Can't install hardware

January 15, 2005 3:56:39 PM

Not sure if you've fixed this by now, but XP SP2 also FUBAR'ed my PC
and I my Radeon 9800 pro wasn't showing up under device manager- in
fact, there were no display adapters, and the ATI driver installer
wouldn't install either, telling me that I had to have at least a VGA
adapter driver installed.

In my case, luckily the CPU to AGP bridge driver for my VIA chipset
was flagged in device manager (said it could find no free resources).
A simple reinstall of the latest chipset drivers fixed it. Might be
worth a try in your case.

garywsp (garywsp@discussions.microsoft.com) wrote:

>I attempted to replace the video card on my daughter's three year old
Athlon
>XP 1600+ system (with 768MB ram, win xp/sp2, Soundblaster Live card).
Old
>card was Leadtek Geforce2 MX400, new card an ATI Radeon 9600. The
Radeon
>driver installation wizard would not complete, kicking me out saying
to use a
>standard vga driver prior to running the wizard. Unfortunately, the
system
>was already in vga mode ("VgaSafe") (although I could not determine
how to
>choose a generic manufacturer and model as in Win95 days). I then
attempted
>to reinstall the old Geforce card, but ITS installation wizard would
abort.
>At this point, I also couldn't get control panel to open (it would
error)
>and, thus, I reinstalled WinXP. I did not yet apply any service
packs, so I
>have a 'build 2600' system.

>After the reinstallation, I tried to install the Radeon card again,
and the
>wizard failed again. I then retried installing the original card
and, while
>the installation wizard appears to be successful, upon reboot the
video card
>is not recognized by the system (no display adapter). No 'new
hardware
>found' prompts either.

>[Not to possibly confuse apples and oranges, but a few months ago I
tried
>replacing the Live! sound card with an Audigy, and an Audigy 2, and
in each
>case the system wouldn't recognize or see the installed cards. I
installed
>them in different slots, etc. But in that case, the original card
properly
>reinstalled.

>I have attempted installing the drivers with the included install
disks, and
>from the newest drivers provided by the Nvidia and ATI sites. I am
at wits
>end, and appreciate all advice. If I need to completely reformat my
drive,
>would appreciate tips on how to prepare a driver disk (and how to
find the
>drivers for my dvd rom drive, modem, etc). Thanks.

More about : install hardware

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 12:35:01 PM

I am also having problems with hardware installation under XP SP2. I have a
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller that says there are insufficient
resources to run and a NetMos PCI Parallel Port that will not start. And I
also have had to unload a Dynex USB 2.0 4-Port Hub because it kept causing my
computer to reboot or would not allow it to enter the operating system from a
boot, quickly flashing a screen with lots of writing on it before rebooting
the computer again.

I have checked the website for NetMos (now MOSCHIP) and apparently it is not
providing updated drivers for all of the NetMos hardware. However, the
original driver worked fine under the prior version of XP. The Controller
also worked fine under the prior version of XP.

!