newbe question: I know wireless is slower but......

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
January 4, 2005 10:16:17 PM

Hi,
I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ model
ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower than without
it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable to the
router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what they are if
I directly connect it to my cable modem.

I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit much. But
as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am I being too
demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying to debug?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 4, 2005 10:16:18 PM

Bob Stanish wrote:
> Hi,
> I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ
> model ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower
> than without it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired
> Ethernet cable to the router, is experiencing network speeds that are
> only 1/4 of what they are if I directly connect it to my cable modem.
>
> I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit
> much. But as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my
> expectations? Am I being too demanding or is there something wrong
> that I should be trying to debug?

There's definately something wrong... Shouldn't effect performance more than
maybe 5-10%...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 4, 2005 10:16:18 PM

Bob Stanish wrote:

>Hi,
>I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ model
>ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower than without
>it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable to the
>router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what they are if
>I directly connect it to my cable modem.
>
> I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit much. But
>as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am I being too
>demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying to debug?

Wireless is certainly slower than most networks, but much faster than
DSL or cable speeds. You shouldn't notice any slowdown using Wireless to
access the Internet, but will transfer files, etc. accross your local
network slower.

Check to see if you are having connection problems, interference, etc.
a b F Wireless
January 4, 2005 10:16:18 PM

I'm a newbie.
I just hooked up a wireless router and noticed an annoying lag when opening
web pages.

The salesman, where I bought the router, had told me to plug the router
directly into my existing firewall. When I learned that the router itself
was a firewall, I removed my old router and the lag disappeared.

Could that be your problem??

"Bob Stanish" <rstanish@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ
> model ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower than
> without it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable
> to the router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what
> they are if I directly connect it to my cable modem.
>
> I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit much.
> But as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am I
> being too demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying to
> debug?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 4, 2005 10:16:19 PM

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> Bob Stanish wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an
INEXQ model
> >ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower than
without
> >it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable to
the
> >router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what
they are if
> >I directly connect it to my cable modem.
> >
> > I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit
much. But
> >as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am I
being too
> >demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying to
debug?

Using DSL, you probably need to adjust the MTU (maximum transmission
unit). If it is incorrect for PPPoE (DSL)
you will have alot of re-transmission and slow things down. Typically
PPPoE dsl is set to 1492. You can check it and adjust it
using DrTCP http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp . 1492 isnt set in
concrete. You may ask your service provider what is the
proper MTU to use.

> Wireless is certainly slower than most networks, but much faster
than
> DSL or cable speeds. You shouldn't notice any slowdown using
Wireless to
> access the Internet, but will transfer files, etc. accross your
local
> network slower.
>
> Check to see if you are having connection problems, interference,
etc.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 4, 2005 10:16:20 PM

"Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message

> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> > Bob Stanish wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an
> INEXQ model
> > >ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower
than
> without
> > >it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable
> the
> > >router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what
> they are if
> > >I directly connect it to my cable modem.
> > >
> > > I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit
> much. But
> > >as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am
> being too
> > >demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying to
> debug?
>
> Using DSL, you probably need to adjust the MTU (maximum transmission
> unit). If it is incorrect for PPPoE (DSL)
> you will have alot of re-transmission and slow things down.
Typically
> PPPoE dsl is set to 1492. You can check it and adjust it
> using DrTCP http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp . 1492 isnt set in
> concrete. You may ask your service provider what is the
> proper MTU to use.

PS. Your router may have an option to set the MTU on it. If so
try this first.

> > Wireless is certainly slower than most networks, but much faster
> than
> > DSL or cable speeds. You shouldn't notice any slowdown using
> Wireless to
> > access the Internet, but will transfer files, etc. accross your
> local
> > network slower.
> >
> > Check to see if you are having connection problems, interference,
> etc.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 4, 2005 10:38:51 PM

I've never had DSL, but I've had cable internet access for years and
I've used several routers of varying brands. Still, I have never
noticed any noticeable lag in speed due to those routers. Then again,
I'm a tinkerer. I play with all of settings just to see what they do
and how they affect performance. Having said that, it is my
recommendation that you read the manual and learn what each setting
does. Questions: Are you noticing a lag in speed wirelessly? If so,
what about from a computer that is connected directly to the router via
ethernet cable? Is it lagging, too. Do you have a PPPoe connection
and if so, did you check the PPPoe setting in the router's menu? What
OS are you using? Let us know so that we can best provide you with the
pertinent answers you seek.

