Backup query

At last I have got around to attempting to backup my files using BACKUP.
However, when I get to the "Backup Type, Destination and Name" page, I am
only given the option of backing up to Floppy Drive A. What I want to do is
backup to my spare 9 Gb Hard Drive (Drive F), which I don't use. However
I am not given the option, even in "Browse". I only want to use Drive F for
backup. How do I tell Backup that Drive F is available?

Allen
--
What is my signature? I've no idea what it means
4 answers Last reply

    Can you possibly put the backup in your documents, then transfer it to the
    hard drive you dont use?

    "Allen Hull" wrote:

    > At last I have got around to attempting to backup my files using BACKUP.
    > However, when I get to the "Backup Type, Destination and Name" page, I am
    > only given the option of backing up to Floppy Drive A. What I want to do is
    > backup to my spare 9 Gb Hard Drive (Drive F), which I don't use. However
    > I am not given the option, even in "Browse". I only want to use Drive F for
    > backup. How do I tell Backup that Drive F is available?
    >
    > Allen
    > --
    > What is my signature? I've no idea what it means

    No, I don't get offered that option. See the other reply I have received, and
    it now becomes clear why it won't work. Thanks for your interest. Much
    appreciated. Allen

    "Atrus" wrote:

    > Can you possibly put the backup in your documents, then transfer it to the
    > hard drive you dont use?
    >
    > "Allen Hull" wrote:
    >
    > > At last I have got around to attempting to backup my files using BACKUP.
    > > However, when I get to the "Backup Type, Destination and Name" page, I am
    > > only given the option of backing up to Floppy Drive A. What I want to do is
    > > backup to my spare 9 Gb Hard Drive (Drive F), which I don't use. However
    > > I am not given the option, even in "Browse". I only want to use Drive F for
    > > backup. How do I tell Backup that Drive F is available?
    > >
    > > Allen
    > > --
    > > What is my signature? I've no idea what it means

    I will have to save my standard response to this kind of query because I
    see it so often. One last time composing it from scratch:

    1. NTbackup is not a Windows XP Home image backup utility and will not
    work in that capacity. Even though Windows XP Home uses the NT kernel
    it is not the same. An XP Home volume cannot be restorably imaged by
    NTbackup.

    2. NTbackup was written specifically for Windows NT years before XP was
    thought of.

    3. NTbackup is useful as a file, directory, program/program group, or
    system state backup utility for XP Home--ONLY.

    4. NTbackup will not function in any other capacity for Windows XP Home.
    It is an imperfect accessory which is exactly why it wasn't included
    in the OEM installation when you took your computer out of the box in
    the first place--only as an add on from the CD. NTbackup.msi is
    available free anywhere--because it has become so woefully outdated.

    5. This utility is so ancient it has whiskers...Stop the insanity!

    6. Microsoft currently does not have an XP Home volume imaging tool it
    offers to the public--yet.

    7. The solution is to either wait for Bill Gates to provide the earth
    with a patched up version or buy (yes BUY!) the best backup imaging tool
    on the market. IT people all over the world have used this for years
    and it has become the ABSOLUTE fool proof standard in the professional
    IT industry: Norton Ghost.

    Many thanks indeed for this helpful information. Looks like Norton Ghost for
    me then!

    A.H.

    "daescgh" wrote:

    > I will have to save my standard response to this kind of query because I
    > see it so often. One last time composing it from scratch:
    >
    > 1. NTbackup is not a Windows XP Home image backup utility and will not
    > work in that capacity. Even though Windows XP Home uses the NT kernel
    > it is not the same. An XP Home volume cannot be restorably imaged by
    > NTbackup.
    >
    > 2. NTbackup was written specifically for Windows NT years before XP was
    > thought of.
    >
    > 3. NTbackup is useful as a file, directory, program/program group, or
    > system state backup utility for XP Home--ONLY.
    >
    > 4. NTbackup will not function in any other capacity for Windows XP Home.
    > It is an imperfect accessory which is exactly why it wasn't included
    > in the OEM installation when you took your computer out of the box in
    > the first place--only as an add on from the CD. NTbackup.msi is
    > available free anywhere--because it has become so woefully outdated.
    >
    > 5. This utility is so ancient it has whiskers...Stop the insanity!
    >
    > 6. Microsoft currently does not have an XP Home volume imaging tool it
    > offers to the public--yet.
    >
    > 7. The solution is to either wait for Bill Gates to provide the earth
    > with a patched up version or buy (yes BUY!) the best backup imaging tool
    > on the market. IT people all over the world have used this for years
    > and it has become the ABSOLUTE fool proof standard in the professional
    > IT industry: Norton Ghost.

Backup Microsoft Windows XP