newbe question: I know wireless is slower but......

Hi,
I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ model
ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower than without
it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable to the
router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what they are if
I directly connect it to my cable modem.

I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit much. But
as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am I being too
demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying to debug?
12 answers Last reply
More about newbe question wireless slower

    Bob Stanish wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ
    > model ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower
    > than without it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired
    > Ethernet cable to the router, is experiencing network speeds that are
    > only 1/4 of what they are if I directly connect it to my cable modem.
    >
    > I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit
    > much. But as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my
    > expectations? Am I being too demanding or is there something wrong
    > that I should be trying to debug?

    There's definately something wrong... Shouldn't effect performance more than
    maybe 5-10%...

    Bob Stanish wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ model
    >ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower than without
    >it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable to the
    >router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what they are if
    >I directly connect it to my cable modem.
    >
    > I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit much. But
    >as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am I being too
    >demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying to debug?

    Wireless is certainly slower than most networks, but much faster than
    DSL or cable speeds. You shouldn't notice any slowdown using Wireless to
    access the Internet, but will transfer files, etc. accross your local
    network slower.

    Check to see if you are having connection problems, interference, etc.

    I'm a newbie.
    I just hooked up a wireless router and noticed an annoying lag when opening
    web pages.

    The salesman, where I bought the router, had told me to plug the router
    directly into my existing firewall. When I learned that the router itself
    was a firewall, I removed my old router and the lag disappeared.

    Could that be your problem??

    "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
    > Bob Stanish wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an
    INEXQ model
    > >ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower than
    without
    > >it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable to
    the
    > >router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what
    they are if
    > >I directly connect it to my cable modem.
    > >
    > > I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit
    much. But
    > >as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am I
    being too
    > >demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying to
    debug?

    Using DSL, you probably need to adjust the MTU (maximum transmission
    unit). If it is incorrect for PPPoE (DSL)
    you will have alot of re-transmission and slow things down. Typically
    PPPoE dsl is set to 1492. You can check it and adjust it
    using DrTCP http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp . 1492 isnt set in
    concrete. You may ask your service provider what is the
    proper MTU to use.

    "Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message

    > "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
    > > Bob Stanish wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi,
    > > >I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an
    > INEXQ model
    > > >ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower
    than
    > without
    > > >it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable
    > the
    > > >router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what
    > they are if
    > > >I directly connect it to my cable modem.
    > > >
    > > > I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit
    > much. But
    > > >as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am
    > being too
    > > >demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying to
    > debug?
    >
    > Using DSL, you probably need to adjust the MTU (maximum transmission
    > unit). If it is incorrect for PPPoE (DSL)
    > you will have alot of re-transmission and slow things down.
    Typically
    > PPPoE dsl is set to 1492. You can check it and adjust it
    > using DrTCP http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp . 1492 isnt set in
    > concrete. You may ask your service provider what is the
    > proper MTU to use.

    PS. Your router may have an option to set the MTU on it. If so
    try this first.

    > > Wireless is certainly slower than most networks, but much faster
    > than
    > > DSL or cable speeds. You shouldn't notice any slowdown using
    > Wireless to
    > > access the Internet, but will transfer files, etc. accross your
    > local
    > > network slower.
    > >
    > > Check to see if you are having connection problems, interference,
    > etc.

    I've never had DSL, but I've had cable internet access for years and
    I've used several routers of varying brands. Still, I have never
    noticed any noticeable lag in speed due to those routers. Then again,
    I'm a tinkerer. I play with all of settings just to see what they do
    and how they affect performance. Having said that, it is my
    recommendation that you read the manual and learn what each setting
    does. Questions: Are you noticing a lag in speed wirelessly? If so,
    what about from a computer that is connected directly to the router via
    ethernet cable? Is it lagging, too. Do you have a PPPoe connection
    and if so, did you check the PPPoe setting in the router's menu? What
    OS are you using? Let us know so that we can best provide you with the
    pertinent answers you seek.

    --
    doug Jamal

    Thanks Peter, I guessed that this was abnormal, but needed confirmation.
    Now that I know I've got a problem, I can at least start to take measures to
    understand how to fix it.

    Defining the problem is 75% of the way to correcting it.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Bob Stanish wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ
    >> model ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower
    >> than without it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired
    >> Ethernet cable to the router, is experiencing network speeds that are
    >> only 1/4 of what they are if I directly connect it to my cable modem.
    >>
    >> I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit
    >> much. But as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my
    >> expectations? Am I being too demanding or is there something wrong
    >> that I should be trying to debug?
    >
    > There's definately something wrong... Shouldn't effect performance more
    > than maybe 5-10%...

    Doug,
    I'm running Win XP with the latest service pack(SP3) and am connected to
    DSL. As I identified in my earlier post, I tested the speed directly
    (bypassing the wireless router) and through the router, both times directly
    connected (to eliminate any potential transmission/interference issues) and
    came up with this throughput discrepancy. About the only explanation I can
    come up with is my wireless router introducing a lag.
    I checked my router settings and I'm running dynamic IP addressing vs PPPoe.
    Could that be the reason I've got a performance problem? The connections
    all work...they're just very slow.

