Sign in with
Your question

Cant access the 2nd hard drive in windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
October 29, 2012 2:48:45 AM

Hello,

I'm running the evaluation of Windows 8. After the installation, I can neither see nor have access to my 2nd hard drive anywhere in the windows 8 environment. Thank you for helping me out.

Regards,
Bellina Dawn
October 30, 2012 2:44:42 PM

I have the same question posted as I have the same problem. What motherboard are you using?
m
l
October 31, 2012 2:42:24 PM

Hi Bellina, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

There are several factors that can cause a secondary HDD not being recognized, but we need a little more info to pin it down.

What is the Make/Model# or your MB, does it have an EFI firmware BIOS, and exactly which SATA port # (and color) are each of your SATA/DVD devices connected to? Also was the secondary drive used previously as a system drive, and when you installed Win-8, did you have the secondary drive completely disconnected during the set up process. What is the make, model #, size of the secondary HDD?

Also with the secondary drive connected, please go into the BIOS, and see if the secondary drive is recognized. Also is the SATA configuration set up for AHCI, or IDE?

Then boot up and go to Disk Management, and upload a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box, so we can see exactly how the Win-8 OS sees these devices, Drives, SSD, DVD, Removable drives if any connected.

That way someone can give you the best advice to solve this problem.
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2012 8:19:27 PM

oh it may not be allocated. just right-click on computer>manage>disk management.. click on delete partition then just add new partition you wont lose any files it worked for me
m
l
January 13, 2013 2:37:51 PM

I do not see the delete partition option. Im running windows 8 and adding my old Hard drive to my new computer as extra storage and to gain access to my old files. I can see the main partition as my 1st drive is listed by I can not find any option that says delete partition. I see the OS (c:)  and Recovery (d:) . I right click on OS and it gives me option to change drive letters and paths or remove. What option should I choose? Plus I still do not see my 2nd hard drive anywhere.
m
l
February 1, 2013 6:56:51 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi Bellina, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

There are several factors that can cause a secondary HDD not being recognized, but we need a little more info to pin it down.

What is the Make/Model# or your MB, does it have an EFI firmware BIOS, and exactly which SATA port # (and color) are each of your SATA/DVD devices connected to? Also was the secondary drive used previously as a system drive, and when you installed Win-8, did you have the secondary drive completely disconnected during the set up process. What is the make, model #, size of the secondary HDD?

Also with the secondary drive connected, please go into the BIOS, and see if the secondary drive is recognized. Also is the SATA configuration set up for AHCI, or IDE?

Then boot up and go to Disk Management, and upload a screenshot of the Disk Management dialog box, so we can see exactly how the Win-8 OS sees these devices, Drives, SSD, DVD, Removable drives if any connected.

That way someone can give you the best advice to solve this problem.

I have a similar problem. I installed Win 8 Pro on a new WD 1TB without my older WD 1TB which has Win 7. I then reattached my older TB drive with Win 7 on it with the idea of a dual boot. I can dual boot using my MB boot menu. Both Win 7 and Win 8 boot, Win 7 can see the new TB HD with Win 8. Win 8 doesn't even ack Win 7 is attached. Device manager doesn't display it nor does disk management. Does this mean I needed to have both 1TB hard disks attached at setup? i5 3570K, 8GB RAM, GigaByte GA-Z77X-UD3H MB, Sapphire HD7770, 2 x 1TB WD Blue SATA 3 both connected to the white SATA ports. Win 8 Pro 64bit. Win 7 Ultimate
m
l
February 6, 2014 9:43:14 AM

k6-phillip said:
oh it may not be allocated. just right-click on computer>manage>disk management.. click on delete partition then just add new partition you wont lose any files it worked for me

To other users, until you are sure sure sure, PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT ACTION. If you have data in your hard disk and you follow that advice to "click on delete partition then just add new partition", you will lose ALL FILES. If you have disk is blank, with blank partitions, then deleting partition will be okay. Any other friends here? please comment about previous advice. I find that advice to be strange or only fit for blank hard drive only. Thanks in advance.
m
l
!