Need graphics card for old computer

Jan

My son has an old computer, a Compaq Presario 4716. We are going to upgrade
the memory and also need to upgrade for the games he plays. I have read that
many have problems with new cards with this particular model, or updating
old Compaq computers in general. Can someone point me in the right direction
on a graphics card?

Thanks much.

hh

The 4716 only has PCI and IA slots, so an AGP video card will not work, only
PCI. I would suggest something like a basic ATI Radeon PCI video card. Try
here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
HH

"Jan" <jans@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My son has an old computer, a Compaq Presario 4716. We are going to
upgrade
> the memory and also need to upgrade for the games he plays. I have read
that
> many have problems with new cards with this particular model, or updating
> old Compaq computers in general. Can someone point me in the right
direction
> on a graphics card?
>
> Thanks much.

Jan

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
The 4716 only has PCI and IA slots, so an AGP video card will not work, only
PCI. I would suggest something like a basic ATI Radeon PCI video card. Try
here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
HH

Thank you very much, I appreciate the info.

Jan

"Jan" <jans@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My son has an old computer, a Compaq Presario 4716. We are going to
upgrade
> the memory and also need to upgrade for the games he plays. I have read
that
> many have problems with new cards with this particular model, or updating
> old Compaq computers in general. Can someone point me in the right
direction
> on a graphics card?
>
> Thanks much.

dos

Also....the processor will play a key role in any of the modern
games........

> "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The 4716 only has PCI and IA slots, so an AGP video card will not work,
only
> PCI. I would suggest something like a basic ATI Radeon PCI video card. Try
> here:
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
> HH
>

> Thank you very much, I appreciate the info.
>
> Jan
>

> "Jan" <jans@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > My son has an old computer, a Compaq Presario 4716. We are going to
> upgrade
> > the memory and also need to upgrade for the games he plays. I have read
> that
> > many have problems with new cards with this particular model, or
updating
> > old Compaq computers in general. Can someone point me in the right
> direction
> > on a graphics card?
> >
> > Thanks much.

hh

Uh, make that PCI and ISA slots.....duh.....
HH