Reinstall TCP/IP Printer Port module

Bruce

I have been troubleshooting an Explorer.exe crash whenever I attempt to add a
TCP/IP Print port using the TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard. I get the error just
after entering an IP address and name for the local network laserjet printer
on my home network. All the other machines have successfully connected to
this printer through a TCP/IP connection with the printer (Konica 2300DL)
hooked directly to the router. The printer and router work fine. It is a
software issue on the new computer with a new (one month old) Win XP Pro SP-2
installation. There are no other issues with the machine.

I have researched as much as possible and there do not appear to be any
third party drivers installed that could be causing the crash.

How can I rip out the module that contains the TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard
and reinstall it. I want to use a simple command line approach that you see
from time to time with other modules. The last thing I want to do is
reinstall Windows XP as everything else is working perfectly. Thank you

Are you going to tell us what the error says, or did you want us to guess?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been troubleshooting an Explorer.exe crash whenever I attempt to
add a
> TCP/IP Print port using the TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard. I get the error
just
> after entering an IP address and name for the local network laserjet
printer
> on my home network. All the other machines have successfully connected to
> this printer through a TCP/IP connection with the printer (Konica 2300DL)
> hooked directly to the router. The printer and router work fine. It is a
> software issue on the new computer with a new (one month old) Win XP Pro
SP-2
> installation. There are no other issues with the machine.
>
> I have researched as much as possible and there do not appear to be any
> third party drivers installed that could be causing the crash.
>
> How can I rip out the module that contains the TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard
> and reinstall it. I want to use a simple command line approach that you
see
> from time to time with other modules. The last thing I want to do is
> reinstall Windows XP as everything else is working perfectly. Thank you

Bruce

Ted,

The error messages from the TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard after inputting the
IP address are as follows are as follows:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience.

Error signature AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName:
msvcrt.dll ModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 Offset: 000367ef

Then Explorer temporarily shuts down and restarts. Again, there are no third
party DLLs in the C:\Windows\ taking precedence over the System32 DLLs as
described in some articles.

If you find anything out on this one please let me know. I am getting exactly
the same problem. I have a wireless printer I am trying to install. I can
install the printer on other systems but not this one because of the problem.
Thanks,
Dave
david.berry@hp.com