--
doug Jamal
a b F Wireless

Thanks Peter, I guessed that this was abnormal, but needed confirmation.
Now that I know I've got a problem, I can at least start to take measures to
understand how to fix it.

Defining the problem is 75% of the way to correcting it.

Thanks for the feedback.

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Bob Stanish wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ
>> model ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower
>> than without it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired
>> Ethernet cable to the router, is experiencing network speeds that are
>> only 1/4 of what they are if I directly connect it to my cable modem.
>>
>> I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit
>> much. But as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my
>> expectations? Am I being too demanding or is there something wrong
>> that I should be trying to debug?
>
> There's definately something wrong... Shouldn't effect performance more
> than maybe 5-10%...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 5, 2005 5:34:11 AM

Doug,
I'm running Win XP with the latest service pack(SP3) and am connected to
DSL. As I identified in my earlier post, I tested the speed directly
(bypassing the wireless router) and through the router, both times directly
connected (to eliminate any potential transmission/interference issues) and
came up with this throughput discrepancy. About the only explanation I can
come up with is my wireless router introducing a lag.
I checked my router settings and I'm running dynamic IP addressing vs PPPoe.
Could that be the reason I've got a performance problem? The connections
all work...they're just very slow.

..
"doug Jamal" <doug.Jamal.1icnga@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
news:D oug.Jamal.1icnga@WiFi-Forum_dot_com...

> I've never had DSL, but I've had cable internet access for years and
> I've used several routers of varying brands. Still, I have never
> noticed any noticeable lag in speed due to those routers. Then again,
> I'm a tinkerer. I play with all of settings just to see what they do
> and how they affect performance. Having said that, it is my
> recommendation that you read the manual and learn what each setting
> does. Questions: Are you noticing a lag in speed wirelessly? If so,
> what about from a computer that is connected directly to the router via
> ethernet cable? Is it lagging, too. Do you have a PPPoe connection
> and if so, did you check the PPPoe setting in the router's menu? What
> OS are you using? Let us know so that we can best provide you with the
> pertinent answers you seek.
>

> --
> doug Jamal
> brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 5, 2005 5:45:35 AM

Thanks Ken,
but I thought of that and turned off the firewall feature ( and other
filtering aspects) from the router. I've already got a robust firewall
program on my workstations and the router version was redundant.
Unfortunately it didn't help. Another poster is suggesting that perhaps
I've got the the router incorrectly configured. I'm running dynamic IP
addressing (since I've got several possible laptops that could connect...got
kids...you know.....), vs. PPPoe. I'm not yet sure of the implications of
changing since I have not yet read up on the differences in the settings.
Gotta read up on that....perhaps that's my problem????

"Ken Morano" <moranoSPAMKILLER@gte.net> wrote in message
> I'm a newbie.
> I just hooked up a wireless router and noticed an annoying lag when
> opening web pages.
>
> The salesman, where I bought the router, had told me to plug the router
> directly into my existing firewall. When I learned that the router itself
> was a firewall, I removed my old router and the lag disappeared.
>
> Could that be your problem??
>

> "Bob Stanish" <rstanish@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an INEXQ
>> model ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH slower than
>> without it. My desktop, which is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable
>> to the router, is experiencing network speeds that are only 1/4 of what
>> they are if I directly connect it to my cable modem.
>>
>> I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is really a bit much.
>> But as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my expectations? Am I
>> being too demanding or is there something wrong that I should be trying
>> to debug?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 5, 2005 5:45:36 AM

That actually ties right into what I was gonna mention.. There are certain
software firewalls - running on the workstations, that directly conflict
with the wap/router and may be causing things to slow way way down.
Try to temporarily turn off the SOFTWARE firewall. (notice the word
*temporarily*... just turn it off to try it, and see if that may be your
problem)

PS.. what OS are you running? If xp sp2 there is a firewall in that also...
Two software firewalls could cause problems.