    ..
    "doug Jamal" <doug.Jamal.1icnga@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message

    > I've never had DSL, but I've had cable internet access for years and
    > I've used several routers of varying brands. Still, I have never
    > noticed any noticeable lag in speed due to those routers. Then again,
    > I'm a tinkerer. I play with all of settings just to see what they do
    > and how they affect performance. Having said that, it is my
    > recommendation that you read the manual and learn what each setting
    > does. Questions: Are you noticing a lag in speed wirelessly? If so,
    > what about from a computer that is connected directly to the router via
    > ethernet cable? Is it lagging, too. Do you have a PPPoe connection
    > and if so, did you check the PPPoe setting in the router's menu? What
    > OS are you using? Let us know so that we can best provide you with the
    > pertinent answers you seek.
    >

    > --
    > doug Jamal
    > brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/

    Thanks Ken,
    but I thought of that and turned off the firewall feature ( and other
    filtering aspects) from the router. I've already got a robust firewall
    program on my workstations and the router version was redundant.
    Unfortunately it didn't help. Another poster is suggesting that perhaps
    I've got the the router incorrectly configured. I'm running dynamic IP
    addressing (since I've got several possible laptops that could connect...got
    kids...you know.....), vs. PPPoe. I'm not yet sure of the implications of
    changing since I have not yet read up on the differences in the settings.
    Gotta read up on that....perhaps that's my problem????

    "Ken Morano" <moranoSPAMKILLER@gte.net> wrote in message
    > I'm a newbie.
    > I just hooked up a wireless router and noticed an annoying lag when
    > opening web pages.
    >
    > The salesman, where I bought the router, had told me to plug the router
    > directly into my existing firewall. When I learned that the router itself
    > was a firewall, I removed my old router and the lag disappeared.
    >
    > Could that be your problem??
    >

    > "Bob Stanish" <rstanish@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ
    >> model ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower than
    >> without it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable
    >> to the router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what
    >> they are if I directly connect it to my cable modem.
    >>
    >> I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit much.
    >> But as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am I
    >> being too demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying
    >> to debug?

    That actually ties right into what I was gonna mention.. There are certain
    software firewalls - running on the workstations, that directly conflict
    with the wap/router and may be causing things to slow way way down.
    Try to temporarily turn off the SOFTWARE firewall. (notice the word
    *temporarily*... just turn it off to try it, and see if that may be your
    problem)

    PS.. what OS are you running? If xp sp2 there is a firewall in that also...
    Two software firewalls could cause problems.

    Bob Stanish wrote:
    > Doug,
    > I'm running Win XP with the latest service pack(SP3) and am connected to
    > DSL. As I identified in my earlier post, I tested the speed directly
    > (bypassing the wireless router) and through the router, both times directly
    > connected (to eliminate any potential transmission/interference issues) and
    > came up with this throughput discrepancy. About the only explanation I can
    > come up with is my wireless router introducing a lag.
    > I checked my router settings and I'm running dynamic IP addressing vs PPPoe.
    > Could that be the reason I've got a performance problem? The connections
    > all work...they're just very slow.
    >
    > ..
    > "doug Jamal" <doug.Jamal.1icnga@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've never had DSL, but I've had cable internet access for years and
    >>I've used several routers of varying brands. Still, I have never
    >>noticed any noticeable lag in speed due to those routers. Then again,
    >>I'm a tinkerer. I play with all of settings just to see what they do
    >>and how they affect performance. Having said that, it is my
    >>recommendation that you read the manual and learn what each setting
    >>does. Questions: Are you noticing a lag in speed wirelessly? If so,
    >>what about from a computer that is connected directly to the router via
    >>ethernet cable? Is it lagging, too. Do you have a PPPoe connection
    >>and if so, did you check the PPPoe setting in the router's menu? What
    >>OS are you using? Let us know so that we can best provide you with the
    >>pertinent answers you seek.
    >>

    >>--
    >>doug Jamal
    >>brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/

    Bob, it is my understanding that most DSL subscribers have a PPPoe
    connection, especially those who logon prior to gaining access to the
    internet. Clicking the PPPoe section in the router's menu will provide
    you with a place to type in your DSL username and password so that you
    wouldn't have to everytime you wanted to surf the web. Now that I'm
    thinking about it, I can't see how that would cause a degradation in
    speed especially when connected directly via an ethernet cable. Try
    resetting the router to its default settings and see if the lag
    continues. If so, exchange the router for another one or purchase a
    different brand such as the D-Link DI-624. Let us know what happen.

    My apologies for wasting everyone's time on this newsgroup. I finally got
    some time today to test the router and I think I now know what the problem
    was. I had not rebooted the router for months (no reason to), but once I
    did the speed went dramatically up (from 45kb over 220kb). I still don't
    fully understand why, but am now starting to guess that there must be
    buffers,etc. that are not getting released and as they slowly get filled up,
    my router slows down.

    Looks like I've wasted everyone's time here. All I had to do was reboot.
    ......sometimes it's the simplest things that get you.

    I understand my bypass doesn't solve the root cause, but it's a minor
    annoyance to reboot every once in a while.

    "Bob Stanish" <rstanish@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ
    > model ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower than
    > without it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable
    > to the router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what
    > they are if I directly connect it to my cable modem.
    >
    > I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit much.
    > But as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am I
    > being too demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying to
    > debug?

Wireless Wireless Router Wireless Networking