Page size error after upgrading from XP Home to XP Profess..

System boots up very slow or sometime just hangs. Error message box displays
stating that page size is too small. When system does boot up, it generally
runs slow - take a long time to refresh shortcut icons on desktop.

I'm not sure what caused this or what I need to set the virtual memory page
size to. I've tried setting it to "system managed" to no effect. Any idea?

thanks.

What is the actual message? Open the Event Viewer and look under System.

Event ID & the Event Source are very important.

To open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK

For any Events that seem related to the problem...

Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:

Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

This can also be very useful.
You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.

Windows XP Professional Events and Errors
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033

In the mean time try this..

Check to see if it's set to System managed size.

To change the size of the virtual memory paging file
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators
group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to
a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this
procedure.

1. To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and
then double-click System.

2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

3. On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.

4. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging
file you want to change.

5. To have Windows choose the best paging file size, click System managed
size.

System managed size
[[Click to have Windows choose the best size of the paging file.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:04D25557-7FA4-4FA1-9B3B-0FD5D8883575@microsoft.com,
DR <DR@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> System boots up very slow or sometime just hangs. Error message box
> displays stating that page size is too small. When system does boot
> up, it generally runs slow - take a long time to refresh shortcut
> icons on desktop.
>
> I'm not sure what caused this or what I need to set the virtual
> memory page size to. I've tried setting it to "system managed" to no
> effect. Any idea?
>
> thanks.

Thanks for the response. I've tried changing the virtual memory paging size
to both system managed and to the recommended initial size 1534 MB to no
avail. The system still hangs during start up and runs slow.

I get the following message every time I go back in to the control panel
system properties to update the paging file:
"Windows created a tempory paging file because of a problem that occured
with your paging file configuration when you started your computer."

I am able to change the paging file size, it always saves the new value that
I enter, but the total paging currently allocated for all drives at the
bottom always remains at 0 MB. I only have one drive letter C: assigned to
my hard drive. The only other drive E: is for removable storage (memory card
reader).

Any ideas why Windows doesn't seem to be taking my virtual memory page size
changes?

Thanks again.
-dr

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> What is the actual message? Open the Event Viewer and look under System.
>
> Event ID & the Event Source are very important.
>
> To open the Event Viewer...
> Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
>
> For any Events that seem related to the problem...
>
> Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
> arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
> Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:
>
> Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
> Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful
>
> HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427
>
> This can also be very useful.
> You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.
>
> Windows XP Professional Events and Errors
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033
>
> In the mean time try this..
>
> Check to see if it's set to System managed size.
>
> To change the size of the virtual memory paging file
> You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators
> group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to
> a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this
> procedure.
>
> 1. To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and
> then double-click System.
>
> 2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
>
> 3. On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
>
> 4. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging
> file you want to change.
>
> 5. To have Windows choose the best paging file size, click System managed
> size.
>
> System managed size
> [[Click to have Windows choose the best size of the paging file.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:04D25557-7FA4-4FA1-9B3B-0FD5D8883575@microsoft.com,
> DR <DR@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > System boots up very slow or sometime just hangs. Error message box
> > displays stating that page size is too small. When system does boot
> > up, it generally runs slow - take a long time to refresh shortcut
> > icons on desktop.
> >
> > I'm not sure what caused this or what I need to set the virtual
> > memory page size to. I've tried setting it to "system managed" to no
> > effect. Any idea?
> >
> > thanks.

Have a look here...
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Scroll down, almost to the bottom to:

Problems with Virtual Memory

There are six things to check out.

Also, have a look at this...

Paging file functionality requires system account permissions and proper
size
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;259151

Maybe this...

Changes to Paging File Settings Are Not Retained
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242447

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A3A49301-85EF-48FA-8D30-79ECC48BC526@microsoft.com,
> [...]
>> paging file you want to change.
>>
>> 5. To have Windows choose the best paging file size, click System
>> managed size.
>>
>> System managed size
>> [[Click to have Windows choose the best size of the paging file.]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:04D25557-7FA4-4FA1-9B3B-0FD5D8883575@microsoft.com,
>> DR <DR@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> System boots up very slow or sometime just hangs. Error message box
>>> displays stating that page size is too small. When system does boot
>>> up, it generally runs slow - take a long time to refresh shortcut
>>> icons on desktop.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what caused this or what I need to set the virtual
>>> memory page size to. I've tried setting it to "system managed" to

I am having the same problem and have spent two days trying to figure this
out to no avail. Have you been able to fix your problem and how?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Check to see if it's set to System managed size.
> >>
> >> To change the size of the virtual memory paging file
> >> You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the
> >> Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your
> >> computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also
> >> prevent you from completing this procedure.
> >>
> >> 1. To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control
> >> Panel, and then double-click System.
> >>
> >> 2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
> >>
> >> 3. On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
> >>
> >> 4. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the
> >> paging file you want to change.
> >>
> >> 5. To have Windows choose the best paging file size, click System
> >> managed size.
> >>
> >> System managed size
> >> [[Click to have Windows choose the best size of the paging file.]]

So far, no. Based on what I've read from Wesley's response I think there is
a problem with my user permissions since I've upgraded to XP Pro. I think
Windows is not giving me authority to update/create a paging file to store
the virtual memory settings. I've tried granting "FULL CONTROL" to all user
groups in the C: drive properties security tab, but I still cannot get the
VM setting to take.

Someone I work with told me to check the the user/passwords setting in the
control panel to verify my sign on user has administrator rights. If not,
log on as administrator and add my user to the administrator group. I'm
going to try this tonight. I'll keep you updated.

If anyone has any other ideas please let met know. Thanks.

-dr

"Vicki" wrote:

> I am having the same problem and have spent two days trying to figure this
> out to no avail. Have you been able to fix your problem and how?
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > Have a look here...
> > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
> >
> > Scroll down, almost to the bottom to:
> >
> > Problems with Virtual Memory
> >
> > There are six things to check out.
> >
> > Also, have a look at this...
> >
> > Paging file functionality requires system account permissions and proper
> > size
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;259151
> >
> > Maybe this...
> >
> > Changes to Paging File Settings Are Not Retained
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242447
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:A3A49301-85EF-48FA-8D30-79ECC48BC526@microsoft.com,
> > DR <DR@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > Thanks for the response. I've tried changing the virtual memory
> > > paging size to both system managed and to the recommended initial
> > > size 1534 MB to no avail. The system still hangs during start up and
> > > runs slow.
> > >
> > > I get the following message every time I go back in to the control
> > > panel system properties to update the paging file:
> > > "Windows created a tempory paging file because of a problem that
> > > occured with your paging file configuration when you started your
> > > computer."
> > >
> > > I am able to change the paging file size, it always saves the new
> > > value that I enter, but the total paging currently allocated for all
> > > drives at the bottom always remains at 0 MB. I only have one drive
> > > letter C: assigned to my hard drive. The only other drive E: is for
> > > removable storage (memory card reader).
> > >
> > > Any ideas why Windows doesn't seem to be taking my virtual memory
> > > page size changes?
> > >
> > > Thanks again.
> > > -dr

> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033

Everything I've tried hasn't worked. I'm basically back to square one, if
anyone's got any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
-dr

TRENDING THREADS