Sign in with
Your question

Can't run skyrim maxed out!?

Last response: in Video Games
November 26, 2011 5:30:23 PM

Why can't I run it maxed out, eventhough my friends can and their specs are alot lower??
My specs:
Harddisk: 1TB
Res: 1440x900
No overclocking because Nvidia is practically impossible to overclock...
CPU: Inteli5(R) Core(TM) 650 @ 3.20GHz Quad core
8GB RAM
DX11
Graphcs Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 465
-Memory: 4065MB
Everything is up-to-date
Also I have about a 550watt powersupply, and cooling fan.

It reccommends the game for high quality, but when i'm in big towns like solitude, and markarth, I get fps lag (the screen shutters).

Please help if you know what may be the cause.

More about : run skyrim maxed

November 26, 2011 6:10:34 PM

Could be driver issues for your exact graphics card, or compatibility issues with the game. As it is a new game, better specs doesn't always equal better performance. Future drivers and/or game patches may help.
m
l
November 26, 2011 6:56:53 PM

Acidic Peanut said:
Why can't I run it maxed out, eventhough my friends can and their specs are alot lower??
My specs:
Harddisk: 1TB
No overclocking because Nvidia is practically impossible to overclock...
CPU: Inteli5(R) Core(TM) 650 @ 3.20GHz Quad core
8GB RAM
DX11
Graphcs Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 465
-Memory: 4065MB
Everything is up-to-date
Also I have about a 550watt powersupply, and cooling fan.

It reccommends the game for high quality, but when i'm in big towns like solitude, and markarth, I get fps lag (the screen shutters).

Please help if you know what may be the cause.

http://www.evga.com/precision/
Nvidia overclocking tool
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2011 8:20:14 PM

Acidic Peanut said:

Tom's did a benchmark of Skyrim at release.
Looking at that, I highly doubt your friends with lesser systems can max it, when your system, depending of resolution which you unfortunately did not list, is not able to max it.

As has been said already, update your drivers if you have not already and download either Precision from EVGA of MSI Afterburner to overclock your card, they are basically the same just with a different GUI, but do keep an eye on temp of your GTX 465!
m
l
November 27, 2011 1:03:29 PM

I'd overclock your processor to 3.5Ghz and see if that helps. Skyrim is more cpu based than gpu based.
m
l
November 27, 2011 1:10:38 PM

crewton said:
I'd overclock your processor to 3.5Ghz and see if that helps. Skyrim is more cpu based than gpu based.

This is definitely not the case. There are come CPU's that would limit performance but an i5 @ 3.2 isnt going to limit him at all. First of all Skyrim only utilizes 2 cores, so the quad doesnt really help that much. What matters more is the speed and 3.2 ghz is plenty fast enough to not be a bottleneck. Its going to be more your GPU. I slow down a bit at times even with my 570 so that is clearly the weakpoint.
m
l
November 27, 2011 1:42:31 PM

He wants to max it out...http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-... 3.2Ghz is fine at lower settings but if he wants to play without lag on high/ultra he'll need to bump up the cpu speed. A gtx 260 can play on ultra. This game doesn't rely on graphics for textures/shading they use the cpu.
m
l
December 3, 2011 12:02:06 AM

lothdk said:
Tom's did a benchmark of Skyrim at release.
Looking at that, I highly doubt your friends with lesser systems can max it, when your system, depending of resolution which you unfortunately did not list, is not able to max it.

As has been said already, update your drivers if you have not already and download either Precision from EVGA of MSI Afterburner to overclock your card, they are basically the same just with a different GUI, but do keep an eye on temp of your GTX 465!

The res is 1440x900, forgot to list it :\
m
l
December 3, 2011 12:03:56 AM

Also, ill overclock and get back with you to see if it helped at all! Thanks for all of the usefull replies, I appreciate them.
m
l
December 3, 2011 6:55:17 PM

bdizzle11 said:
This is definitely not the case. There are come CPU's that would limit performance but an i5 @ 3.2 isnt going to limit him at all. First of all Skyrim only utilizes 2 cores, so the quad doesnt really help that much. What matters more is the speed and 3.2 ghz is plenty fast enough to not be a bottleneck. Its going to be more your GPU. I slow down a bit at times even with my 570 so that is clearly the weakpoint.

Actually your wrong, it definitely is the case. Skyrim off loads shadow rendering to the CPU.

Running Skyrim on Ultra at 1080p with a 4.5Ghz overclock on my 2500k and a GTX570 I get 60fps+. With stock clock speeds at 3.3Ghz I get 45fps. So yeah, thats a big difference.
m
l
December 3, 2011 6:57:55 PM

crewton said:
He wants to max it out...http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-... 3.2Ghz is fine at lower settings but if he wants to play without lag on high/ultra he'll need to bump up the cpu speed. A gtx 260 can play on ultra. This game doesn't rely on graphics for textures/shading they use the cpu.

Agreed.
m
l
December 4, 2011 5:16:31 PM

Ok, Overclocked the core/shader clock, from 607 Default to 705, also had to bump my fan speed from 40% to 77%. As far as i could tell, It made no difference at all....
m
l
December 4, 2011 6:40:26 PM

Acidic Peanut said:
Ok, Overclocked the core/shader clock, from 607 Default to 705, also had to bump my fan speed from 40% to 77%. As far as i could tell, It made no difference at all....

I think overclocking the video card only helps slightly. I've seen a few extra fps from this but not enough to make it worthwhile. I've put in significant amount of time with card on normal and then overclocked. It really doesn't help much. I keep it overclocked because it does help in other game engines. The core issue right now is that Bethesda seems to have optimized the game to utilize the CPU to do ALL of the shadow rendering, not some but all of it, instead of offloading on the much more capable GPU's we have in our PCs. I'm guessing that they did this to allow the console versions to run since the video devices in those can't handle the game properly on it's own and lack enough memory.
m
l
December 6, 2011 12:37:02 PM

I don't think overclocking your GPU will yield much of a difference. I would try overclocking your CPU. Skyrim can be more of a CPU intensive game, especially if you're saying you see a drop when you are in Solitude, which is a large town.
m
l
December 11, 2011 6:27:43 PM

Regarding the advise on overclocking the CPU, I have been overclocking with EVGA which has no option for the CPU. Right now, the max load heats the GPU to about 70-60c, so if I were to overclock my CPu, should I underclock before-hand? And if you knwo where I could get a program to clock my CPU that would be even more helpful.
m
l
December 12, 2011 3:49:02 PM

you overclock the cpu in your bios.
m
l
December 16, 2011 4:24:45 PM

I run it on Ultra with an i7 920 @ 3.6 and a 580GTX, I get some minor frame drops in the cities on Ultra, nothing too bad, but I realize my proc is dated now. Although not dated enough for me to want to replace it yet.

Although overall I would say this is the smoothest running Bethesda RPG release in awhile. I know some people have been having crashing issues, but with the 4gb memory aware mod, Ive had maybe 1 or 2 crashes in almost 90 hours.

I could install oblivion right now and it would still stutter relentlessly outdoors.
m
l
!