Slow when right clicking

I just got a Compaq Presario 2.53 Celeron, 248 Meg RAM, 40 GB hard drive.
When i right click within a folder, it takes from 5-7 seconds for the menu to
pop up. I also noticed that according to the CPU perfomance in the task
manager that the CPU usage jumps to 100% right as the menu opens and stays at
100% until I close out the menu. Repeating this does not speed up the
process. Do I need more memory and why does the processor work so hard ?

Many third-party applications add extra options to the context (right-click)
menu.
And some of them do not perform very well. Not sure if that’s your case ...

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:

Right click causes and error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing Windows XP SP2?:
http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User