Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Backup query

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 11:27:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

At last I have got around to attempting to backup my files using BACKUP.
However, when I get to the "Backup Type, Destination and Name" page, I am
only given the option of backing up to Floppy Drive A. What I want to do is
backup to my spare 9 Gb Hard Drive (Drive F), which I don't use. However
I am not given the option, even in "Browse". I only want to use Drive F for
backup. How do I tell Backup that Drive F is available?

Allen
--
What is my signature? I've no idea what it means

More about : backup query

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:47:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Can you possibly put the backup in your documents, then transfer it to the
hard drive you dont use?

"Allen Hull" wrote:

> At last I have got around to attempting to backup my files using BACKUP.
> However, when I get to the "Backup Type, Destination and Name" page, I am
> only given the option of backing up to Floppy Drive A. What I want to do is
> backup to my spare 9 Gb Hard Drive (Drive F), which I don't use. However
> I am not given the option, even in "Browse". I only want to use Drive F for
> backup. How do I tell Backup that Drive F is available?
>
> Allen
> --
> What is my signature? I've no idea what it means
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:13:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

No, I don't get offered that option. See the other reply I have received, and
it now becomes clear why it won't work. Thanks for your interest. Much
appreciated. Allen

"Atrus" wrote:

> Can you possibly put the backup in your documents, then transfer it to the
> hard drive you dont use?
>
> "Allen Hull" wrote:
>
> > At last I have got around to attempting to backup my files using BACKUP.
> > However, when I get to the "Backup Type, Destination and Name" page, I am
> > only given the option of backing up to Floppy Drive A. What I want to do is
> > backup to my spare 9 Gb Hard Drive (Drive F), which I don't use. However
> > I am not given the option, even in "Browse". I only want to use Drive F for
> > backup. How do I tell Backup that Drive F is available?
> >
> > Allen
> > --
> > What is my signature? I've no idea what it means
Related resources
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:26:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I will have to save my standard response to this kind of query because I
see it so often. One last time composing it from scratch:

1. NTbackup is not a Windows XP Home image backup utility and will not
work in that capacity. Even though Windows XP Home uses the NT kernel
it is not the same. An XP Home volume cannot be restorably imaged by
NTbackup.

2. NTbackup was written specifically for Windows NT years before XP was
thought of.

3. NTbackup is useful as a file, directory, program/program group, or
system state backup utility for XP Home--ONLY.

4. NTbackup will not function in any other capacity for Windows XP Home.
It is an imperfect accessory which is exactly why it wasn't included
in the OEM installation when you took your computer out of the box in
the first place--only as an add on from the CD. NTbackup.msi is
available free anywhere--because it has become so woefully outdated.

5. This utility is so ancient it has whiskers...Stop the insanity!

6. Microsoft currently does not have an XP Home volume imaging tool it
offers to the public--yet.

7. The solution is to either wait for Bill Gates to provide the earth
with a patched up version or buy (yes BUY!) the best backup imaging tool
on the market. IT people all over the world have used this for years
and it has become the ABSOLUTE fool proof standard in the professional
IT industry: Norton Ghost.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:26:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Many thanks indeed for this helpful information. Looks like Norton Ghost for
me then!

A.H.

"daescgh" wrote:

> I will have to save my standard response to this kind of query because I
> see it so often. One last time composing it from scratch:
>
> 1. NTbackup is not a Windows XP Home image backup utility and will not
> work in that capacity. Even though Windows XP Home uses the NT kernel
> it is not the same. An XP Home volume cannot be restorably imaged by
> NTbackup.
>
> 2. NTbackup was written specifically for Windows NT years before XP was
> thought of.
>
> 3. NTbackup is useful as a file, directory, program/program group, or
> system state backup utility for XP Home--ONLY.
>
> 4. NTbackup will not function in any other capacity for Windows XP Home.
> It is an imperfect accessory which is exactly why it wasn't included
> in the OEM installation when you took your computer out of the box in
> the first place--only as an add on from the CD. NTbackup.msi is
> available free anywhere--because it has become so woefully outdated.
>
> 5. This utility is so ancient it has whiskers...Stop the insanity!
>
> 6. Microsoft currently does not have an XP Home volume imaging tool it
> offers to the public--yet.
>
> 7. The solution is to either wait for Bill Gates to provide the earth
> with a patched up version or buy (yes BUY!) the best backup imaging tool
> on the market. IT people all over the world have used this for years
> and it has become the ABSOLUTE fool proof standard in the professional
> IT industry: Norton Ghost.
>
!