CDR-W Won't Burn

I have XP, SP2 and a new Sony CDR/RW Model CRX230AD. I got a new burner
because the old one wouldn't burn CD's (reads them, though). Imagine how
disapointed I was to find out the new one wouldn't burn CD's either. I then
downloaded Nero ver 6.6 and that doesn't work either! I notice from other
posts that others have had this problem w/XP, SP2.

I need help.

Check the properties of the CD Burner drive and click on the recording tab. If the
check mark to enable recording is checked, uncheck it and hit apply and then recheck
it and hit apply. If that doesn’t work see:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316529
CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device.

"rwacheson" <rwacheson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP, SP2 and a new Sony CDR/RW Model CRX230AD. I got a new burner
> because the old one wouldn't burn CD's (reads them, though). Imagine how
> disapointed I was to find out the new one wouldn't burn CD's either. I then
> downloaded Nero ver 6.6 and that doesn't work either! I notice from other
> posts that others have had this problem w/XP, SP2.
>
> I need help.

Thanks for your prompt response, Did both the suggested, but neither
procedure fixed my problem.. XP had always recognized the device as
recordable, but I did as you suggested with no change. I then went into the
system registry and saw that the drive was identified as a "1" (which means
CDR?). I changed that to a "2" (which means CAR-W?). That procedure did not
work, either. I have also replaced the cable to the CD drives (I have 2, the
CDR-W, and a CD-ROM) with a new one. Any other suggestions?

"Taurarian" wrote:

> Check the properties of the CD Burner drive and click on the recording tab. If the
> check mark to enable recording is checked, uncheck it and hit apply and then recheck
> it and hit apply. If that doesn’t work see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316529
> CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device.
>

> "rwacheson" <rwacheson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have XP, SP2 and a new Sony CDR/RW Model CRX230AD. I got a new burner
> > because the old one wouldn't burn CD's (reads them, though). Imagine how
> > disapointed I was to find out the new one wouldn't burn CD's either. I then
> > downloaded Nero ver 6.6 and that doesn't work either! I notice from other
> > posts that others have had this problem w/XP, SP2.
> >
> > I need help.

No other suggestions. Keep searching or perhaps post of the Hardware NG.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Kaylene

> Thanks for your prompt response, Did both the suggested, but neither
> procedure fixed my problem.. XP had always recognized the device as
> recordable, but I did as you suggested with no change. I then went into the
> system registry and saw that the drive was identified as a "1" (which means
> CDR?). I changed that to a "2" (which means CAR-W?). That procedure did not
> work, either. I have also replaced the cable to the CD drives (I have 2, the
> CDR-W, and a CD-ROM) with a new one. Any other suggestions?
>
> "Taurarian" wrote:
>
>> Check the properties of the CD Burner drive and click on the recording tab. If the
>> check mark to enable recording is checked, uncheck it and hit apply and then
>> recheck
>> it and hit apply. If that doesn’t work see:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316529
>> CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device.
>>

>> "rwacheson" <rwacheson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have XP, SP2 and a new Sony CDR/RW Model CRX230AD. I got a new burner
>> > because the old one wouldn't burn CD's (reads them, though). Imagine how
>> > disapointed I was to find out the new one wouldn't burn CD's either. I then
>> > downloaded Nero ver 6.6 and that doesn't work either! I notice from other
>> > posts that others have had this problem w/XP, SP2.
>> >
>> > I need help.

Try running the Nero Info Tool from the Nero toolkit folder in the startmenu
or download it from Nero.com and check under the ASPI tab to see if it
reports your ASPI installation is ok. There is a drop down box so you can
see both the Nero ASPI and the system ASPI. If the system ASPI is shown to
be corrupt or not present do a web search for "ForceASPI version 4.60" and
try that. It worked for me.