P2B-LS - what's the fastest video card I can use

G

with this old crusty mobo
<A HREF="http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/Pentiumpro/P2b-ls/index.html" target="_new">http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/Pentiumpro/P2b-ls/index.html</A>

can I use the latest and greatest video cards like a Raedon 8500 or the GeForce3 ti 500 ? They seem to want a AGP 2x/4x port...I don't think this motherboard has that? if I can't use those cards...what is the max fastest card that can be used?

thanks for your time

Andy

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
My wife's P2B is running a Gforce2 GTS without any problems. So I know it will handle AGP 4x but probably not as well as a new board .

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OldBear on 11/30/01 11:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The BX chipset is AGP 2x and is compatable with ALL video cards. At one time earlier boards than yours were having problems because newer cards were drawing too much power. I don't know what the limit is for the P2B, but I'm fairly sure that no current card surpasses that limit. And even on cards as new as the GeForce2 GTS, the diference between AGP2x and AGP4x is less than the gain you get from the inherant efficiency of the BX chipset, so performance should not be a problem and will be dependant more on your CPU and Video card than your motherboard.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Yesterday I installed a Geforce 3 Ti200 on my Asus P2B-DS and it seems to work okay. But make sure you have fast enough a CPU (I have a P3 800 and my Ti200 seems to be running at 55% of the speed it would have on a fast P4 or Athlon - according to 3dmark2001)

G

i need to know anyone installed a recent card on a <b>PURE</b> P2B without those -B, -LS and etc..

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It will work but make sure you have at the very least a 500MHz processor. Under that, you're just wasting money. Even 500MHz isn't nearly enough to make full use of the performance of the latest graphics boards.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

i have a PIII 733.. is it enuf?I guess it's alright for now

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Yes. The P2B I mentioned above was "bare". The card helped the system speed in graphics. It is a P2-450 with 256 meg Crucial ram.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

ATI 8500¡¡worked very fine on my P2B

Of cource, it worked as AGP 2x