Sign in with
Your question

Need help please...

Last response: in Video Games
November 28, 2011 7:02:58 AM

I have a problem that I've been searching everywhere I can but have not been able to figure it out. I in the last few months upgraded my pc from xp to vista so that I can play bf 3 and other newer games coming up. I didn't goto 7 because of my video card not being compatible. when I upgraded everything ran fine until I ran into this problem. when click on to play COD Black OPs I get to the game menu then all of a sudden it shuts off. I don't know why but this shutdown only happens after I played it initially. See when I turn the computer back on it says something about the game and if I wanted to put the default setting in. if I say no it'll goto the game then shutdown again. if I say no it goes to the game and I put in my settings and I'm playing. When I get out of the game I have that same problem again. I though it was a COD issue untill I played the beta for star wars old republic this weekend. it installed and played fine but when I left the game and went back later I had that same shutoff issue. I check the temps and according to my video card the video card is not running hot nor is the rest of the system and keep in mind it only happens when I leave and go back to those game later, it plays fine initially. Can anyone help me please? here's my specs below. thanks for your help in advance....just wanted to add what I've done so far, I reinstalled both games I was having a problem with and they worked until I left and attempted to play them again. I tried the latest and probably the last 2 ati drivers but no luck. thanks again.

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775
intel core 2 extreme edition q6850 quad core running at 3.0ghz
4gigs patriot ram
Sapphire ATI 4850HD video card 512MB
coolmax 700W PS
running vista 32bit
if it matters I'm running avg internet security 2011
if I left anything else needed let me know.

More about : question

November 28, 2011 8:00:26 AM

Do the games crash or does your entire system shut down?

Also, your video card will work just fine in Windows 7. Why do you believe it isn't compatible?
m
l
November 28, 2011 3:09:08 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Do the games crash or does your entire system shut down?

Also, your video card will work just fine in Windows 7. Why do you believe it isn't compatible?

the whole system just turns off. like both games have a loading screen I'll see that for a few seconds and then the computers is just off all of a sudden. no windows shutting down or anything just immediately off. I tried installing 7 before and after the install ran into a BSOD, don't remember what it was then after researching my video card a few days ago i've seen quite a few, this card won't work with windows 7 so just going on those assumptions and my experience in trying to install it.
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2011 6:04:25 PM

Many older cards work just fine in Windows 7, so I'm puzzled as to why the 4850 would be a problem. Agree with oldmangamer, bad PSU is a likely possibility.
m
l
November 28, 2011 6:11:58 PM

thanks for the input guys I'll check that out.
m
l
November 28, 2011 6:14:30 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Many older cards work just fine in Windows 7, so I'm puzzled as to why the 4850 would be a problem. Agree with oldmangamer, bad PSU is a likely possibility.

yeah I got some blue screen that occured during the reboot process after the initial install, I don't remember the error code on that blue screen. I just gave up after having too many blue screen and went back to vista cause this is my main computer for my school work. so when the semesters over in the next few weeks I'll fiddle with installing 7 again. but thanks for the info.
m
l
!