how do I replace corrupt or missing files in xp?

Hi,everybody can anyone tell me how to replace corrupt or missing files
in xp.I liked the file restore utility in win 98 but cannot seem to
find similar in xp.My thanks in advance for any help I may
receive.Regards pcfanatic2.

--
pcfanatic2
6 answers Last reply

    Assuming that you have an XP CD (not the vendor recovery kind) and it is
    placed into the drive, go to START - RUN and type the following line

    sfc /scannow

    Please note that there is always a space between the command and the
    switch..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    "pcfanatic2" <pcfanatic2.1iv0dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hi,everybody can anyone tell me how to replace corrupt or missing files
    > in xp.I liked the file restore utility in win 98 but cannot seem to
    > find similar in xp.My thanks in advance for any help I may
    > receive.Regards pcfanatic2.
    >

    > --
    > pcfanatic2

    Depends. Many times when you receive that error message it means that you
    have a virus or spyware. Exactly what files are 'corrupt or missing'?
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "pcfanatic2" <pcfanatic2.1iv0dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hi,everybody can anyone tell me how to replace corrupt or missing files
    > in xp.I liked the file restore utility in win 98 but cannot seem to
    > find similar in xp.My thanks in advance for any help I may
    > receive.Regards pcfanatic2.
    >

    > --
    > pcfanatic2

    Hi

    From Start>Run type the following

    sfc /scannow

    Please have your XP CD to hand.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "pcfanatic2" <pcfanatic2.1iv0dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hi,everybody can anyone tell me how to replace corrupt or missing files
    > in xp.I liked the file restore utility in win 98 but cannot seem to
    > find similar in xp.My thanks in advance for any help I may
    > receive.Regards pcfanatic2.
    >

    > --
    > pcfanatic2

    What does one do if you don't have an XP CD? Don't remember ever seeing one
    when I got my HP a few years ago.

    "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Assuming that you have an XP CD (not the vendor recovery kind) and it is
    > placed into the drive, go to START - RUN and type the following line
    >
    > sfc /scannow
    >
    > Please note that there is always a space between the command and the
    > switch..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >

    > "pcfanatic2" <pcfanatic2.1iv0dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi,everybody can anyone tell me how to replace corrupt or missing files
    > > in xp.I liked the file restore utility in win 98 but cannot seem to
    > > find similar in xp.My thanks in advance for any help I may
    > > receive.Regards pcfanatic2.
    > >

    > > --
    > > pcfanatic2

    i have some missing and/or corrupt files also. but when i do the run thing
    and i put my xp cd in it says it isnt the right cd >.< is there another way i
    can do this?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > From Start>Run type the following
    >
    > sfc /scannow
    >
    > Please have your XP CD to hand.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "pcfanatic2" <pcfanatic2.1iv0dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hi,everybody can anyone tell me how to replace corrupt or missing files
    > > in xp.I liked the file restore utility in win 98 but cannot seem to
    > > find similar in xp.My thanks in advance for any help I may
    > > receive.Regards pcfanatic2.
    > >

    > > --
    > > pcfanatic2

    Hi

    Open Windows Explorer and search for a folder named i386. Try pointing to
    that when asked for the XP CD.

    --

    "White Lotus" <White Lotus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have some missing and/or corrupt files also. but when i do the run thing
    > and i put my xp cd in it says it isnt the right cd >.< is there another
    > way i
    > can do this?
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> From Start>Run type the following
    >>
    >> sfc /scannow
    >>
    >> Please have your XP CD to hand.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "pcfanatic2" <pcfanatic2.1iv0dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Hi,everybody can anyone tell me how to replace corrupt or missing files
    >> > in xp.I liked the file restore utility in win 98 but cannot seem to
    >> > find similar in xp.My thanks in advance for any help I may
    >> > receive.Regards pcfanatic2.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > pcfanatic2

Microsoft Windows XP