aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I have 28 meg cable internet with a brand new modem and I still get lag so bad when I play Starcraft II nexus wars that it even messes with my sound. Every so often I get an electronic sound over my voice chat or game sounds like it's majorly stressing my system when it shouldn't be. I have a OVERCLOCK up to 3.7 ghz AMD 1055T gaming pv that was guarneteed to be able to run pretty much any game and not have issues. I have never activated the fine tuning for the ASUS fine tuning thingy cus I wasn't completely sure what overclocking would do or how to undo it if it messed stuff up. It's funny cus it seemed like my pc ran better when it was hotter than it does now that it's cooler. I just updated all of my drivers and still get bad lag on Starcraft. It doesn't matter if I shut down other programs and run just my voice chat and that or if I have 2 windows of FFXI open..it still reacts the same. Any ideas what I should do to fix it?

DM186

Splendid
Is your Modem a cable modem? If yes is it wireless? What kind of GPU are you using? What size is your PSU and brand? I believe that Starcraft II uses more GPU than CPU. But the noise on head phone plus the lag in the game. That is why I am asking the questions above. I have a weird way of troubleshootshooting. Also are you overclocking because in one sentence you said you are and the fine tuning and not sure about overclocking or how to undo it. Are you watching your temps? and what are they?

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I am a total noob when it comes to overclocking or what is what inside a pc..I kind of understand the extreme basics..I have never activated the fine tuning thing for the overclock so as far as I know unless the guy that built it activated the overclock it has never been done. And I have no clue how to find out temps..pretty much when it comes to the mechanics of a pc I am braindead. When I play I don't experience any lag on the voice chats I run..it only has issues when the screen get really congested with hundreds of units active in the battle. I'm not sure if you're familiar with nexus wars but that seems to be the only time i have issues with the really bad lag and that noise only seems to happen when the lag is really bad. Whether I have 2 screens of FFXI running in the background or not I get the same issue. My modem hooks direct to my tower with an ethernet cable. No router, I have 28meg cable. I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 series GPU. I am contacting the person that built it to get the info on the PSU. When I bought it he said it would run high end graphics without issue because it was built to be a gaming pc. It sounds strange to say but it seemed like my pc ran better when the weather was hot. The lag seemed to really start once the weather cooled way down and my tower wasn't running hot anymore.

Nugless

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
"it only has issues when the screen get really congested with hundreds of units active in the battle."

This makes me think that you are just stressing your system too much mate, with RTS when every the PC has to handle 100/1000's of units it really kills the CPU and RAM.

This basically reminds me of playing the first SUPCOM or old Total Anhillation where too much stuff just kills game speed to like 1 sec game time = 1 min real time.

If this is your problem not 100% sure but that'd be my current best guess, then you should look into a yanking down all model and unit settings to min or even just all graphics settings, this way you get more acceptable FPS, if you are planning a big game. Otherwise you'll need a new cpu or more ram. thought how noticable the differnence is i can't say.

get http://www.hwinfo.com/ 32 or 64 depending on your system

when opening it up, check the box that says sensors only and hit run.

it will show you the temperatures and the loads on your hardware. minimize all, play a game or two where you get to lagging and then alt tab out and check the following

maximums
CPU temp
GPU temp
CPU load
GPU core load

as far as I know SC2 can be very CPU intensive, also, it would help if you can find out from "the guy" if the machine is over clocked or not.

also, it would help if you mention what settings you're running the game on, since I doubt your cpu can handle ulta @ 1080p

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

I have all the setting at their lowest. I never used to get lag that bad..it's just been recently but I haven't put any other major games on my pc other than FFXI or the Warcraft Battlechest which I've never even played yet. I'll go try that thing you told me about and get back to you with my readings^^ tyvm for the help

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

I downloaded that program and what should I look for as far as trouble I might see? I will get a SS of it the next time I am playing and I get bad lag and post it for you to see. I am very grateful for your help. tyvm

if you see high temps (above 85) or hardware topping out 100% load for significant amount of time that could indicate a bottleneck or overheating issue. as far as time part, you can set it to store data into a file then open it up inexcel and construct a graph yourself to check.

