BIOS/CPU help!

G

Hey there, have a huge problem. About a year ago I replaced the motherboard, cpu, and graphics card on my comp that I built myself, had no problems. Recently, my power supply went out so I decided to replace that with a 400 watt ATX supply, a new 30 GB HD, and new cpu fan. Well I installed everything and now I cannot get the BIOS to even boot!

I tried reconnecting everything to no avail. Everything except the CPU starts up. The CPU fan doesn't start either and I have the 4 LED lights that show the progression of the boot up and none of them even turn green, they stay red. any suggestions?

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Not 100% sure here.

If you had a second PSU of course you could eliminate that.

Can you get a multimeter to check if there is juice comming out to the cpu fan ?

Danny

G

Well when I first started it up the fan would work and the computer would partially boot, I yanked out the cpu, checked all the connections, and now the bios doesn't boot at all.

And I have no idea what a multimeter is hehe.

G

Ok I just connected the cpu fan to another fan slot and it works now... but the LED still aren't going through the boot sequence.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
You seem to be on the right track with the connections !
Recheck them, especially the fan, and make sure the cpu is properly set in it's socket.
I would not try booting for long if the fan does not turn.
That would be asking for trouble i think.

Not sure what else for now....

Danny

Chrispix272

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2001
Is it an AMD or an Intel? If it is an AMD there maybe a chance you accidentaly chiped a corner of the chip while removing / installing the heatsink.

"Hear me now, listen to me later".

G

It's an AMD athlon 733... and chipping the cpu sounds bad heh..

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
You mentioned your power supply went out. How did you determine this and do you think it might have damaged your motherboard?

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

The power supply would make a very weird noise and the computer would freeze every time I turned it on. And each time I turned it on the time it stayed on shortened every time, sorta like it was a heat problem... am I screwed? heh

G

Does anyone know of any sites that might be able to provide me with more info about this? I'm beginning to think the mobo is fried, and if so any suggestions for a new/cheap one?