Sign in with
Your question

Last response: in Windows 7
October 2, 2010 8:17:00 PM

so my new laptop has security measures on it that prevent me from doing things.
i got it from the it department and they configured it.

i can only seem to log in to the school's domain. how do i log in locally (NOT a domain)?

all i get is this message:
"there are currently no logon servers to service your login request"

thanks in advance!

More about : log domain

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2010 8:36:27 PM

You'd need a local user defined, which the IT department may not have done. Surely it would be easiest to ask them - they know how the computer is configured.
m
l
October 2, 2010 9:01:30 PM

yeah. I just didn't want to wait till monday :\
m
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 2, 2010 9:24:20 PM

If you've ever logged onto the laptop while it was connected to the domain then you *should* be able to log onto it at home using the same domain account and password. The system caches the logon credentials and allows you to use them even when not connected to the domain.

This assumes that the IT department hasn't prohibited this, but one assumes that if they did then they would have also given you a local account name and password to use.
m
l
October 2, 2010 9:40:32 PM

I can log in but it has very limited functionality. it won't even mount an external harddrive.

sminlal said:
If you've ever logged onto the laptop while it was connected to the domain then you *should* be able to log onto it at home using the same domain account and password. The system caches the logon credentials and allows you to use them even when not connected to the domain.

This assumes that the IT department hasn't prohibited this, but one assumes that if they did then they would have also given you a local account name and password to use.

m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 2, 2010 11:30:54 PM

pixeltarian said:
I can log in but it has very limited functionality. it won't even mount an external harddrive.
Sounds like the IT guys have applied group policies to limit what you can do with the machine. A big concern in the IT world is people taking work computers home with them, getting them infected with viruses, and then bringing them back and spreading them on the corporate or campus network.

You can talk to your IT staff about this, but if the computer was provided to you as a work tool then you may have to just live with it.
m
l
!