x64 Apic message

adontech

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2005
I've got Windows Server 2003 Standard running on a Dell Optiplex GX280 with: P4 3.6 processor, 2GB ram, and a SII 3114 SATARaid controller with mirrored drives. I came in Monday and the computer was turned off (which is unusual). I turned it on and after successful post and as soon as windows starts to boot, I get the following message:
Windows could not start because of a general computer hardware configuration problem. Attempting to load an x64 operating systems, however this system does not have the APIC configured. Check your firmware settings. Make sure that the firmware has enabled the advanced programmable interrupt controller (APIC) on this system. If the firmware does not have an APIC setting, please contact the system manufacturer for a firmware update to enable the local APIC.

The machine displays this message and will not boot. I've tried upgrading the bios, last known good config, safe mode, debugging mode, etc., etc., with no luck. Even Google comes up short on this one. Any guesses?

adontech

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2005
I updated from bios version A03 to A05, because of this issue since A03 didn't have an APIC setting. A05 doesn't have an APIC setting either. What's weird is that this box is not running a 64bit version of windows and I have not tried to install a 64bit version of windows.

adontech

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2005
I am positively sure it says x64. And power management is ACPI (advanced configuration and power interface). The message I'm seeing is APIC (advanced programmable interrupt controller).

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I googled around a bit and it seems lots of people are having APIC problems with the GX280. I haven't found one with a resolution yet though...
Someone in a forum mentioned a setting called IOAPIC needing to be set to ON for XP sp2 to boot. I'm sure Serv2k3 SP1 is about the same.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

riser

Illustrious
I had to deal with Dell tech recently. I got the Asian guy who knew it all.

I had a computer hard drive die. I turned the PC on to listen to the drive and make sure it was dead.. and the power supply went out. The HD was clicking and not found in BIOS.

So I called up and talked with the tech, told him I needed a new PSU and HDD.. He didn't want to send me the PSU because that happened after the HD failed and it was my fault. I bitched him out for 20 minutes on that one.

Then he wouldn't send me a HD because he wanted to test it before sending me a new one.

So what's he do? He finally ships me a PSU and wants me to call him to troubleshoot the drive. I told him it returned an error code 67 which is electrical on the hard drives using Dell's diagnostics.

Buying the Gold Support is so worth it.. you always get an American and they'll do whatever you want and not argue with you.. you want a new HD, they'll send it without asking questions.