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

I ran that program and this is what it told me. The temps looked quite a bit higher than what you said they should be so could that mean that the overclock is active? I've never ran the ASUS fine tuning feature that came with it and was curious if that might help. I've avoided playing that game for now and I really miss it. If you think it would be a good idea since I don't really know what I am doing should I call a tech to come look at it?

readings.jpg

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

This was just while I was running google chrome, ventrillo, an aim voice chat and 1 window of ffxi.
Here's the temps in celcius.
cel.jpg

ok, so I need you to run the game that lags while that monitoring program is running and see what the max temperatures end up then.

ffxi is a pretty old game so your card shouldn't have any trouble handling that and your results reflect that so far.

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

I'll try doing that tonight and let you know what it says..Also I lost connection today and it said I had a faulty ethernet cable..I changed it out with a new one and now it works fine. My question is this... I was even getting FPS lag on FFXI lately it was dropping from 29.4 down to like 10 FPS..which is definitely not normal. I've noticed since I changed the cable I am not seeing the drop in FPS anymore..could that have been the cause? I feel like such an idiot but I'll never learn if I don't ask^^

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

I ran the program while I was playing Starcraft II and it told me "Your PC is slowing down the game, closing other applications may help improve performance" I lagged a bit and checked the readings while it was lagging and saw no jumps in temperatures. Is there anything else I should look for?

if running 1 extra process is giving you that message you're looking at a cpu bottleneck, but without utilization % I don't know for sure. as far as jumps in temperature, you won't see it as a jump, once you reach certain temp the hardware will throttle back the performance in order to cool down if your cooling system isn't enough, which in turn can cause the lag. Because of that you're looking for max temp the hardware reaches, not the jumps (and you wouldn't see jumps anyway since that program doesn't make graphs for you)

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
ok I was watching the temps as I was playing and it never went higher than normal. I get that message whether I am running another game or not. It did the lag still which I guess is normal cus everyone playing was having the same lag problem. But it didn't make that noise this time that made me feel like it was stressing the system. Sometimes when it starts to lag it seems to kinda lull out for a min then starts running smoother when the others are still getting lag. Kinda like when a car transmission is winding out and you drop into a different gear then it runs smoother. LOL I don't know computers but can relate it to automotives.>.< I can find the ultilization % for you..is it on that sensor reading program as well? Thank you for being so patient with me..I know it's gotta be frustrating like trying to explain nuclear science to a tow truck driver.

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

if you can tell me where to find the utilization %'s that you need I'll find them asap and get back to you..oh yeah..lol am not a guy >.< am an irl girl..lol

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

I thought I had saved the reading while i was getting bad lag but for some reason it was blank. i do remember however that the utilization was at 100% max. I'll try again next tonight when we play.

aiyame696

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
tryagain.jpg

I got this one done tonight while it was lagging on the game again. Nothing else was lagging but the game itself..except there for a bit it seemed to make my sound go funny again for a min. If I need to redo it just let me know^^

Hello, well looking at that screen shot you got two problems. Your GPU is topping out at 100% (well 99.7% but that's a 100). probably cannot deal with that many units at the same time, to deal with this I can advise to lower the resolution you're running at or lower the graphics detail of the game.

Another problem is that it seems your CPU is getting too hot and might be throttling down the power consumption to prevent overheating.
(see AMD 10h+ CPU Thermal Sensor: max 94.5 that's almost 95 which is right around the border where throttling starts to occur. also your motherboard lower reporting CPU temp max at 102C, that's def too hot) Basically if the problem gets worse you'll start having computer shutdown to prevent overheating.

It's hard to say which one of the two problems is having the most effect on the lag that you experience. Easiest way to find out I'd say turn down the graphics settings in game, so your GPU doesn't top out to 100% and see if CPU temperature is still a factor. Once you figure that out you might look for GPU upgrade or better cooling solution for your CPU or an all toghether CPU upgrade.

As a precautionary measure I'd make sure that there's no dust blocking vents/heat sinks inside your case.