Bob Stanish wrote:
> Thanks Ken,
> but I thought of that and turned off the firewall feature ( and other
> filtering aspects) from the router. I've already got a robust
> firewall program on my workstations and the router version was
> redundant. Unfortunately it didn't help. Another poster is
> suggesting that perhaps I've got the the router incorrectly
> configured. I'm running dynamic IP addressing (since I've got
> several possible laptops that could connect...got kids...you
> know.....), vs. PPPoe. I'm not yet sure of the implications of
> changing since I have not yet read up on the differences in the
> settings. Gotta read up on that....perhaps that's my problem????
>
> "Ken Morano" <moranoSPAMKILLER@gte.net> wrote in message
>> I'm a newbie.
>> I just hooked up a wireless router and noticed an annoying lag when
>> opening web pages.
>>
>> The salesman, where I bought the router, had told me to plug the
>> router directly into my existing firewall. When I learned that the
>> router itself was a firewall, I removed my old router and the lag
>> disappeared. Could that be your problem??
>>

>> "Bob Stanish" <rstanish@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I just connected up a wireless router to my DSL system. It's an
>>> INEXQ model ISW54U (802-11G) and found that the performance is MUCH
>>> slower than without it. My desktop, which is connected via
>>> hardwired Ethernet cable to the router, is experiencing network
>>> speeds that are only 1/4 of what they are if I directly connect it
>>> to my cable modem. I know that wireless adds overhead etc. but this is
>>> really a bit
>>> much. But as I said, I'm a newbe so perhaps it's just my
>>> expectations? Am I being too demanding or is there something wrong
>>> that I should be trying to debug?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 5, 2005 7:04:07 AM

Bob Stanish wrote:
> Doug,
> I'm running Win XP with the latest service pack(SP3) and am connected to
> DSL. As I identified in my earlier post, I tested the speed directly
> (bypassing the wireless router) and through the router, both times directly
> connected (to eliminate any potential transmission/interference issues) and
> came up with this throughput discrepancy. About the only explanation I can
> come up with is my wireless router introducing a lag.
> I checked my router settings and I'm running dynamic IP addressing vs PPPoe.
> Could that be the reason I've got a performance problem? The connections
> all work...they're just very slow.
>
> ..
> "doug Jamal" <doug.Jamal.1icnga@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
> news:D oug.Jamal.1icnga@WiFi-Forum_dot_com...
>
>>I've never had DSL, but I've had cable internet access for years and
>>I've used several routers of varying brands. Still, I have never
>>noticed any noticeable lag in speed due to those routers. Then again,
>>I'm a tinkerer. I play with all of settings just to see what they do
>>and how they affect performance. Having said that, it is my
>>recommendation that you read the manual and learn what each setting
>>does. Questions: Are you noticing a lag in speed wirelessly? If so,
>>what about from a computer that is connected directly to the router via
>>ethernet cable? Is it lagging, too. Do you have a PPPoe connection
>>and if so, did you check the PPPoe setting in the router's menu? What
>>OS are you using? Let us know so that we can best provide you with the
>>pertinent answers you seek.
>>

>>--
>>doug Jamal
>>brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/

Bob, it is my understanding that most DSL subscribers have a PPPoe
connection, especially those who logon prior to gaining access to the
internet. Clicking the PPPoe section in the router's menu will provide
you with a place to type in your DSL username and password so that you
wouldn't have to everytime you wanted to surf the web. Now that I'm
thinking about it, I can't see how that would cause a degradation in
speed especially when connected directly via an ethernet cable. Try
resetting the router to its default settings and see if the lag
continues. If so, exchange the router for another one or purchase a
different brand such as the D-Link DI-624. Let us know what happen.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 5:35:09 PM

My apologies for wasting everyone's time on this newsgroup. I finally got
some time today to test the router and I think I now know what the problem
was. I had not rebooted the router for months (no reason to), but once I
did the speed went dramatically up (from 45kb over 220kb). I still don't
fully understand why, but am now starting to guess that there must be
buffers,etc. that are not getting released and as they slowly get filled up,
my router slows down.

Looks like I've wasted everyone's time here. All I had to do was reboot.
......sometimes it's the simplest things that get you.

I understand my bypass doesn't solve the root cause, but it's a minor
annoyance to reboot every once in a while.

!