats why i got it (i'm a college student).
    >
    > lately, however, as soon as i turn it on the lag is unbeleiveable.
    > windows close by slowly disappearing down the screen... whenever i
    > click anything it takes a good 5+ seconds to respond.
    >
    > my hard drive is well over half empty, i frequently use adaware and
    > disk cleanup, and im fairly positive its the computer, not a virus.
    >
    > any ideas? im probably just buying a new one, but i thought id get at
    > least a little input.
    >
    > ~jb

    Check this out for help with slow computers:

    And you may also wish to defrag the drive. Try the free eval version of
    Perfectdidk, does a great job. Defrag both the drive and the system files.
    http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk2000_download.cfm

    Bill

    > shesSUBLiME wrote:
    >> OS: Windows XP
    >> RAM: 120MB (detetcted...even tho theres 128)
    >> PROC: 1.2GHz Celeron
    >>
    >> the computer is old, i know. its also on all the time and i use it
    >> all the time, thats why i got it (i'm a college student).
    >>
    >> lately, however, as soon as i turn it on the lag is unbeleiveable.
    >> windows close by slowly disappearing down the screen... whenever i
    >> click anything it takes a good 5+ seconds to respond.
    >>
    >> my hard drive is well over half empty, i frequently use adaware and
    >> disk cleanup, and im fairly positive its the computer, not a virus.
    >>
    >> any ideas? im probably just buying a new one, but i thought id get at
    >> least a little input.
    >>
    >> ~jb
    >
    > Check this out for help with slow computers:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    I had the same problems with several of my clients.
    you can download a free (30 day eval) great utility called system mechanic
    from ww.iolo.com It will diagnose several programs and allow you to fix
    almost anything

Compaq Computer Computers